Dell Dimension E520

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Dimension E520

This one came in for regular freezing. No BSOD, just complete lockup.

I found one bulged KZG 3300/6.3 cap, so I replaced all KZG.
    The VRM and many field caps are polymers.

The machine continued to show random freezing, so I checked the SMART counters and found the disk errors through the roof. Replacing the Seagate SATA with a new Caviar Black cured the freezing problem.

A Dell tech in Europe suggested using alternate SATA ports will cure the freezing issue. Evidently moving from SATA 2,3 to SATA 4,5 is working for a number of users, on the 9200 series. The E520 only has two SATA ports.

These installations use the iaStor matrix storage driver even if non-RAID.
    Be sure to install the latest Chipset and MSM drivers directly from Intel, and the latest Dell BIOS.

Re: Dell Dimension E520

Got a E521 in today with freezing and mouse power issues (all USB ports). It had a small 470uf 16v United Chem cap near the PCI slot swollen.

Cracked open the PSU and a mixture of Leon and Teapo caps with a few Teapo's swollen.

Comment

Interesting. If the 470uF is bad, it makes one seriously wonder if the rest of the VRM is ready to fail. The bad PSU probably spread its ill-will all over the board.

Comment

Interesting. Our school's machine shop has all dimension E521's, and they have all Sanyo, rubycon, and UCC KZJ. The power supplies are AcBel's, so they might have some bad OST's or teapos in them.

*edit* Interesting. I didn't notice bgavin also put interesting at the beginning of his post.

Comment

the only dell psu i saw with bloated teapo was one hit by lightning while running. i had a liteon made one mysteriously fail on me for some reason. no bad caps. ltec, ost, and teapo everywhere, elite primary caps. none bloated. i gutted it for fan and wire. plugs wew good for my delta 350w mod i did.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

i just rebuilt the guts of a e5 something.
            all the caps in the psu were ost and all were blown.
            the "connolly" mobo had a bunch of kzg blown.the blown ones were on vrm inputs only so i place blame on the power supply for that.
            it got a full poly job.

Comment

KC8, is your rule of thumb with polys to cut the uF to half of the electrolytic?

Comment

Working...
              X