Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

I have a 225bw that just quit.. had no problems then a black screen. The blue led blinks about once a second but thats it, no screen flash no errors just black! i don't mind taking her apart and digging around if directed in the right direction.. is this a capacitor issue? or sound like something different? thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SLBEngineer
      My Son has a Samsung Syncmaster 226BW. When it comes on it shows the analog box then goes black. After reading the post I took it apart and the caps looked good, but I replaced C110, C111 and C112. I then read further and found I can shine a flashlight into the screen and see the faint desktop. Can other bad caps cause this problem? I have checked the fuse and it appears to be good. I am looking at this section of the post

" If the resistance between the pairs of blue points is greater than 50 ohms, proceed with the following test. Hook the board back up to the CCFLs and the logic card. Fasten it in place with at least the two screws at the side with the CCFL connectors. Note that each CCFL connector has 4 pins. For convenience we will number them from left to right as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8. Not also that the odd number pins are the pins that were circled in blue. Also, the wires that connect to them may be smaller in diameter. If they are the larger diameter wires STOP!! Do not continue!!!"

I have checked the resistance and found red connectors read 1085 and 1094 ohms, and the blue connectors read 719 and 720 ohms.

What else could cause my problem?
      Double posting doesn't help. Posting ambiguous results doesn't help either.

I've said it many times, we (I) don't have a crystal ball. I've never seen this particular monitor before, and anyone who has probably isn't interested in taking it apart to see what you are talking about. Post pictures!!!

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by skeppers
        I am unsure, how do I determine their ESR rating?
        You look it up in the data sheet for the caps.

OK, I'm done playing with your head. The problems you are seeing have been reported by others who used general purpose (NOT low-ESR) caps when repairing their monitor. Go read the FAQ, paying particular attention to the 'What kind of Caps should I use' and 'Where can I buy caps' threads.

PlainBill
        Last edited by PlainBill; 12-16-2009, 06:33 PM.
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by ramtrolll
          I have a 225bw that just quit.. had no problems then a black screen. The blue led blinks about once a second but thats it, no screen flash no errors just black! i don't mind taking her apart and digging around if directed in the right direction.. is this a capacitor issue? or sound like something different? thanks!
          It could be bad caps, it could be a problem with the inverter. The first step is to open the monitor up and see if anything looks bad.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
            It could be bad caps, it could be a problem with the inverter. The first step is to open the monitor up and see if anything looks bad.

PlainBill
            got her opened up and all looks fine to me..no discolored caps or anything like that. Seems the board with the caps i have is slightly different then the one you posted earlier in the thread where you circled the drivers in blue... mine doesn't have those? but from looking through the thread these are what i'll get
            Qty Part# Mfr Part# Desc Unit Price
            2 565-1800-ND ELXY250ELL821MK20S CAP 820UF 25V 0.86
            ELECT LXY RAD
            3 P10272-ND EEU-FC1E331L CAP 330UF 25V 0.47
            ELECT FC RADIAL

680 uF 25v GL 105 DEG C C713 Vent (2 of them) P10277-ND @$.72 each

47 uF 50V GL 105 DEG C C712 Vent (1 of them) P10321-ND @ $.28 each

wish me luck!!

Comment

got her opened up and all looks fine to me..no discolored caps or anything like that. Seems the board with the caps i have is slightly different then the one you posted earlier in the thread where you circled the drivers in blue... mine doesn't have those? but from looking through the thread these are what i'll get
              Qty Part# Mfr Part# Desc Unit Price
              2 565-1800-ND ELXY250ELL821MK20S CAP 820UF 25V 0.86
              ELECT LXY RAD
              3 P10272-ND EEU-FC1E331L CAP 330UF 25V 0.47
              ELECT FC RADIAL

680 uF 25v GL 105 DEG C C713 Vent (2 of them) P10277-ND @$.72 each

47 uF 50V GL 105 DEG C C712 Vent (1 of them) P10321-ND @ $.28 each

wish me luck!!
              Luck?? We don't need luck!!! We depend on science.

If there were no obviously bad caps the odds are recapping won't solve the problem. There are other tests to try.

PlainBill

Comment

Luck?? We don't need luck!!! We depend on science.

If there were no obviously bad caps the odds are recapping won't solve the problem. There are other tests to try.

PlainBill
                do tell what the most common tests may be if you may, i'd appreciate it ....the green inverter fuse i can check but havn't yet ... not sure how to check or even get at the backlight? when i plug it in there is no buzzing or popping or any other sound at all, just the blinking blue power led light.

Comment

do tell what the most common tests may be if you may, i'd appreciate it ....the green inverter fuse i can check but havn't yet ... not sure how to check or even get at the backlight? when i plug it in there is no buzzing or popping or any other sound at all, just the blinking blue power led light.
                  You've already touched on one of the tests: Power supply output. Several LCD monitors give the flashing power light if the power supply is overloaded. I've seen it on Sceptre, Viewsonic, and Dell when driver transistors in the inverter short.

Since you seem to have a different board, attach pictures of the front and back side of the board if the green fuse is OK, and the meter reads 12 Volts from either end of the fuse to ground.

PlainBill

Comment

Ha took me longer to figure out how to resize the pictures then it took to take the monitor apart.. hope this helps
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ha took me longer to figure out how to resize the pictures then it took to take the monitor apart.. hope this helps
                      Scheesch!!! The five caps with the black mark on top are obviously bad; replace all of them. Also replace C107 (electrolytic near the lower heat sink); if that one fails it can cause problems.

