Bad caps on an M-audio DSM2 power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad caps on an M-audio DSM2 power supply

Attached is a picture of my board from my speaker. Does it looks like a capacitor blew? It also looks like it damaged some of the transistors.

Oddly, it still works, but is standby mode for about five minutes then begins to work. It used to come on instantly.

BTW, this board helped me with an LG plasma about five years ago and it is still working!
    Attached Files

Re: Bad caps on an M-audio DSM2 power supply

The stuff atop C31 looks like glue, possibly to stabilize the resistor that looks like it was added in parallel with another resistor. That glue apparently tends to get conductive as it ages and is browned by heat. Q4 looks like it has some glue on top of it, too. However, there is what looks like a liquid the leaked and flowed onto the PCB.

If you're really concerned about what can be seen in the picture, I'd clean off the glue and then figure out what that brownish substance is on the PCB.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Between the marks RB20 and RB14 on the PCB there is a resistor with a hole in it: might be worth investigating further
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Thanks, PeteS, that helps. They have the powerboard glued to the base of the cabinet, so I gave up this morning trying to get it out.

What's really odd is that I run these speakers upside down so the tweeter is closer to my ear—which also puts the circuitboard above the caps. Can't figure out how anything would have seeped out upwards against gravity.

I'll work on it. I appreciate your reply.

Comment

Yep, Per Hannson, I saw that. I may have to work that board out and take it an electronics repair shop. I'm looking for a replacement before I do that since the speakers are still working.

Thanks.

Comment

Thought I'd update. It was actually the capacitor at C27 on the right hand of the board. It looked perfectly fine to the eye, but others who had this problem said that was the one to replace. So I swapped it out and the speaker is working fine again.

Thanks for all of your help here.

Comment

If it were me and I was repairing this I would recommend doing a full capacitor replacement because if are not good quality capacitors you might be repairing this again
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
              10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
              6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
              1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
              25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
              6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply
              1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
              2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
              All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I'll keep that in mind, sam_sam_sam. Now that I was able to remove it from the case (had to dremel it out) pulling it out next time will be a cinch.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X