MSI Gt70 Dominator Pro no boot no backlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI Gt70 Dominator Pro no boot no backlight

Originally I thought it was a bad BIOS tried re-flashing the bios with no luck, decided to probe around the CPU and i noticed i was getting continuity to ground on both legs of all the smd capacitors. Could this be normal? i noticed if i remove the cpu the caps are acting much more normal (one leg grounded, other floating). I am attaching some photos, i am asking because i never heard about a cpu going bad before. The motherboard is a MS-17631 ver. 1.1
    Attached Files

Re: MSI Gt70 Dominator Pro no boot no backlight

Low resistance is expected on the CPU rail.

Comment

ah ok, i probably should have explained all the symptoms i am having. Laptop will not POST, am not getting any backlights or image. Some keys and power button LED light up. No fans, No HDD, it will charge the battery but that is about it. When i turn it on, it will only stay on for maybe 20 seconds before it cuts off. Getting 1.8v on CPU rail (CPU gets burning hot, which i am sure is normal but the SMD caps and Coils around the CPU are also burning hot, is that normal?) I have reflashed both BIOS chips and its still doing the same thing. What do you think the odds are this is a BGA issue? This is a gaming laptop with onboard video. I am under the impression that when the BGA fails you get blank screen with backlights on which is not the case with this system. Besides the BIOS and EC chips are there any other programmable chips to consider?

Comment

CPU in the picture is an engineering sample, is that normal? i'd try a known good retail CPU first.
        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

I am not sure, I bought the system second hand in its "nonworking" state. One interesting thing is that all the CPU mosfets, coils, large smd caps, and small smd caps come up as shorted from lead to lead, and both leads have continuity to ground. However when i remove the CPU all of these components read as they should. Anything else i can try? If i buy a new CPU what are the chances this motherboard will fry it? Ill check again but i am pretty sure it is a Intel i7
          Attached Files

Comment

@diif already answered about this.

Motherboard shouldn't kill the CPU as it is giving proper VCore at 1.8V (perfectly normal for Haswell CPU) and I guess the other voltages are ok too (usually if they are not correct VCore will not come up).
            OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Ok i tried a good working CPU and have the same symptoms. Is there an easy way to test the onboard BGA GPU?

Comment

Working...
              X