ASRock X99 Extreme 6 vs Asus Rampage V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASRock X99 Extreme 6 vs Asus Rampage V

Good day folks. I don't normally ask for upgrade questions, since the internet often offers enough info for me to make a decision when it comes to this stuff, not to mention I very rarely have to make such a decision for myself - I mostly do it for my clients, therefore being rather superficial in my approach and basically just laying down the facts and letting THEM choose (it's their money), but now it's time for the hunter to become hunted - the support guy needs support himself Here goes:

Some of you may know a few days ago I managed to partially damage my Asus P5Q Motherboard, in that the 12v and the 3.3v wire of the ATX connector touched each other and now it no longer detects the graphics card in the 2.0 PCIe slots (there's 4 slots total, 2 of which work, 2 of which are dead)...sure, it was way past its heyday and an upgrade was in order long ago, but the lack of money gave me no choice but to push on with what I considered to be a DECENT system for my purposes nonetheless. Now, against my will, I have no choice but to upgrade, so I set a medium-high price point for my rig (YOLO) which I plan to buy second-hand....can't afford it otherwise so I'm willing to take the gamble...whatcha gonna do ? I figured I might as well do this once and do it right so I can hopefully be happy using this setup until the day I will be no more myself...

It now boils down to one (simple ? NOT!) choice: the motherboard: I found two offers: both have a 5960X processor on them, one is an Asus Rampage V and the other is an Asrock X99 Extreme 6...VERY tough choice for me here TBH and it boils down to a single major difference: the Asrock can manage 128GB of RAM, the Asus - only 64 ! True, I will not buy that amount of RAM right away, but I always think very big and in the very far future. I did a side by side comparison here and just about everything else is a matter of small details, including the size of the board itself, which is going to be a problem and also leans in favour of the Asrock once again, because it's narrower and fits better. The Asus would be a very tight (if not impossible) squeeze because of the SATA connectors...I HATE boards that have their connectors on the side like that !

A lot of very small insignificant differences in that comparison table there...just numerical stuff down to the decimal point (like volts), which I doubt would make any difference you could actually feel between the two in real-world applications, even for OCing, which I WILL attempt sooner or later like I did with my P5Q.

The Asrock has 3 PCIe slots whereas the Asus has 5...while it's HIGHLY unlikely I'll ever run that many GPUs at once, like I said, I think big and in the future, so it's something in favour of the Asus. Another one is the brand name itself....Asus just sounds better for some reason...could be a fanboy thing, I don't mind for getting called that

Anyway, strictly a matter of opinion here. What do you guys think ? No grudges held here - go ahead and "fanboy" all you want I just want to sit back and hear some thoughts. They both cost exactly the same amount, so if you had to make a decision, what would it be ? Cheers and thanks.
    Asrock X99 Extreme 6
    0%
    Asus Rampage V
    0%
    Wattevah...

Re: ASRock X99 Extreme 6 vs Asus Rampage V

RAM support is dictated by the CPU and PCH, not the mainboard.
    That said I have the smaller version, a Asrock X99 Extreme4/3.1 and I'm very happy with it.

One way to decide is how they handle the Spectre BIOS patches, Asrock has a stable BIOS.
    Asus only a beta BIOS, in both cases I don't think it's the latest Microcode though is it?
    In my case I'm not going to install it anyway, as it lowers NVMe drives performance so much.
    But in any case it's a good way to tell who cares to release updates.
    In this case I'd call it a tie, maybe in favor of Asrock since they at least released it as a stable BIOS...
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Surprisingly little feedback here
      Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
      RAM support is dictated by the CPU and PCH, not the mainboard.
      How is that ? They both have the X99 chipset and the CPU is the same, yet the specifications for the Asus list a maximum of 64GB...is that an oversight ? I find it strange that the same chipset supports a smaller amount of RAM on a different board...

See ? Someone is always bound to spot some tiny detail they consider important, namely that BIOS deal - I would've NEVER thought to take that into consideration
      Wattevah...

Comment

It just means that they did not have access to that much RAM to test it and make sure it actually works...
        It's a common thing for many mainboards, no matter it's age...

For me the choice would be easy: I hate Asus support, so there's that too
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

TBH I'm a bit of an Asus fanboy, but all things considered, I'll go with the Asrock. There's another decisive factor: it's a local seller whom I can actually get in touch with and see the thing working instead of relying on trust and postage from a different part of the country...
          Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
          X