Onkyo TX-SR507 stuck in standby mode/protection mode, relay clicks one time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onkyo TX-SR507 stuck in standby mode/protection mode, relay clicks one time

I would be really happy if someone could help me with this problem. I'm already trying for longer then a year with on and offs to fix this problem.

I have an Onkyo TX- SR507 (schematics added) that is stuck in standby mode. The red light is on if I connect it to the net. When I press the power button I hear a relay clicking. The relay clicks just for one time and then the red light goes back on.

I had a blown capacitor (C6040)and shorted transistors (Q6050, Q6060) at one channel from the receiver. I replaced R6100, Q6050, Q6060 and C6040. Is there something I missed? Or could someone help me with this problem?

Thank you!!
    Attached Files

Re: Onkyo TX-SR507 stuck in standby mode/protection mode, relay clicks one time

Did you also check the resistors in that area? R6070,6080,6090,6100, also check for DC on the center of R6100 at first turn on, there should be close to 0 volts.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      Did you also check the resistors in that area? R6070,6080,6090,6100, also check for DC on the center of R6100 at first turn on, there should be close to 0 volts.
      I checked them all. Only R6070 was shorted. I already had replaced R6100. So now I also replaced R6070 and tried to start it. I pressed the power button (with the back cover not installed) and the R6070 resister exploded directly.

What could be the reason for that?

Comment

What do you mean R6070 was shorted? resistors don't go shorted, they go open, I suspect you are not checking components properly and there are a lot of defective parts in that section of the amp.
        You need to check every transistor and resistor in that section, If R6070 opened it is because Q6040 or Q6030 is likely shorted or biased on hard by one of the drivers connected to its base.
        Re check Q6050 & Q6060, they could also be damaged again, also check R5180 & R5190. You may also want to check Q6070, it may have been damaged when the outputs shorted

To blow C6040 or R6070 would require a high voltage across them (100v?) under normal conditions there is only about 1.2 volts across those components
        As an example if Q6040 and Q6030 were both turned on at the same time you would have aprox. 105 volts across a 50v cap and that poor 100Ω .25w would explode
        Compare your resistance readings on this bad channel to a good channel, that can help find bad components
        Last edited by R_J; 06-15-2019, 10:14 AM.

Comment

What do you mean R6070 was shorted? resistors don't go shorted, they go open, I suspect you are not checking components properly and there are a lot of defective parts in that section of the amp.
          You need to check every transistor and resistor in that section, If R6070 opened it is because Q6040 or Q6030 is likely shorted or biased on hard by one of the drivers connected to its base.
          Re check Q6050 & Q6060, they could also be damaged again, also check R5180 & R5190. You may also want to check Q6070, it may have been damaged when the outputs shorted

To blow C6040 or R6070 would require a high voltage across them (100v?) under normal conditions there is only about 1.2 volts across those components
          As an example if Q6040 and Q6030 were both turned on at the same time you would have aprox. 105 volts across a 50v cap and that poor 100Ω .25w would explode
          Compare your resistance readings on this bad channel to a good channel, that can help find bad components
          Fixed the problem. It was my fault. I didn't checked some transistors that were broken. Replaced them now. When I now try to start I hear a relay constantly clicking around the poweramp. It clicks almost every half a second. What could be the reason for that?

Thank you already for all your help!

Comment

There is likely still a problem and there is still a voltage on the output causing the protection to engage. there must be close to 0 volts on the output going to the speakers, if there is a volt or two that will cause the relay to trip out to protect the speaker from the DCvoltage
            Which other parts were bad? knowing what parts were defective might help in solving the problem.
            Also did you do the idle adjustment after replacing the parts? that may be all that is needed
            Last edited by R_J; 06-21-2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

monitor amp out dc voltage before relay .

Comment

There is likely still a problem and there is still a voltage on the output causing the protection to engage. there must be close to 0 volts on the output going to the speakers, if there is a volt or two that will cause the relay to trip out to protect the speaker from the DCvoltage
                Which other parts were bad? knowing what parts were defective might help in solving the problem.
                Also did you do the idle adjustment after replacing the parts? that may be all that is needed
                I had to replace Q6010, Q6030, Q6040, Q6050, Q6060 and R6070. What do you mean with idle adjustment? I don't know what that means.

Comment

See that adjustment on the base of Q6010, Is the pot there? connect volt meter across P6080
                  See page 21, bottom right:
                  Did you check the voltage on the center point of R6100 yet? If that voltage is off the amp will go into protection.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by R_J; 06-22-2019, 12:27 PM.

Comment

See that adjustment on the base of Q6010, Is the pot there? connect volt meter across P6080
                    See page 21, bottom right:
                    Did you check the voltage on the center point of R6100 yet? If that voltage is off the amp will go into protection.
                    I adjusted them to the right values, but the relay stays clicking. All the pot values were around 1mV and I had to change them to 9-11mV. I also checked the voltage at R6100 and got a value around 0.6mV. Any reason for that?

Comment

That 0.6 volts is what you should read at R6100, and all the other channels at that point.
                      Since there are a lot of relays (10~12) in this amp, which relay is clicking?
                      Last edited by R_J; 06-22-2019, 02:02 PM.

Comment

That 0.6 volts is what you should read at R6100, and all the other channels at that point.
                        Since there are a lot of relays (10~12) in this amp, which relay is clicking?
                        It's not clear which relay that is clicking, but I'm pretty sure that it's RL901 from the power supply board.

Comment

If that is the relay that is clicking, it could be due to a weak +12 volts, C922 could be bad. That is the main power relay, if it is turning off the whole amp will turn off, is that what is happening?
                          Check the POWERD line and see if it is changing

Comment

If that is the relay that is clicking, it could be due to a weak +12 volts, C922 could be bad. That is the main power relay, if it is turning off the whole amp will turn off, is that what is happening?
                            Check the POWERD line and see if it is changing
                            The POWERD line goes after every click back to zero. Before the click it's 10V. What doest that mean?

Comment

Whats the voltage on C922?
                              How were you able to adjust the idle current if the amp keeps turning on and off?

Comment

is unit powered by full mains ?

Comment

Whats the voltage on C922?
                                  How were you able to adjust the idle current if the amp keeps turning on and off?
                                  The voltage at C922 goes at about 10/11 volts and fluctuates then after every click. It goes almost back to zero after every click.

There is still some voltage to the amps before it turns off and i changed the idle current to that voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                                    is unit powered by full mains ?
                                    What do you mean with that?

Comment

Originally posted by waterboy1602 View Post
                                      The voltage at C922 goes at about 10/11 volts and fluctuates then after every click. It goes almost back to zero after every click.

There is still some voltage to the amps before it turns off and i changed the idle current to that voltage.
                                      Are you telling me the voltage on C922 drops to 0 volts? then you have a problem with the standby circuit I suspect C922 is completely open or the diodes are failing or R921 is going open or has a poor solder connection
                                      I would also check the +10VS and the POFF volage on JL901a. This 10 volts supplies the 5 volt regulator ic for the cpu
                                      Last edited by R_J; 06-24-2019, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Are you telling me the voltage on C922 drops to 0 volts? then you have a problem with the standby circuit I suspect C922 is completely open or the diodes are failing or R921 is going open or has a poor solder connection
                                        I would also check the +10VS and the POFF volage on JL901a. This 10 volts supplies the 5 volt regulator ic for the cpu
                                        No, C922 drops from 11V to something around 9V. R921 is alright. I checked +10VS: it fluctuates between every click from 10V to 8.35V. POFF: from 4.77V tot 3.25V with every click.

Comment

Working...
                                        X