Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP 15-AC135NA Dead

Hi Guys,

I have a HP 15-AC135NA that is dead, first I found the chargers pin was bent so straightenened that and tested it in another laptop, all OK, I noticed DC jack was damaged so replaced it with new one, but still it is dead. I have limit experience on laptop motherboards, but following tracks from where power connector is I have found two caps/resistors that are short circuit. Not sure if I am right or not, I have highlighted them in one of the pictures. Any help would be great.
    Attached Files

Re: HP 15-AC135NA Dead

Do you get white LED next to DC-in connector?
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Hi, No the light is not on, I have 19v from charger and 19v on the connector on motherboard so I know it is getting to the motherboard.

Comment

Check voltage on the AD_ID pin, the one connected to the center pin of the AC adapter. One of the 3 bottom pins of PJP1 not sure which one, maybe brown wire. (measure all 3 if unsure)

Comment

Hi, I tested all the pins on the connector and had 19.6v, 19.6v, 0v,0v,0v, 0.69v that is the centre pin of the charger voltage on the connector on the motherboard side.

Comment

Have you checked B+ resistor for short??

Comment

Hi, Where is the B+ resistor?

Comment

maybe a little big resistor mentioned 010,or 020

Comment

Any Idea where this B+ resistor is.

Comment

just above the charger ic after dc in mosfet.

Comment

Measuring the short on the caps how many ohms do you have?

Comment

Hi, The two caps (I suspect they are caps) I highlighted in picture, I get 1.7 ohms. I am still not sure where the B+ resistor is as I am not sure where the charge ic AND mosfet are.

Comment

Green: B+ current sense resistor
                          Red: charger IC
                          Pink: DC-in MOSFETs
                          Attached Files

Comment

B+ resistor is giving 0.5 ohms and getting the beep on the meter

Comment

Originally posted by Andyd1970 View Post
                              B+ resistor is giving 0.5 ohms and getting the beep on the meter
                              So my doubt is correct. Do you have a bench power supply ?? If yes then remove that resistor and inject 1-3volts on the shorted side of that resistor pads. Something will get hot.

Comment

Sorry just to clarify, I have put meter probe on ground and then other probe on each side of the B + resistor and I am getting a beep from the meter so I guess that implies a short to ground

Comment

If you look at the board in the orintation as in pic Piernov sent the short to ground is to the right hand side of that resisitor. I just removed the B + resistor and I have bloody lost it! hope I can replace with something else later I have just noticed a cap with a small bit of damage to the top of it so will remove that and see if short is there

Comment

Yeah so that's on the system side, B+ rail. Lots of components there. If a capacitor looks bad it can indeed be suspected.
                                    Also when injecting voltage always start at 1V and make sure CPU/GPU/PCH don't heat up before going higher to be on the safe side.

Comment

Hi

I removed what I suspect is a cap, if you look at the pic you will see a couple of empty pads just to the right of where it says PUZ00, right in middle of image. I have tested the suspect cap and it is short circuit, so I guess thats was the fault? I have found the B+ resistor on my mat so shall I replace that? would anyone know the value of that short circuit? as I might be able to recover one from a faulty phone or ipad.
                                      Thank you for your help.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Before you replace anything, ensure that you no longer have a B+ rail short.

The B+ resistor is usually about 10mOhms, and is not easy to measure accurately with a typical DMM. The resistor is more than likely fine, but before you re-solder that back in, make sure the short on that B+ rail is now gone. There might have been more than one cap. that was shorted

Comment

Working...
                                        X