bad cap on 7600gt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bad cap on 7600gt

Check other 7600GT cards, and you will probably learn, that there are a lot cards with polymer capacitors, otherwise the exact same reference design.

Polymer capacitors have several distinct advantages, which makes them the better choice on video cards.
    From my point of view, excellent heat resistance, very low esr even at the low capacitance required by most video cards.

Capacitance isn`t a major concern with the actual VRM`s, the lower ESR will be far more important.

But any way, Pany FM will certainly work well, if ambient temperature aren`t that high.

Comment

That FZ's ripple is 1800 and ESR is .022.
      Presumably that is what the circuit is designed for there and it's best to stick close to that.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

On a video card where frequency control is paramount how does one know the capacitance doesn't matter on a random cap and without tracing the circuit?

If you want to be SURE it works properly when you are done stick to the stock values as closely as possible.

In 8mm caps you are looking for something comparable to Rubycon MBZ, Sanyo WG, Samxon GD, or Panasonic FJ.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
          On a video card where frequency control is paramount how does one know the capacitance doesn't matter on a random cap and without tracing the circuit?

If you want to be SURE it works properly when you are done stick to the stock values as closely as possible.

In 8mm caps you are looking for something comparable to Rubycon MBZ, Sanyo WG, Samxon GD, or Panasonic FJ.

thanks for the info , what type of solder should i use for this? should it be lead free? if so what should the % been

Comment

So far a lead free concerns I just clean off ALL the old solder and then use what ever I have.
            Use rosin core for electronics use.
            .022 inch to .032 inch is probably easiest to work with.
            (Larger diameters are harder to work with and take more heat (bad) to get the job done.)

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
              Duno what you mean with "frequency control", i don`t see anything special on video card VRM units, apart from bad cooling, limited space and high ripple currents vs relatively low capacitance and diameter of capacitors.

Read some data sheet of any recent VRM controller, then you will know it too.
              Read a few more and you will get a little more comfortable, with reducing capacitance.
              Frankly speaking, for most VRM controllers and designs, capacitance is a secondary consideration.
              Usually it goes like "choose the capacitors by ESR, and capacitance will be plenty there".

Sure, with this solution it would at least work as long as with the original capacitors, nothing lost, nothing gained.

Comment

Just curious if you replaced the caps on this board, since I have what looks to be the same problem on the same board. Just wondering if it was successful, and if so, what caps did you end up getting as replacements?

Comment

Well, I ended up going to the Panasonic FM, partially because readily available. I put them into tonight and the video card is back up and running! Thanks everyone for you help and input!

Comment

Interesting, I appear to have the same board as well, only I've got 4 blown caps (looks like the fan died & then they went).

Thanks for the GREAT info, I'm going to see if I can find the caps & resurrect this beast. If not, it's a great reason to get a new card.

Out of curiosity, did you guys have eVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT cards?
                    Last edited by iancaz; 04-28-2008, 11:26 PM. Reason: More Info

Comment

I have two 7600GTs in SLI (N7600B Rev:2.2) that I bought on the same day that came out of the same box at Fry's. The heat sinks are different and the caps have different numbers on them. One card has FZ67 and FZ68 1500uF caps and the other has all FZ69 1500uF caps. Anyway, 3 blew on one card and one on the other. I'm re-capping them this weekend, but for now I just pulled them off and I'm just running the one with only one blown cap.

Comment

seems to be a trend. I also have an EVGA 7600GT with 4 out of 6 blown FZ69 1500s. As I am a newbie to cap replacement, can any of you who have successfully recapped this card tell me exactly what part ID you ordered and from where? Thanks.
                        Last edited by theDA; 07-03-2008, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Are you still looking for this information?

Comment

Just had the same problem with an EVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT. 5 of 6 caps labeled with "FZ6C 1500 6.3V" blew with a loud pop. Computer would boot but screen would go black after a certain point in the boot sequence.

Pics:

Good cap is circled below and has the same label as the others.

Can anyone recommend a part number that would be the best match for these capacitors? I'd like to swap these out ASAP.

Funny thing is I just did a cap swap on my Polaroid TV (see: http://www.fixya.com/support/r741402...v_black_screen )

Comment

i would measure the voltage across the 1500's.
                              iirc its less than 2v.
                              if so i would use 820@2.5v solid polys.
                              if you want a no testing or guesswork fix use panasonic fm
                              replace the 470@16 fz also.
                              all those fz caps gotta go.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                                i would measure the voltage across the 1500's.
                                iirc its less than 2v.
                                if so i would use 820@2.5v solid polys.
                                if you want a no testing or guesswork fix use panasonic fm
                                replace the 470@16 fz also.
                                all those fz caps gotta go.
                                I assume you're recommending sticking with the same 1500uf and 6.3V if I go with the Panasonic FMs. I can't seem to find a Panasonic FM that would be the right size. I need something close to 9.5mm diameter x 12mm height.

What about the Rubycons offered here (6.3V, 1500uf, and 10mm diameter x ?mm) ?

Thanks!

Comment

FZ, 1500/6.3v [10mm] ESR/Ripple -> .022/1800
                                  FZ, 470/16v [8mm] ESR/Ripple -> .036/1150

Panasonic FM -> www.digikey.com
                                  Rubycon MBZ or MCZ are okay too.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12343-ND
                                    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12376-ND

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Awesome, thanks for your help!

Comment

Just wanted to follow up in case anyone has similar problems.

Shortly after my first post I bought a set of Rubycon MBZ 1500uF 6.3v Low-ESR capacitors 105C 10mm and a set of Panasonic FM 470uF 16v Low-ESR capacitors 105C 8mm. $8 shipped from eBay.

Installation was no problem. I replaced all of the caps except the one in the upper right of my first picture (1000uF, 16V) in about 1.5 hours and my video card has been running smoothly for a few weeks now. I'll wait to see if the 1000uF blows out or the new ones meet the same fate. Thanks to everyone who provided detailed answers and help.

Comment

Congratulations

I imagine that the old caps blew because they were rubbish, so you should have replaced the 1000uf as well, obviously it's of the same crap quality as the rest

Doubt the new caps will blow, unless something was seriously wrong with the circuit, but then I'm pretty sure you'd notice in less than a week
                                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                          X