Samsung S2230N not waking up from standby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung S2230N not waking up from standby

Hello guys, I have this Samsung S2230N LCD monitor which is not waking up from standby, I've checked a lot of things, but came up short.

So, when you plug the monitor in AC outlet, it starts up and then immediately goes to standby, as if computer is connected, but it is switched off (the computer, that is). Of course, VGA cable is not connected, and there should be Check cable, No signal, or something similar on the screen, but there isn't. When you press MENU button, the panel does turn on, it shows Test Good, in the upper left of the sceen, and then goes off. As I understood, this Test Good thing is normal on Samsung monitors of that vintage.

What I've checked:
    -PSU (+5 and +3.3V rails are good, caps are good, voltages are stable)
    -Scaler board (no visible damage, all the rails are present, including the 1.8V generated on the scaler board itself)

Monitor is detected when you connect it to the computer, but it shows up as 1024x768 resolution monitor. I was thinking along the lines that there is corrupted flash/eeprom on the board, and that's the reason why it's showing up as wrong resolution, but if that's the case, it should at least show No signal with VGA cable disconnected, right?

Maybe the monitor is detecting that the cable is connected, and that's why it's going to standby, but I couldn't find the schematic, and the only service manual I've managed to obtain contains only partial schematic, for the same monitor model as I have, but the main board covered in SM is completely different, including the scaler chip.

Does anybody have any other idea what should I check?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bobale; 12-25-2020, 10:47 AM.

Re: Samsung S2230N not waking up from standby

I've made a mistake while typing, the monitor is B2230N actually.

Comment

Any help is appreciated, guys

Comment

Try reflashing the spi flash.
        Attached Files

Comment

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks.

Comment

Re: Samsung B2230N not waking up from standby

I've managed to find a problem. A few of the input protection zener/TSV diodes were very low resistance, and some were completely shorted. Somehow I've missed that when I was going over the board for the first time.

Anyway, monitor is now working, but it is not sending EDID/DDC data, so it's not registering as FHD monitor, but I can manually select proper resolution, and it works fine.

Attached below is the snippet from the service manual for the B2230N, but for the different main board, not the one I've got (from the first post). ZD201 was partially shorted, I've removed it, and there was one other same package component, which was also partially shorted, and I had to remove it as well to get the monitor working.

SMD markings are C96RJ and C16YJ, but I'm out of luck finding what those component actually are, whether they are zener, TSV od some other form of ESD protection. Removing those diodes shouldn't prevent monitor from identiyfing correctly, right? Unfortunately, I couldn't find complete schematic, so it's beyond me why it isn't identifying properly.
            Attached Files

Comment

C96xx - TVL ST23 04 AD0
              C16xx - AZC199-04S
              Attached Files

Comment

Due to the firmware rally in the eeprom U2, EDID / DDC may not be detected.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thank you so much for the info I will try flashing the eeprom tomorrow, but we can say the the monitor is fixed for now, it is working.

Comment

Working...
                  X