Clear All

Re: Dell Precision 470 Workstation

nv34 = FX5200 = SUXX

lol

only good for office systems..

Comment

Or a gaming machine built in 2002.

I just put a fx5200 pci 256mb in my old dell optiplex gx110, have it hooked up to a touchscreen with a jukebox program my brother made. Actually can play dvd's considering it has as much video ram as normal ram, and a 733mhz p3.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
        Or a gaming machine built in 2002.

I just put a fx5200 pci 256mb in my old dell optiplex gx110, have it hooked up to a touchscreen with a jukebox program my brother made. Actually can play dvd's considering it has as much video ram as normal ram, and a 733mhz p3.
        Absolutley not, I owned a Geforce4 Ti4200 in 2002
        The whole MX range of cards and the offspring FX 5XXX was even back then a total joke
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

even an old GF3 Ti 200 is faster than a FX5200 (Ultra)
          only drawback is that it doesn't support DX9... but... well.. you cant do anything with that DX9 capable FX5200 because it's too slow for everything lol
          maybe Aero in Vista.. but office-machines with Vista ?! (and especially the more expensive ones that support aero ?!)

like i said.. only good for office-systems... non-gamer with a dual-screen setup for example (DVI + D-Sub)

edit: i had a GeForce 2 Ti with 64MB DDR a few years ago..
          performance-wise it's on the same spot as a FX5200.. but "a few" years older lol

(GF2Ti -> mid-2001 ; FX5200 -> early 2004)
          Last edited by Scenic; 11-23-2008, 02:59 PM.

Comment

FX5200 was probably fine as an update to the MX cards, but they confused everybody by naming it a "5200". It made people think it was comparable to a TI4200, and it's not even close to that. I can't believe nVidia didn't have enough sense to realize the confusion they were creating.

The FX5700 is pretty good though. I had one of those for the last few weeks until it suddenly died. It's a bit faster than the TI4200 but a lot more PSU friendly.

Out of sheer ignorance I almost accidentally bought an FX5700 LE, which is much slower. I really hate those letter modifiers. But I got lucky and my 5700 turned out to really be a plain 5700.

I know of no other computer product where it's so stressful and difficult to figure out "how good is this card?" before buying it. Death to GPU marketers.

Comment

Bought a dual core Intel Xeon Paxville CPU for my Dell, Xeon 7041 sSpec SL8UD
              I thought it would work because I read on a Dell forum that if one updates to BIOS A07 a new field will be shown if the mobo does support Dual Core CPU's "Multiple Core Capable"
              And that field was shown, obviously saying "No" since I had a single core CPU in and the page it is shown on is info about the CPU...

Nevertheless when I pop the Paxville in it's place all that happens is that the fans run at 100% and the first 3 yellow diagnostic LED's are lit signifying "The BIOS is not executing." and a Port80H device confims this just showing "FF"
              Quite the bummer
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                It's a standard Xeon Nocona 2.8Ghz with 800Mhz FSB SL7PD
                I asked because there is a Nocona 2.8Ghz with 533-FSB that was only OEM'ed to Dell. - I know they where used in the 470's by way of an eBay that said what they came out of.

Sspec is SL8GU. - Very hard to find info on.
                http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL8GU.html

I don't know the TDP. (Been looking.) It's said to be a Low Volt CPU and similar Low Volt CPUs @/800-FSB are as low as 55w.
                Some people have gotten it to work in -some- Prestonia boards.

Now, If they are a 533-FSB and the 470 is a 800-FSB board.......
                Do 800-FSB boards slow to 533-FSB with this CPU or a Prestonia installed??
                -
                Probably every one is different but it makes me wonder.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Hi there im new to this forum and it probably isn't the right place to ask but its about the best place google flung up

Anyway i have the dell precision 470 just about same motherboard and PSU as 1st post.
                  I am looking to change the case.
                  I realise this isn't a standard ATX case and im wondering what type of motherboard and PSU this actually is as i dont want to buy a new pc case that i cannot use

Alternativly if the motherboard can fit in a ATX and an ATX PSU can run it i will probably go for it.

Its a great machine and i have to say the best i've seen from dell great build etc

hower my case is bust in several places and id like to get it changed to a horizontal desktop case

Thanks for reading guys and hope somone can help

after looking ive seen this still wondering if it would do the motherboard/psu
                  Last edited by bhuthogg; 03-05-2009, 04:00 PM. Reason: link

Comment

It's proprietary.
                    You either need a Dell case that fits or to custom build a case.
                    The stock case came in both desktop and tower versions.
                    Look on ebay, stripped units show up now and then.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

thanks pcbonez i think i will go for the one above at ebuyer and see how i get on im going to try and keep the original PSU as its going to be silly to replace somthing thats still working.

I'll get the hacksaw out

Comment

I just picked up a Precision 470 out of the dumpster to see if it was worth parts, but realized that all of the 2200uF caps were blown. A little searching online and I found this post. I replaced all the capacitors for $15 and now I have a dual 3.4Ghz Xeon Workstation. Thanks.

