This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

4 10' two-headed 16AWG power cords (for my SANs)

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      I was given (took in trade, sold client a newer/faster one) a mint condition Inspiron 1300 laptop with charger & Dell case. Has a single core celeron @ 1.5GHz and 512mb RAM in it. I got the max CPU (Pentium-M 780) @ 2.26GHz and 2gb RAM for it for $20, which is probably about all the system is worth....but given its pristine condition, batt is good, and it works...what the hell.
      This post created from this laptop. Maxed out CPU (Pentium-M 780 @ 2.26) and memory (2gb), and actually runs Win7 ok....not great, but ok. The biggest hangup is the 915G GPU, while I found a driver that will work (no official support past Vista, and that was sketchy to say the least), it just doesn't have the stones for Aero....even getting it to work was tricky....so I just set it up with the stellar XP-look.....and here we are from FF56.0.2.

The one thing this one had over most laptops, CPU swap was all of 6 screws. Two that held the cover plate on, and four to remove the heatsink.....they should all be that easy!
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        This post created from this laptop. Maxed out CPU (Pentium-M 780 @ 2.26) and memory (2gb), and actually runs Win7 ok....not great, but ok. The biggest hangup is the 915G GPU, while I found a driver that will work (no official support past Vista, and that was sketchy to say the least), it just doesn't have the stones for Aero....even getting it to work was tricky....so I just set it up with the stellar XP-look.....and here we are from FF56.0.2.

The one thing this one had over most laptops, CPU swap was all of 6 screws. Two that held the cover plate on, and four to remove the heatsink.....they should all be that easy!
        My latitude E6430 is four screws... as is my Asus X83V. Not common but such designs did continue to exist.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          I think the VooDoo3 graphics card is very likely FUBAR. What I thought was a small scratch on one of the RAM chips is actually a crack, I think. The way I checked: I used a screw driver to scratch the RAM chip in a direction perpendicular to the scratch, and I kept "feeling" the scratch no matter how deeper I went. If that's the case... only remedy would be to find some old SDRAM sticks with 16 Mbit chips... which I have NONE at all. Might put a post up in the "looking to buy" forum when I get to it and confirm if that RAM chips is bad or not. If it is, it's going to be a RAM chip replacement job + who knows what else. But for a VooDoo3 card, I think it's worthwhile.
          Got any old 40GB Maxtors laying around? Looks like they use the same Micron RAM.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...stance.674440/

Comment

Got a free 486 motherboard I can't for the life of me identify (UMC UM8498F, 4x ISA, 3x VLB, 72pin SIMM) with removed cache slots (I think I have some old boards I could remove the sockets from ) and a Gigabyte H61M-S1 that appears to be dirty to all hell, and may be dead as well.
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

id your board here:
              https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/

Comment

It's a AEI/Chicony TK-8498F.

I managed to get some beeps this morning, although nothing much than that. They're unusual for AMI BIOS - they're low in tone, while AMI BIOS uses a higher tone.
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

touch the cache chips, often bad ram gets very hot.

Comment

could be bad caps there! i know bad caps can change the tone of the audio on amplifier and speaker systems! same thing could happen to mobo speakers...

Comment

Cache chips stay quite cold, and I've already replaced the caps (three caps lol, one 1000uF 10v and two 220uF 10v)
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

have you got a frequency counter or multimeter that can read upto the speed of the crystals?

Comment

A pair of MD3200i's. I can fill them with 300G 15K drives (i.e., ~7TB) and use them to host the "working" copies of my VMDKs (so I can put them in a different room from the ESXi servers!)

Comment

Scored a PSP model 1004 (phat) for $7. Case is quite cracked, battery for some reason won't charge on it (works on a 3004 I have tho) but otherwise it works fine. I removed the UMD drive since I don't need it (I have a 1GB MS Pro Duo stick) and cleaned the LCD.
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

is the charging socket good?
                              i had one that wouldnt charge - the center pin was missing!!

Comment

Yeah, it's good. Apparently the charging circuit didn't like the battery at first as the cells weren't active. Placing it into another PSP (a 3004) I have must've reactivated the cells as after letting it charge up until 50% I could then charge it using the 1004.

The only thing left that irks me is the wifi switch, but that may be also because of the pretty beaten up casing it has (gotta order a new one sometime)
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

6 mini-SAS cables -- but, they're only 2m. I guess I'll have to keep looking...

And, 15 2T, 6Gb, Dell-branded SAS drives (so, that fills another SAN shelf with a few spares)

Comment

Free ASUS P5QD Turbo - P45 chipset, J-Micron 361 + Sillicon Image SIL5723.

Looks nice, was just dusty. Has EPS12V connector, a jumper named OV_CPU (which I can either describe as overclock), heatsinks for the MOSFETs.
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Cheap rummage sale find....I'm normally not a yard sale guy....but when driving by and I spot this:

Yea, I stop!! It lights up and appears to work. I haven't fed it a signal yet though. It's all there and intact. One knob missing.
                                      Attached Files
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                      Team : 49813
                                      Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Philco Predicta. Those are PITA's to service.
                                        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

that thing looks awsome - you could probably lease it to film production company's!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X