Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

Originally posted by endevite
    Almost all the caps on the powerboard usually need to be replaced, I use a medium and large guitar pick to help pry the bezel apart. It's good that it at least comes on after awhile, means the there aren't any dead ccfl's, if one goes out the protection circuit kicks in and wont let the backlight come on for more than a second.
    Thanks Endevite, seems is by pressure.

Will use my GTR picks and post a Pic here!
    Thanks so much!

Comment

My Samsung Syncmaster 225BW caps Pic!

Ok here are my Pics:
      I think are 3 bad caps. the ones are together the other ones look fine for me...but I am not an expert at all..I am a newbie here , so I may really appreciate your help, time and advice.

can you please tell me where I can buy those Caps? and also which models are or alternatives that work for them if there are not same brand and model?
      THANKS!

HERE ARE THE LINK FOR THE PICS...SORRY BUT THERE IS SOMETHING WEIRD THAT DID NOT ALLOW ME TO ADD THE PICS HERE.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...6b5604bcb3.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...e7a003b22f.jpg
      Last edited by AMIEL; 01-09-2010, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KickToTheJunk
        Posting an image of my board after the operation (unsuccessful)

See the attached picture.
        which Caps , and brands Model are the 3 caps that are in the Right Bottom Corner?
        I am a total newbie and really do not have any clue, the only thing I do go is soldering.

Thanks!

I attached a pic in my previous post where I can see the Model?? but all have same number but are not same size...???????

Click here and tell me which Caps are the ones in the Right Bottom Corner (3)
        Last edited by AMIEL; 01-09-2010, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AMIEL
          which Caps , and brands Model are the 3 caps that are in the Right Bottom Corner?
          I am a total newbie and really do not have any clue, the only thing I do go is soldering.

Thanks!

I attached a pic in my previous post where I can see the Model?? but all have same number but are not same size...???????

Well, that picture you link to shows all the caps you should replace, because they are all known to go bad, even if they don't show signs of it, they all used bad electrolytic.

I can't remember on hand exactly which caps I've used so lets do this, the caps in that picture with the arrows, tell me the top two's voltage, uf, and series, the bottom middle cap and the 3 on the bottom right.

I think I saw in your picture that 2 of the 3 on the bottom right are series GL, and they are capxon? Let me know and I'll look up what the replacements were, all in all you are probably looking at 3 to 5bux worth of caps from digikey.

Comment

Samsung 225bw Powerboard IP-45130A (with built on inverter circuit) cap replacement.
            ***the 50v 47uf has unheard of ratings, so a match is difficult.

The Old CapXons

2x 25v 820uf GL 10x25 1460ripple 43miliohm 6k hr lifespan
            1x 25v 330uf GL 10x12.5 720ripple 85miliohm 6k hr lifespan
            2x 25v 680uf GL 10x20 1280ripple 52miliohm 6k hr lifespan
            1x 50v 47uf GL 8x11.5 285ripple 50milohm 3k hr lifespan

GL Freq Ripple
            50v47uf: 0.65@120hz, 0.89@1k, 0.97@10k, 1@50kto100k
            Other 3: 0.72@120hz, 0.90@1k, 0.97@10k, 1@50kto100k

My suggestion on replacement.

NCC/Chemi-con KY series and a LXY.

1x 25v 330uf KY 10x12.5 865ripple 32miliohm 7k hr lifespan
            2x 25v 680uf KY 10x20 1400ripple 46miliohm 7k hr lifespan
            2x 25v 820uf KY 10x25 1650ripple 42miliohm 7k hr lifespan

KY Freq Ripple
            330uf: 0.50@120hz, 0.85@1k, 0.94@10k, 1.0@100k
            680/820uf: 0.60@120hz, 0.87@1k, 0.95@10k, 1.0@100k

1x 63v 47uf LXY (to replace the 50v 47uf GL)
            8x12 47miliohm 274ripple 3k hr lifespan

LXY Freq Ripple
            47uf: 0.40@120hz, 0.75@1k, 0.90@10k, 1.0@100k

The digikey parts list.
            ->-\/\/\/\/\/
            1x 565-1855-ND 63v 47uf LXY (ELXY630ELL470MH12D)
            2x 565-1551-ND 25v 680uf KY (EKY-250ELL681MJ20S)
            2x 565-1553-ND 25v 820uf KY (EKY-250ELL821MJ25S)
            1x 565-1547-ND 25v 330uf KY (EKY-250ELL331MJC5S)

As far as a cap that is between 50v and 100v at 47uf with a higher ripple rating, that is no wider than 8mm, No one seems to make it, the LXY is the best I could find. The suggestion I've seen before was a cap with less than a fourth of the original ripple rating. So in my opinion the LXY is best bet for replacing the 50v 47uf. (Checked nichicon,ncc,pan,samxon,rubycon)
            Last edited by endevite; 01-10-2010, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks you so much!
              I changed the caps and the monitor is perfect again!

