• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hair straightener Soldering hotplate

it took 1 minute
    Attached Files

Comment

I tried COF bounding and I failed. I need tempered glass.
      Attached Files

Comment

I tried COF bounding and I failed. I need tempered glass.

It is very difficult to accurately locate the cof precise position.

Help?
        Last edited by capwizard; 04-18-2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

I tried with Kapton tape. Still failed because Kapton tape does not transfer heat.

But I succeeded, I shorted and welded ac wire to an adjustable wrench.

it is funny because the PTC limited ac current to 0.5 A and it welded ac wire to the wrench. ( I have 15A breaker on it, nothing happens, this did not trigger it.)

What I mean is can we use PTC characteristics as an adjustable current limiter for a super simple AC welding machine?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by capwizard; 04-18-2019, 10:23 AM.

Comment

What is the cold resistance of that PTC @ 25c ? That will determine what spike current will be before the PTC resistance goes up.
            Incandescent lamp is also has PTC.
            http://lednique.com/technology-basics/bulb-basics/
            Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

This is a very good question, I have never thought of that.

first PTC is at 126.5 k ohms, heated for 3 sec. it changes to 51.9 k ohms if heated for 5 seconds it changed to 23 ohms! After 10 minutes PTC stayed at 3.2 ohms then I grabbed it with my hand, it changed to 27.6 k ohms. After 5 more minutes, it changes to 239.4 ohms.

This is the strangest thing I have ever seen. I mean...resistor. This PTC seems to be very sensitive to temperature.

diif... Can you confirm it with yours?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by capwizard; 04-18-2019, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by capwizard View Post
                This is a very good question, I have never thought of that.

first PTC is at 126.5 k ohms, heated for 3 sec. it changes to 51.9 k ohms if heated for 5 seconds it changed to 23 ohms! After 10 minutes PTC stayed at 3.2 ohms then I grabbed it with my hand, it changed to 27.6 k ohms. After 5 more minutes, it changes to 239.4 ohms.

This is the strangest thing I have ever seen. I mean...resistor. This PTC seems to be very sensitive to temperature.

diif... Can you confirm it with yours?
                Thank you for posting your results this will help me a lot
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply
                1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

but-but-but my friend I don't even know what is happening?

29.1c now, PTC is at 298.3k ohms I just barely touched it with my hand and it changed to 91.5k ohms @ 29.5 c then I connect it to the electricity for 3 seconds it goes down to 5.0 ohms.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by capwizard; 04-18-2019, 05:38 PM.

Comment

but-but-but my friend I don't even know what is happening?

Yes yes yes

You have given the information about the way these device behaves and that is a lot of useful information

29.1c now, PTC is at 298.3k ohms I just barely touched it with my hand and it changed to 91.5k ohms @ 29.5 c then I connect it to the electricity for 3 seconds it goes down to 5.0 ohms. 29.1c now, PTC is at 298.3k ohms I just barely touched it with my hand and it changed to 91.5k ohms @ 29.5 c then I connect it to the electricity for 3 seconds it goes down to 5.0 ohms.
                    I have to agree with you that this is very strange behavior for a device

I have one question for you what is the resistance of the device after it gets to operating temperature

As I have mentioned before I have a plan for using a couple of these heaters in a device I want to make so this is why I am very interested in your opservation of this device

This information is giving an insight of how I am going to control these devices

But I going to use the 12 or 24 volt version of these devices

When I have the time and after I finish a project that I working on I am going to buy a few of them but one of them I going to do a forensic autopsy even though the device has has not failed

But I going to go at it as though it has failed to see how it made and it might give me an insight into why it behaves the way it does
                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-18-2019, 07:23 PM.
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Your result shows the resistance goes down with an increase of temperature that will make it NTC, something is not right. Are yuu sure your meter is OK? Resistance to be in 100's of thousands of Ohms at room temp does not sounds right.
                      May be Diff can verify the results of his PTC.
                      You can find out what the resistance is by measuring Current and V drops then calculate the resistance.

