Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony XBR-65X900C Sporadic Issues

you dont need to keep hold them pressed
    from the point you plug it back to wall socket count from 1 to 10 then release and never touch it any more

Comment

your TV issue are communication between ram and main processor i think.. as you plug it with LAN all recommend apps and smart apps loading and they occupied the ram so there are no more space to let the firmware run. CPU are responsible to clear the ram and load other script. you can repeat this methode how much you can till clear it.. this will never harm the set at all. other wise you need to reflow the cpu or ram.

Comment

Originally posted by Michale32086 View Post
        Yea, I have moved it back and forth from the display area to the work bench... I am always petrified every time I do it, but I am becoming more comfortable with moving it back and forth...

I have the back off and there doesn't appear to be any bad caps or burn marks..

One of my first thoughts was the symptoms are like the Samsungs when they have a couple charred connections off the Power PCB.. But no such luck with this one..
        Funny you should mention this..

I seem to have a different problem now.. I see a different boot up process when the ANDROID animation is quicker and then I see a ANDROID IS STARTING.... loading apps message and then the TV shuts off...

NOW the biggest problem seems to be that the TV tries to boot up, but shuts off at various stages of the boot process..

And I still can't get a valid Factory Reset...

Next time I move the TV to the workbench, I'll get some shots of the power boards...

Thanx for the reply.. Much appreciated..
        I recently have an xbox original (2003) that would boot up some times and others not so. Moved it from one area to another (obvious different plugs), it would boot up fine. Moved it to another area where there is an xbox that works fine... same cabling used on the "bad one" would not boot. I took the housing off to look inside while booting.... then I saw the fan having a hard time to start... it would go a bit and then stop. The fan gets its power from the main board.... I looked around and see that 3 of the 3300uf 6.3 v caps (hint... likely in the 5v circuit) in the main board area appear to have slight budge and measure out at 10kuf ... :-(

I haven't replaced them yet as local parts don't carry low voltage ones.

Anyway, your problem seems to point to issues with the 5v supply / generation.... hence my suggestion.... I would take a closer look at any place that needs or appears to need 5v plus juice... meaning the voltage might be OK but not enough current.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
          your TV issue are communication between ram and main processor i think.. as you plug it with LAN all recommend apps and smart apps loading and they occupied the ram so there are no more space to let the firmware run. CPU are responsible to clear the ram and load other script. you can repeat this methode how much you can till clear it.. this will never harm the set at all. other wise you need to reflow the cpu or ram.
          Yea, I think a reflow is what got me into this mess.. I might have fried something...

I'll play with resetting it more today... Maybe something will 'pop'...

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
            I recently have an xbox original (2003) that would boot up some times and others not so. Moved it from one area to another (obvious different plugs), it would boot up fine. Moved it to another area where there is an xbox that works fine... same cabling used on the "bad one" would not boot. I took the housing off to look inside while booting.... then I saw the fan having a hard time to start... it would go a bit and then stop. The fan gets its power from the main board.... I looked around and see that 3 of the 3300uf 6.3 v caps (hint... likely in the 5v circuit) in the main board area appear to have slight budge and measure out at 10kuf ... :-(

I haven't replaced them yet as local parts don't carry low voltage ones.

Anyway, your problem seems to point to issues with the 5v supply / generation.... hence my suggestion.... I would take a closer look at any place that needs or appears to need 5v plus juice... meaning the voltage might be OK but not enough current.
            If I can't do a successful reset today maybe you can run thru some voltages with me on Tuesday???

Here are the pics for the 2 power boards...

If the voltages check out, I think I am just going to break down and buy the Main Board..

Kick myself to think that the LAN issue COULD have fixed the original problem had I not gone crazy with the reflow equipment..
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Michale32086; 06-09-2019, 05:53 AM.

Comment

A reflow shouldn't hurt IF you monitor your temps closely.

Comment

I thought this approach was pretty clever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDQNOU2w_ek

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                  I thought this approach was pretty clever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDQNOU2w_ek
                  Yes, a novel idea but a DDR3 chip is smaller and thinner than a processor on a TV.
                  Heating a small part of the board to 220c leaving the rest cold isn't a very good idea for thermal shock reasons. It's the reason rework machines have a bottom heater.

Comment

Looks like they want about 200+ bucks for the mb, wonder if a repair service might be more economical.
                    Last edited by nomoresonys; 06-09-2019, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Michale32086

don't give up. nothings impossible. could you shoot video to see what happen on the set screen and LED indicators when you plug it in wall socket.? also could you post photo of the main board and where you attempted reflow.. ??