Comment

I love it when a plan comes together!

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Bought a dual core Intel Xeon Paxville CPU for my Dell, Xeon 7041 sSpec SL8UD
                            I thought it would work because I read on a Dell forum that if one updates to BIOS A07 a new field will be shown if the mobo does support Dual Core CPU's "Multiple Core Capable"
                            And that field was shown, obviously saying "No" since I had a single core CPU in and the page it is shown on is info about the CPU...

Nevertheless when I pop the Paxville in it's place all that happens is that the fans run at 100% and the first 3 yellow diagnostic LED's are lit signifying "The BIOS is not executing." and a Port80H device confims this just showing "FF"
                            Quite the bummer
                            Tested a new CPU now that really should have worked, according to what I've read...
                            A dual core Intel Xeon Paxville SL8MA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...icroprocessors

This time the system actually does begin POST, but it halts with this error message;
                            Alert! Incompatible processor detected.
                            System halted!

Nothing more happens, perhaps someone knows of a fix for this?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Tested a new CPU now that really should have worked, according to what I've read...
                              A dual core Intel Xeon Paxville SL8MA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...icroprocessors

This time the system actually does begin POST, but it halts with this error message;
                              Alert! Incompatible processor detected.
                              System halted!

Nothing more happens, perhaps someone knows of a fix for this?
                              The only way a SL8MA Paxville CPU will work on a Precision 470 or Precision 670 is to have a specific motherboard in each. Dell has this way of tweaking their boards for upgrades, but not making all their boards compatible with the upgrade (i.e. SL8MA dual core processor). I had a similar issue a while back with a Dell Dimension 8300 board and have seen many other similar cases on the Dell forums.

For the 470, you need Dell Part # 0XC838 or XC838 (same board, but the part # gets interchanged often). You'll need BIOS A07 to make it happen. I just installed dual SL8MA processors in my new XC838 board and my 470 is noticeably faster. It shows up as "Dual Core" in the BIOS screen and CPUZ shows all the specs of the processor, including dual core. I've got hyperthreading on so my task manager shows 8 processors now.

If anyone has a 670, you need the XC837/0XC837 board and the SL8MA will work. It's well documented on the Dell forums and it was the similarity of that part # to the 470 board that made me try it out. I couldn't find any confirmation online that the 838 board would work with the SL8MA, but now I know first hand it works.

I got my XC838 board on eBay. Seller's ID is totski1970 (run by a very cool guy named "Ron"). He doesn't list the part # in his auctions (just look for his 470 motherboard listings), but he will give you the board if asked. I paid $75 + shipping (buy it now). If you're patient, I think his starting bid is $45 and he's sold them for that in the past. Most other eBay sellers are asking much more than that for the XC838.

Ron told me he gets asked often for the XC838, but never understood why until now.
                              Last edited by celly; 05-29-2009, 11:31 AM.

Comment

p.s. See CPU-Z screenshots attached.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to Badcaps celly!
                                  And thanks for your post!

I think I will pass on the new board though, I've wasted enough on this system...
                                  Anyone want to buy the 1x SL8MA CPU or 2x SL8UD contact me...

Comment

Welcome to Badcaps celly!
                                    And thanks for your post!

I think I will pass on the new board though, I've wasted enough on this system...
                                    Anyone want to buy the 1x SL8MA CPU or 2x SL8UD contact me...
                                    Not interested in the CPUs, but I'd love to try out the SL8UD for compatibility. Those things are are just too pricey in the marketplace right now. SL8MAs can easily be had for $100 (and less, there is a guy selling them for $70 today on eBay). The SL8UD seem to be going for around $450+. Too rich for my blood for a jump from 2.8 to 3.0 which is probably not noticeable. I tell you, going from 3.2 GHz single core Xeons to dual core 2.8 was noticeable. The upgrade was worth my while as I paid $200 CAD for the machine. It was brand new, in the box. A local reseller scored it from a bankruptcy. It came with Windows XP Pro installed and had a single 3.2 Ghz Xeon and 2 X 160 GB SATA drives ad a GB of RAM. It's a very fast machine now.

I just thought you'd want to know what the problem was. I came across this thread a week or so ago when I was researching compatibility.

Thanks for the welcome.
                                    Last edited by celly; 05-29-2009, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by celly
                                      Not interested in the CPUs, but I'd love to try out the SL8UD for compatibility.
                                      Did anyone ever get the opportunity to try out the SL8UD and an XC838 board? I have a Precision 470 that I got for free and would be willing to shell out the dough to upgrade. Main reason I want the SL8UD is so I can run Hyper-V or VMware or Windows 7 with XP Mode as it has the VT and XD bit.

Comment

No sorry it does not work
                                        I bought a XC838 board but it does not POST with a SL8UD, works fine with a SL8MA though...

Comment

Damn that sucks... Guess I need to sell this machine and put the money towards a new one that supports VT...

Thanks for the quick reply!

Comment

Working...
                                          X