LED lamp: RFI bonanza...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED lamp: RFI bonanza...

I have a recessed lamp fixture that I got a "reflector" flood LED lamp for. It works perfectly and even is rated for "recessed, totally enclosed fixtures" so it should have a long life.

Alas whenever I turn it on, I get one heck of a lot of RFI on my CB and even some AM radios...

This is worse than most of the CFLs I've been using... Any fixes people have come up with? This is sort of unfortunate as this lamp is used quite frequently and would heavily benefit from being an LED (CFLs are annoyingly slow to warm up for this application; I'd use more than one here if it were possible, alas it's only one lamp/fixture.)

Re: LED lamp: RFI bonanza...

this is one of those funny situations.

you have very limited space for the circuit.
    the answer is a capacitive dropper, but you get people bitching about the power-factor and lack of isolation.
    so more and more chinese company's are now using tiny switching psu's and you get good power-factor and a fuckload of RF.

there is no answer until we see more fittings designed with leds and stop using led's pretending to be incan bulbs.
    that or we see leds in incan housings with a seperate psu you wire in series with the fittting - like some flourescent tube conversions.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      you have very limited space for the circuit.
      And, the space you have is surrounded by GLASS!

Comment

How very true. I suppose this is an older model switching PSU lamp, or perhaps it's a dimmable.

Perhaps I should see if I could fit in a series inductor into the socket of that fixture. Alas yeah capacitive dropper (or series dissipative regulated!!!) would be great for this situation, unfortunately these stupid "reflector" LED bulbs are expensive compared to the more common A19 40/60W- bulbs and impossible to tell what type without trying...

Comment

really? they have those in £land here!

Comment

Not flood/reflectors here, they are $ARM$LEG - usually at least $8 or so. The only cheap ones one they have for $1/bulb are 40/60W equivalent A19's... If you want the 75W or 100W equivalent, expect to pay $ARM$LEG.

Comment

LED brightness is related to current rather than voltage. So the current rather that the voltage is being regulated, and a switching P/S is the efficient way to do it. the problem isn't the regulator technology per se but the lack of filtering. Remove all the line filter components from a computer PSU and AM radios won't be happy operating in the same room.
              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I just wonder is it worth it to try adding an X cap and a double parallel inductor in series with the socket perhaps; in this case, in the ceiling before it hits the socket...?

Comment

what base, E27, or something smaller?

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                    I just wonder is it worth it to try adding an X cap and a double parallel inductor in series with the socket perhaps; in this case, in the ceiling before it hits the socket...?
                    worth a try, but it probably wont help because if it's too far from the source then the wire in between radiates.

Comment

Yes, E26 base. I would hope to keep this just above the lamp and keep the wire as short as possible, though not sure if anyone had tried this (and succeeded).

Comment

usefull vid:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Jh_mfVM5Q

Comment

Okay, I found a generalization.

My CFLs tend to be okay, at least the non dimmable ones. I do have one dimmable one and this one generates noise on my 11m (CB) radio.

And actually a large portion of my LEDs are okay too, except for this one I described on the OP. And it too is a dimmable.

I need to see if I have any others that I can compare and contrast to, but it seems I need to avoid dimmables especially because the circuit I have this bulb on doesn't even have a dimmer - I just have it full on or full off.

And ... argh! It says on the box to not use the LED near 0.4MHz to 30MHz radios (which nicely covers 27MHz CB), despite it certified for part 15 FCC rules. Oh well, I got the lamp before the radio so I can't complain too much...
                          Last edited by eccerr0r; 03-20-2018, 07:49 PM.

Comment

watch the video and take a $2 gamble

Comment

... If it was actually the same shape as my fixture... that bulb is the equivalent of just running an A19 in my fixture.

Comment

Working...
                              X