Sony TV in general some time need unusual way to repair- some time it need real argue LOL.. for example.

your firmware now v5.433 as the TV set from 2015 production, other Sony in EU of 2016 production got the Android 8.0 Oreo. download one Oreo firmware and let yours TV argue.. it will do the following .. your Recovery will call out to clear data of your pervious firmware. then it will read the RSA KEY of new firmware and try to download it to temp. then your recovery will discover the model No don't matched. so it will reject the USB. and attempted to reset the pervious firmware in place. if we are lucky with this the TV will start on if no other reason.. give it try..

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                        Yes, a novel idea but a DDR3 chip is smaller and thinner than a processor on a TV.
                        Heating a small part of the board to 220c leaving the rest cold isn't a very good idea for thermal shock reasons. It's the reason rework machines have a bottom heater.
                        yes.. but not always.. my lovely rework machines Korean Infared in room Table BBQ

Comment

yes.. but not always.. my lovely rework machines Korean Infared in room Table BBQ
                          Whatever works for you, that's great. You have first hand knowledge. Does it use a GU10 bulb or is it a little larger ? Care to share any photos to help other users ?

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                            Whatever works for you, that's great. You have first hand knowledge. Does it use a GU10 bulb or is it a little larger ? Care to share any photos to help other users ?
                            here you are

Comment

Not bad, I'm all for repurposing things and at 1200W I'd think it has more than enough heat to heat the whole board.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                That's pretty awesome..

I have always been a duct tape/super glue kinda guy..

Comment

Well an update on this..

I believe I have "reflowed" the board to the point of oblivion...

I get absolutely nothing now.. No power LED no nothing.. I haven't checked the voltages but I am fairly sure they will be bad news as well..

One of my (many) weaknesses is the inability to WAIT.. I just plow ahead hoping I get lucky, but usually end up stepping on my wee-wee...

I am home today, but tomorrow I plan on checking the voltages to confirm it's DOA status.. At that point, I have 2 options..

Order a board for $250 +/-....

Put the TV in a safe place and hope another like it comes thru...

The second option is not as unlikely as one might think.. I usually get anywhere from 10-30 TVs a month, oft times more.. The chances of an identical model coming thru is a distinct possibility..

Of course, I could hurry that likeliness along by actually buying the board.. It's my luck that I would pay $250 for a board and then within a day or so, an identical model comes thru!

In any case, thanx for all the help and hints and tips.. I'll follow up tomorrow with the voltages check...

Comment

Attached is a pic of the Main Board.. Not of mine specifically.. I can get a pic of that tomorrow..

I pulled off the heat sinks and put the board on my reflow rig (also pic attached) I actually have a new T8280 Infrared preheat unit.. As you can see from the pic, that one has seen a lot of use..

Anyways, I pulled the heat sinks off and put the AOYUE 968 nozzle on the GPUs, one at a time..

Got the temp slowly up to 235c for 90 seconds...

Subsequent reflows I just heated the board on the T8280 up 370f for 90 secs...

Ironically enough I have another Sony XBR that has a very similar Main Board.. The only difference is that this board doesn't have the connector marked in BLUE.. The one on the XBR65X is an A2072598B. The one of the other XBR (I think it's a 55") is A2072599B

With the board from the 55", I get the Power LED on for a min and then it shuts off...

Like I said, I'll follow up tomorrow.. Maybe we can resurrect the dead..

Thanx again for all your help..
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Update on this...

I have to clear out one of my TV Storage areas..

I came across another SONY XBR with an identical Main Board as the 55".. It's from a 47" so it needs a firmware update...

As I mentioned before the 55" MainBoard does not have the connector marked in blue..

How important is that to the functionality of the 65"??
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Michale32086 View Post
                                        Update on this...

I have to clear out one of my TV Storage areas..

I came across another SONY XBR with an identical Main Board as the 55".. It's from a 47" so it needs a firmware update...

As I mentioned before the 55" MainBoard does not have the connector marked in blue..

How important is that to the functionality of the 65"??
                                        yours 65 are Android. the next should android too with same CPU Type, Same Ram manifacture as well the NAND, all of there should be 100% same. other wise you will toast other parts include the 49 boards too

Comment

Ahhhhh Good point.. OK..

I think I got it working on the 55" which has similar specs (4K, etc etc) to the 65"..

I think I am going to NOT look a gift horse in the mouth..

Comment

Working...
                                          X