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Comment

Originally Posted by AMIEL

Thanks!

Compared to the picture in this post, my board says REV0.2 instead of REV0.1 (so I assume it is newer). There are two IC chips between the two center Caps that I don't have on my board.

Samsung 225bw Powerboard IP-45130A (with built on inverter circuit) cap replacement.

The Old CapXons

Additionally, my Caps are a slightly different mix:

Instead of :

2x 820s
                1x 330
                2x 680
                1x 47

I have:

2x 820s
                3x 330s
                1x 47

In other words, the two 680s on the old board have been replaced with two 330s. Should I replace these with the correct corresponding Caps and thus use 3x 330s and no 680s?

Comment

I'm rather new to working on monitors, so pardon my ignorance please..

I've taken a picture of the boards of two different monitors that are experiencing slightly different symptoms, however, I'm very positive that the cause is the same on both..

While I'm not sure what the particulars are for the blown caps, I do know that on both boards, they are C117, C104, and TH101.. Any information that anyone can give me in regards to these particular items and what replacement parts I should be looking to order to fix these two monitors would be GREATLY appreciated..

At the same time, does anyone know of any disassembly/reassembly documents online for the 225BW?? I laid everything out when completely taking apart the first monitor, and my wife decided to move everything without my knowledge, totally destroying the layout I had them in..

Comment

Better pictures would help. i can't make out anything from the pics. My guess is that TH101 is the green circle at the left side of the AC input, and I honestly have not seen one bad so far.
                    Also, what symptoms?
                    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                    • Windows 10 Pro x64
                    • GeForce GT1050
                      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Sorry for the bad pics.. They were taken with my cellphone.. :/

TH101 is indeed the green item to the left of the power input..

The symptoms are different for the two units..

The first unit powers on.. After 3-5 seconds the screen will display for less than a second and then go blank.. I can repeat the power on/off process with the same result numerous times..

The second unit was doing the same, and then the blue power light started blinking rapidly with a barely audible high-pitched "beep" of sorts.. The 2nd unit is the one that I took apart first in an effort to learn more about the LCD system and possibly to fix it..

It's highly possible that with my limited electronics knowledge that I've misdiagnosed which items on the boards are bad.. I'm actually shocked that no one here has offered a more competitively priced repair service to relative "rookies" such as myself as opposed to the common high-priced refurb places that work on these.. LOL!!
                      Last edited by FBR_BDavis; 01-31-2010, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FBR_BDavis

The first unit powers on.. After 3-5 seconds the screen will display for less than a second and then go blank.. I can repeat the power on/off process with the same result numerous times..

The second unit was doing the same, and then the blue power light started blinking rapidly with a barely audible high-pitched "beep" of sorts.. The 2nd unit is the one that I took apart first in an effort to learn more about the LCD system and possibly to fix it..
                        Suggestions/questions
                        1.- List of cap brand/series/values from both units.
                        2.- Pink/red hue is present on the unit before it turns off (1st unit)
                        3.- Try the screen of the 2nd unit on the powerboard/video board of first unit, provided they are the same model.

Originally posted by FBR_BDavis
                        I'm actually shocked that no one here has offered a more competitively priced repair service to relative "rookies" such as myself as opposed to the common high-priced refurb places that work on these.. LOL!!
                        Help around here is free
                        There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                        • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                        • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                        • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                        • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                        • GeForce GT1050
                          2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Last edited by robio376; 02-02-2010, 02:22 AM.

Comment

I also have a 225BW which just started acting up a month after the warranty expired! My 225BW seems to have slightly different symptoms than the others though, I turn it on and the whole screen fades to white spreading from the center outwards, and I have to wait for 30 seconds to a minute on white screen before turning it off and then on again to get the picture back; Otherwise I have to cycle the power button on and off 5 or 6 times.
                            I opened up the monitor today and 5 of the caps are swollen with 3 of them having a bit of brown on top. I will have to see if I can find the needed caps at my local electronic parts shop tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by spycrab
                              I also have a 225BW which just started acting up a month after the warranty expired! My 225BW seems to have slightly different symptoms than the others though, I turn it on and the whole screen fades to white spreading from the center outwards, and I have to wait for 30 seconds to a minute on white screen before turning it off and then on again to get the picture back; Otherwise I have to cycle the power button on and off 5 or 6 times.
                              I opened up the monitor today and 5 of the caps are swollen with 3 of them having a bit of brown on top. I will have to see if I can find the needed caps at my local electronic parts shop tomorrow.
                              The symptoms point to the power to the LCD panel shutting down. You may get lucky and fix it by replacing the bad caps; certainly it is worth a try.

