Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Composite Monitor - CM13L Super Brain, Inc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Composite Monitor - CM13L Super Brain, Inc.

I got this color monitor with some Apple II gear several years ago and have not used it much. I pulled it out last week and noticed some wavy lines and color bleed. I would like to recap it but am not sure where to start. I have been unable to find many references to it on the web. Several caps look to have slight bulging but nothing catastrophic.

What approach do you recommend and what source for the caps?
    Thank you.

AlaskaCC
    Attached Files

Re: Composite Monitor - CM13L Super Brain, Inc.

Originally posted by AlaskaCC View Post
    Several caps look to have slight bulging but nothing catastrophic.
    Which could explain why the monitor is still working but not working exactly "right".

Slightly bulging mean those capacitors have already either started to fail or are failed already. So you should definitely get them replaced. In fact, it may be a good idea to replace all caps in the monitor, as they are over 35 years old already - that's almost twice past their projected useful life. Fortunately, caps from the mid/late 70's and early 80's were made pretty well, so they often end up lasting much longer than designed. But still, if you don't have an ESR meter to check the caps as you pull them out of the monitor, then it's best to replace them all.

Originally posted by AlaskaCC View Post
    What approach do you recommend and what source for the caps?
    Start with the big caps first and any caps that appear to have been in a hot spot. If there aren't that many caps, then just replace all electrolytic caps.

As for what replacements to get: general purpose (GP) 85°C caps should do just fine, as this is what the monitor likely has right now (I know those light-blue Nichicon caps are general purpose for sure). If not, 105°C GP caps should work too. So something like Panasonic M or EB series, Nichicon VZ or VR series, United Chemicon KMG series, and Rubycon YK or PX series should all be fine.

Entry-level low-ESR should also be fine, and in fact may be easier to find/obtain. For these, look for Panasonic FC, Nichicon PW/PS/PM/PJ, United Chemicon LXZ/LXY/LXV/KY, and Rubycon YXJ/YXF.

Source for caps: online, either through Digikey and Mouser if you are in the USA, or even Badcaps.net/store if you can find all the caps you need there (helps support the forum too ). Avoid eBay, Amazon, and Ali Express, as there are often too many counterfeit cap sellers on there.
    Last edited by momaka; 12-15-2017, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Re: Composite Monitor - CM13L Super Brain, Inc.

looks like an old hitachi tv.
      first check is the 4.7-10uf 160-250v near the fly.
      the last "super brain" monitor i had used an smps.
      this one does not.
      Last edited by kc8adu; 12-18-2017, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X