PlainBill

Comment

Scheesch!!! The five caps with the black mark on top are obviously bad; replace all of them. Also replace C107 (electrolytic near the lower heat sink); if that one fails it can cause problems.

PlainBill
                        OK... i quess i dont know what to look for when it comes to a bad cap... the bulging right? the bigger ones should look like the c107 ? Thanks a bunch i'll order all six and replace.

Comment

OK... i quess i dont know what to look for when it comes to a bad cap... the bulging right? the bigger ones should look like the c107 ? Thanks a bunch i'll order all six and replace.
                          You got it. It's easy to spot from the side. In a picture from the top it's only slightly more difficult. A non-bulging cap will have a continuous reflection across the top. If it splits into four (or more) different reflections the cap is bulging.

PlainBill

Comment

watch out!
                            the facehuggers may still be nearby.

Comment

I want to start off by thanking everyone here for supplying me with this resource bank

We've had a T225BW for about three years, and for the past year, it had a flickering problem. On start-up it would flicker for a good minute or two before it would "normalize". Eventually, as time went on by, the problem slowly got worse until about two weeks ago when it wouldn't even startup. Luckily, before it died, I found this forum thread, and as soon as the monitor met its end, I opened it up and sure enough- all 5 notorious capacitors were bulging/leaking. I went and ordered those caps, did a piss-poor soldering job, and voila! the monitor lives once again!

I'm glad I was able to save 130 dollars and learn how to solder caps rather than throw the monitor away. I can only imagine how many T225BWs have been tossed this past year... all because of 5 naughty caps :p

Comment

Originally posted by magistertc
                                I just spent a wonderful afternoon with a Samsung 920BW. Caps ok, power ok, backlight comes on for a second or two and then off - video ok.

On the back of the power/backlight circuit board, I finally was able to read the TINY, TINY p/n on the inverter controller chip. OZ9938. Got a datasheet, comes with reference application circuit. Pin 7 is overvoltage protection, in case a CCFL is dead or not working right. A reference voltage is set there, and when Vsens signal on pin 6 rises above that, the controller shuts off (after about a second). The smd resistors between Vdd and Vss are large value, and the one to Vdd had drifted even higher, so Vref at pin 7 was close to ground, and Vsens was above that in normal operation.

I piggybacked a 1/8w 1meg resistor from Vdd to pin 7, Vref went to 2.5v, monitor now works normally.

Controller IC is made by O2Micro, and they have a series of them for various applications, but I would suspect the pinouts are very similar (it was tough to find that 9938 datasheet!). Worth a look if you have this symptom and cannot find anything else wrong.
                                Got a datasheet for that part and one on the 225bw powerboard. However it wont let me upload either of the datasheets, forum has to low a file size cap for pdf's.

oz964.pdf:
                                File Too Large. Limit for this filetype is 195.3 KB. Your file is 324.2 KB.
                                oz9938.pdf:
                                File Too Large. Limit for this filetype is 195.3 KB. Your file is 349.5 KB.

Tried raring, but max compression only takes it down to 264k from 324.

I have a 225bw that exhibits the flicker on ccfl protection circuit kick in after about 1 second, but the 225 has a diff chip for handling ccfl, the oz964gn.

Comment

Datasheets for those controllers, ended up multipart raring them.

oz964.pdf and oz9938.pdf can be found in these rars.

(It's a new post because it wont let me edit the previous post I made.)
                                  Attached Files

Comment

I would like to thank PlainBill and the other experts who take their time to help everyone with there monitor problems. I really appreciate the help!
                                    I found out that I can probably send in my monitor for warranty. I was going to replace the old CapXon capacitors and send it in, but one of the capacitors was damaged during removal.

Does anyone have an old CapXon 820 uf cap that they can mail me to replace the damaged one. I would appreciate it.

Comment

Hi guys!
                                      I have a Samsung 225BW that also the screen is Black and when u turn on the Monitor the screen shows up for a sec anf comes to black again.
                                      At the begining use to take like 1 Min then 5min and now like 30 Min to "Warm up" and turn it again to make it work.
                                      Once it turns on stay perfect all day.

I was trying to open the Back to take a pic of the bad caps or to see them and order them.

but seems a bit Ricky to open the back.

Any tips?
                                      and at the end:
                                      which Caps have to be replaced, which models and from where I can buy them?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by AMIEL
                                        Hi guys!
                                        I have a Samsung 225BW that also the screen is Black and when u turn on the Monitor the screen shows up for a sec anf comes to black again.
                                        At the begining use to take like 1 Min then 5min and now like 30 Min to "Warm up" and turn it again to make it work.
                                        Once it turns on stay perfect all day.

I was trying to open the Back to take a pic of the bad caps or to see them and order them.

but seems a bit Ricky to open the back.

Any tips?
                                        and at the end:
                                        which Caps have to be replaced, which models and from where I can buy them?

Thanks!
                                        Almost all the caps on the powerboard usually need to be replaced, I use a medium and large guitar pick to help pry the bezel apart. It's good that it at least comes on after awhile, means the there aren't any dead ccfl's, if one goes out the protection circuit kicks in and wont let the backlight come on for more than a second.

Comment

Opening the Back of Samsung Syncmaster 225BW ??

Really what is the Trick to Open the back of the Samsung 225BW?
                                          I took the 3 screws in the back , but is not possible.

Please any advice?

Comment

Working...
                                          X