Be very careful when buying caps from your local electronics parts shop. Make sure you emphasize that they must be low ESR capacitors.

PlainBill
                              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                                The symptoms point to the power to the LCD panel shutting down. You may get lucky and fix it by replacing the bad caps; certainly it is worth a try.

Be very careful when buying caps from your local electronics parts shop. Make sure you emphasize that they must be low ESR capacitors.

PlainBill
                                I guess I got lucky then, I replaced the caps and now I instantly get the picture at full brightness and no more fades to white.

The parts store had all the caps I needed, although I had to go for slightly higher voltages on the 820uF (35V instead of 25V) and 47uF (63V instead of 50V) caps. Overall it cost me a total of $7.94 CDN to bring my monitor back to life.

Comment

Two 820uF 25v - 12.5mmx20mm caps will fit this? I'm not quite sure but this is my board layout.

http://i.imgur.com/73Pfz.jpg

Thanks.

Comment

Well Gave up and ordered Panasonic FC series caps (12.5mmx20mm 820s).

Comment

Originally posted by ZippyDan
                                      Compared to the picture in this post, my board says REV0.2 instead of REV0.1 (so I assume it is newer). There are two IC chips between the two center Caps that I don't have on my board.

Additionally, my Caps are a slightly different mix:

Instead of :

2x 820s
                                      1x 330
                                      2x 680
                                      1x 47

I have:

2x 820s
                                      3x 330s
                                      1x 47

In other words, the two 680s on the old board have been replaced with two 330s. Should I replace these with the correct corresponding Caps and thus use 3x 330s and no 680s?

This is interesting as i also have 2x 820's and 3x 330's and no 680's

i am assuming that i cant use the 680's in place of the 330's?

Comment

The Old CapXons

GL Freq Ripple
                                        50v47uf: 0.65@120hz, 0.89@1k, 0.97@10k, 1@50kto100k
                                        Other 3: 0.72@120hz, 0.90@1k, 0.97@10k, 1@50kto100k

My suggestion on replacement.

NCC/Chemi-con KY series and a LXY.

1x 25v 330uf KY 10x12.5 865ripple 32miliohm 7k hr lifespan
                                        2x 25v 680uf KY 10x20 1400ripple 46miliohm 7k hr lifespan
                                        2x 25v 820uf KY 10x25 1650ripple 42miliohm 7k hr lifespan

KY Freq Ripple
                                        330uf: 0.50@120hz, 0.85@1k, 0.94@10k, 1.0@100k
                                        680/820uf: 0.60@120hz, 0.87@1k, 0.95@10k, 1.0@100k

1x 63v 47uf LXY (to replace the 50v 47uf GL)
                                        8x12 47miliohm 274ripple 3k hr lifespan

LXY Freq Ripple
                                        47uf: 0.40@120hz, 0.75@1k, 0.90@10k, 1.0@100k

The digikey parts list.
                                        ->-\/\/\/\/\/
                                        1x 565-1855-ND 63v 47uf LXY (ELXY630ELL470MH12D)
                                        2x 565-1551-ND 25v 680uf KY (EKY-250ELL681MJ20S)
                                        2x 565-1553-ND 25v 820uf KY (EKY-250ELL821MJ25S)

As far as a cap that is between 50v and 100v at 47uf with a higher ripple rating, that is no wider than 8mm, No one seems to make it, the LXY is the best I could find. The suggestion I've seen before was a cap with less than a fourth of the original ripple rating. So in my opinion the LXY is best bet for replacing the 50v 47uf. (Checked nichicon,ncc,pan,samxon,rubycon)

I ordered these from DigiKey, but they tell me they are out of stock and only expect them back in stock in APRIL. Can someone advise an acceptable alternative?

Comment

well i have replaced all the caps. My monitor turns on now after having the usual on for a second then off problem. However now the screen has a very red color to it. i can still see the images and text but its red. Anyone seen this problem before? and for some reason my menu button is not working. i cant bring up the adjustment screen.

here is a bad picture of the problem. http://twitgoo.com/dryol

Comment

Working...
                                          X