Acer Aspire One D270 Netbook has no Power or Battery charge Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer Aspire One D270 Netbook has no Power or Battery charge Indicator

Well, if PU3 is dead (and it does start to look that way, to me) then there is no way you are getting around it except to replace the chip or the whole board.

SMD work is actually not as hard as it looks, with the right tools and some practice.

If you are willing to make an investment, get a cheap hot air tool on eBay, some liquid flux, solder wick; and practice removing and reinstalling QFN chips on some old\dead boards. There are quite a few videos on YouTube etc which show the process.

The total cost would probably be less than a new motherboard in any case, and you'd have the tools for the future.

If you don't want to do that for whatever reason, then you could try to find someone with a hot air rework tool, they could replace PU3 for you. Again the cost should be less than a new board anyway.

But ultimately, if this isn't just a one-off thing, you really need the right equipment to work on motheboards anyway since practically everything on them is SMT. Without at least a hot air station there isn't much you can replace on them, beyond resistors and capacitors.

Anyway, I hope someone else can give some other advice on the fault because I'm pretty much out of ideas for troubleshooting the board. At this point I would replace PU3 myself and see what happens.

I can think only to say, upload a bunch of photos showing the whole board, both sides, in case there is anything else you may have missed like the missing capacitors.
    Last edited by Agent24; 03-20-2015, 08:46 PM.
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
      Well, if PU3 is dead (and it does start to look that way, to me) then there is no way you are getting around it except to replace the chip or the whole board..
      Yes PU3 is dead (seen smoke come out while testing voltages)

Thank you for all the help. Currently have decided to shelf this project until I can find another board to replace this one. It also needs LCD cable and other things.
      Computer and Small electronics troubleshooting and repair

Comment

update on project... New motherboard, everything is working..unit back together. Thank you everyone for the help.
        Computer and Small electronics troubleshooting and repair

Comment

Where did you buy new motherboard of acer d270?

Comment

Originally posted by spcservicecenter View Post
            Where did you buy new motherboard of acer d270?
            Sir here in manila have. you can pm me. or if you want ill try repair your acer mobo...

Comment

in my case, PC84 is shorted to ground

Comment

Originally posted by muanpuia View Post
                in my case, PC84 is shorted to ground
                Replace PC84?

There is a schematic for this board at Post 10 of this thread.
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                X