Roku 2 dead after storm, burned resistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roku 2 dead after storm, burned resistor

I have two roku 2 players, one was used, another one was not plugged in at all. This night I heard lighting hit really close to house and in the morning Internet modem and roku player was dead. Roku was connected via Ethernet cord, both devices was plugged in surge protected outlet. I opened bad Roku and found what looks like burned resistor, its next to Ethernet port marked R99. I checked that resistor on good player - it shows 0.1 omh. Attached pics are of both good and bad boards.
    I need ID of what it might be to replace it, also what are chances something else was burned and what I should test, I could use good one for reference.
    Attached Files

Re: Roku 2 dead after storm, burned resistor

you have to find the schematic

Comment

I doubt I can find one, so there no way to test this component on good player to find out what it is?

Comment

R99 connect RJ45 metal case to GND
        Can work fine without too.
        So problem is elsewhere.

Comment

Apparently it were surge was located, probably got trough Ethernet port, should I test components that are near by?

Comment

First check if all voltage are present.If not identify where is the problem.

But after strike lighting hard to believe will survive.

Comment

I will see what I can test later today, but when I disconnected it this morning, it was off (no status light or video) but unit felt pretty warm to touch - apparently it was getting power.

Comment

probably smoked the SMSC ethernet controller.

Comment

Can it by bypassed to use wifi only? I also wonder how lighting got it, that Roku and modem both are plugged in UPS backup system which have surge protection, unless surge went trough DSL phone cable to Ethernet. But VOIP phone adapter plugged in modem have no problems, PC works fine too.
                  Will it be safer to use WiFi connection for Roku from now on? I always preferred wired, but now I not sure if it is safe to use.
                  I might check inside modem, but its not really important because provider will be replacing it.
                  Last edited by sansonet; 03-20-2018, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sansonet View Post
                    Can it by bypassed to use wifi only? I also wonder how lighting got it, that Roku and modem both are plugged in UPS backup system which have surge protection, unless surge went trough DSL phone cable to Ethernet. But VOIP phone adapter plugged in modem have no problems, PC works fine too.
                    Will it be safer to use WiFi connection for Roku from now on? I always preferred wired, but now I not sure if it is safe to use.
                    I might check inside modem, but its not really important because provider will be replacing it.
                    you are lucky. A direct lightning strike would have burned your house down. That was close induced EMP. High frequency/High voltage strike. That is why I ground everything in my home. Your PC is grounded through the safety ground third wire power cord (hopefully). Most of these modems, routers and streamers are not grounded at all.

Comment

I just looked around, is this where it happened? This is transformer near my house, I still wonder why Back-UPS not protected those devices. How do you ground yours?
                      Also, should I contact power company to check on it? They just installed that new transformer couple month ago.
                      Attached Files

Comment

At this time I use #6 gauge copper wire connecting all my electronic equipment to a 6 foot copper clad grounding rod in the ground and that is bonded to the power utilities ground rod.

Comment

I opened modem just to see what was fried there - couple resistors burned near one of ports. Im not planning repair it, but want figure out from which end surge was. System set up like this - modem and Roku plugged in Back-UPS with surge protection, Ethernet cable from modem plugged in Roku, from Roku AV signal trought RCA cord plugged in RF modulator and from there it sending signal via coaxial cable to several TV's around house. RF modulator not burned too - it lights up, but not sending any signal. I didnt mentioned it earlier because they are cheap enough and I have couple more laying around anyway. The same coaxial cable runs to barn outside to TV in there as well, buried in ground. Can surge come from that end? And can it possibly travel from modulator AV cable to Roku and then via Ethernet cable to modem? It still not explains why power line transformer looks burned too, unless there was two strikes my yard. I heard two of them pretty much loud, one was stronger than other, couple min apart. Just want make sure I can prevent something like this future. BTW, TV's that connected to that coaxial working fine.
                          This is pic of modem board
                          Attached Files

Comment

I opened modem just to see what was fried there - couple resistors burned near one of ports. Im not planning repair it, but want figure out from which end surge was. System set up like this - modem and Roku plugged in Back-UPS with surge protection, Ethernet cable from modem plugged in Roku, from Roku AV signal trought RCA cord plugged in RF modulator and from there it sending signal via coaxial cable to several TV's around house. RF modulator not burned too - it lights up, but not sending any signal. I didnt mentioned it earlier because they are cheap enough and I have couple more laying around anyway. The same coaxial cable runs to barn outside to TV in there as well, buried in ground. Can surge come from that end? And can it possibly travel from modulator AV cable to Roku and then via Ethernet cable to modem? It still not explains why power line transformer looks burned too, unless there was two strikes my yard. I heard two of them pretty much loud, one was stronger than other, couple min apart. Just want make sure I can prevent something like this future. BTW, TV's that connected to that coaxial working fine.
                            There should be a direct ground wire connection from the shield of the coax cable to earth ground on the outdoor service entrance and this ground wire should connect to the power companies grounding system via ground rod.

Remember lightning wants to find a good ground. It will travel THROUGH ALL the wiring to find a ground and this is what does the most damage. DO NOT make your ground connections from equipment in a Point-to-Point fashion, (like a big chain). Make ONE ground point with ground wires terminating at each device. The shorter the better.

Comment

Yeah possible... Does that barn have it's own grounding system, or is it's grounding system connected to the grounding system to house?

Comment

Working...
                              X