If you cool the ceramics the resistance will
                      decrease and more power/energy will pass.

https://www.gmnameplate.com/company/...re-ptc-heaters

PTC heaters utilize Positive Temperature Coefficient materials i.e. materials that exhibit a positive resistance change in response to the increase in temperature. As the temperature increases, the electrical resistance of the material also increases, thus limiting the current flow. Simply put, the material allows current to pass when it’s cold, and restricts current to flow as the threshold temperature increases.
                      Last edited by budm; 04-18-2019, 09:19 PM.
                      Never stop learning

Comment

Could be some NTC and PTC combined.
                        Don't remember mine if is 250 or 270 Celsius at 220V
                        But reading are
                        cold 3.58k
                        5 sec 0.7k increase quick
                        10 sec 218 ohm increase slowly
                        60 sec 244 ohms slowly decrease to 188 ohm then slowly increase to 260 ohms then fluctuate between 260-270 ohms and 0.35-0.4k few seconds later 0.6k and increasing (but during noted last sequence and check again was 0.45k and increasing)
                        To be more clear:
                        After disconnect
                        244 ohms and slowly decreasing until reach 188 ohms
                        Then slowly increased until 260 ohms
                        Then start to fluctuate
                        261 ohms 0.35 Kohms
                        264 ohms 0.38 Kohms
                        268 ohms 0.39 Kohms
                        270 ohms 0.4 Kohms
                        Then jump to 0.6 Kohms ind increasing slowly
                        Few seconds later when I check again was 0.45 Kohms and slowly increasing

Comment

0.8 k ohms on the one I've used and tested and 1.5 k ohms on my other.

Comment

Thank you Mr. diif

first things I did in the morning was to test this controversy PTC thermistor. Yes, First it shows 9.8 K ohms but when I squeeze it they change it to 534.6k and then after 10 minutes it changes back to 323.2K ohms

I think it’s very strange that when I am extruding this PTC which will change the resistance. So I opened one ptc to see what was happened and the result is two pieces of metal, they don't even touch each other? I think that's the reason why.

I have a question can we use this as a pressure sensor?
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by capwizard; 04-19-2019, 08:57 AM.

Comment

I have a question is the brown material conducive sandwich between the two metal plate and if that is case what is the resistance from one end of the brown material to the other end of it
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

no, the brown material is Kapton tape, they did not sandwich between with the metal plates, Kapton tape just warped two metal plates together.

how is it works I don't understand either?
                                Attached Files

Comment

no, the brown material is Kapton tape, they did not sandwich between with the metal plates, Kapton tape just warped two metal plates together.

2 metal plates ( i tested they are both very low ohms) loosely touched together. why they are not shorted together?

How is it works I don't understand either?

HELP!
                                  Last edited by capwizard; 04-19-2019, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Post photo of wire to plate.
                                    If wire go inside then isn’t connected to metal plate.
                                    One may be PTC other NTC.
                                    They are in thermal contact,one is heating the other,when temp reach threshold point current is limited

Comment

I couldn't sleep last night! so, I (picture 1,2,3) the PTC.

The result is, it was not a new technology. In the past, every household has one of PTC in their CRT TV degaussing circuit. (Picture 4, 5)

I need to apologize on the previous posts, I didn't know what that was, so, I threw the PTC away. I hope that I will not cause misleading errors.

I have a question can we use without an aluminum shell?

If I can get ( picture 5), then I can make and design my own PTC heating elements?
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by capwizard; 04-20-2019, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I couldn't sleep last night! so, I (picture 1,2,3) the PTC.

The result is, it was not a new technology. In the past, every household has one of PTC in their CRT TV degaussing circuit. (Picture 4, 5)

I need to apologize on the previous posts, I didn't know what that was, so, I threw the PTC away. I hope that I will not cause misleading errors.

I have a question can we use without an aluminum shell?

If I can get ( picture 5), then I can make and design my own PTC heating elements?
                                        Well, thank you for the clarification, missing data is always the problem.
                                        Never stop learning

Comment

2 non-ferrous metal plates sandwiched with 3 non-ferrous, surface metal plating, PTC (back and front is 7.2 ohms, surface is low ohms) loosely touched together only wrapped loosely with Kapton tape.
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by capwizard; 04-20-2019, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X