Some routers can be picky with USB storage devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some routers can be picky with USB storage devices

On a Technicolor TG799vac (Telstra - software version 15.3, firmware version 15.53.6467-510-RA, hardware version VANT-F), I had problems recognizing a specific model of USB flash drive (FAT32 filesystem) I was trying to use as network storage, but this function worked OK with two other USB flash drive (FAT32 filesystem) models I tried.

The questionable flash drive (Dyna Store PA5168A-2MAB) was checked for errors (none were found) and it did previously work on a Netgear WNDR3700v2, and the significant technical details of the flash drive are:

Device Name: Mass Storage
    Device Type: Mass Storage
    Description: Generic Flash Disk USB Device
    USB Hub: No
    Vendor ID: 058F
    Product ID: 6387
    USB Class: 08
    USB Subclass: 06
    USB Protocol: 50
    Power: 200 mA
    Capabilities: Removable, Unique ID, Surprise Removal OK

The two other flash drives which worked OK with the router had a different Device Name, Description, Vendor ID, and Product ID.

So therefore, it appears that some routers can be a bit picky with USB storage devices, even though they do not have security functions and/or require specific drivers.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Some routers can be picky with USB storage devices

Ill bet its VxWorks based..
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

format the stick with something else.
      this issue has been seen before when formatting memory cards on windows for use in the Nintendo WII

Comment

Keep trying different things. I am told that SSDs have not been tested (in a USB drive enclosure) with my Linksys WRT-AC1200. But the one I am using now works just fine.

Good luck, and have a happy new year!

Comment

Good to know, thanks for sharing!

Comment

UPDATE: Under a Linux serial console when this problematic model of flash drive was plugged in, there was an indication that there was no DPO or FUA support for this model.
            My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
            X