Thermaltake TR2-420 blown!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermaltake TR2-420 blown!

This psu is identical with this, I already recapped and improved.

I got it from a friend (stefos) that already gave it a try but couldn't fix it.

I removed the caps except some not important small caps that tested good, removed the primary heatsink, then started testing parts.

As you can see in the following photos there is damage both in primary and secondary.

The diode with the red color in BOARD3.jpg is shorted and the transistor near it with orange color is bad, even though not shorted or open circuit.

On primary section (BOARD4.jpg) there are 2 resistors burnt and failed open. Their values were 1 and 10 ohm.

The 2 diodes with orange color have been tested and found ok but I am thinking about replacing them, as they might be leaky (?)

Any opinion / comment welcome
    Attached Files

Re: Thermaltake TR2-420 blown!

The blown parts..

The resistor cut itself in half during desoldering..
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow. Looks like you gave a few bad components there. I assume the switchers are blown too, as the PCB looks discoloured around where they were.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

They were blown and replaced with 2x 13009 TO-220 by stefos. The replacement transistors were tested by me and found good.

Comment

Is it cranking away now, or still dead?
          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

I have to replace the blown parts. I am going to buy them tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Comment

What are you going to use that PSU for? Or are you going to sell it as refurbished?
              Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
              Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                I have to replace the blown parts. I am going to buy them tomorrow. Wish me luck!
                Good luck!

All in all, I think you will be able to fix it, though. It's a simple half-bridge design. Made by Channell Well Technology (CWT), for those curious.
                Here are two more similar units (though much crappier):
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ight=turbolink
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ight=turbolink

The 2-transistor 5VSB circuit in this PSU has been known to become a motherboard killer as well. With that said, make sure both the 5VSB output caps and 5VSB critical cap are good.
                Last edited by momaka; 05-25-2015, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Didn't work

5vsb is there but when I short green with ground it just makes a clicking sound. All the output voltages move a bit, but the fan remains still.

Comment

Check the filter caps. That may be it.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Give us a photo of the bottom side of the board. It looks like C30 is missing.

Comment

Didn't work

5vsb is there but when I short green with ground it just makes a clicking sound. All the output voltages move a bit, but the fan remains still.
                        Well, you have 5VSB, so that's still something.

Does the 5VSB whine, whisle, or make "gushing water" sounds? Either way, measure the secondary side auxiliary rail voltage (it is derived from 5VSB traffo, output at D24 I think, right next to electrolytic capacitor C9). Should be around 10-15V. Also check the BJT driver transistors on the secondary side. Typically that would be two small TO-92 case transistors (c945) and their associated diodes. From the pictures you posted, those transistors are likely Q3 and Q4 (right next to where you found that bad diode, D10), and two of the associated diodes are D10 and D11. I think you might also want to replace D11, just in case it is leaky.

Also, why are there resistors in places of diode D38 and D37(?) (or is it D39?). On my TurboLink (see links above, those are diodes). Speaking of my TurboLink, the board is also a REV-G01, so if you need any part references or measurements, let me know .

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
                        Give us a photo of the bottom side of the board. It looks like C30 is missing.
                        See this picture from my TurboLink:
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1407035562
                        Last edited by momaka; 06-03-2015, 04:25 PM.

Comment

5vsb is perfectly stable and silent. 5.05V

I already replaced D10, D11 and D7, D8 with new.

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
                          Give us a photo of the bottom side of the board.
                          Here:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1433376228

But wait, look closer:

Can you see it??

Oh, no! How could I have missed this? Was it like this in the first place or did it just blow while I was testing it?

Should I just jumper it and re-test?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by goodpsusearch; 06-03-2015, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Oh, no! How could I have missed this? Was it like this in the first place or did it just blow while I was testing it?

Should I just jumper it and re-test?
                            Probably like that. Otherwise the transistors would have likely blown again.

Jumper and re-test. But do it with a series incandescent light bulb. 40-60W should be enough for that.

Comment

It works!!!!!!!

Comment

I would put a resistor in place of the jumper(IDK which value) and test it in a computer.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

^ Can't put a resistor of any significant value on that trace, because it is the grounding trace for primary aux. winding on driver transformer (used for driving the BJTs).

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
                                  It works!!!!!!!

Comment

It's up and running.

Fan mod
                                    3.23kohm resistor in parallel with the thermistor

Minimum load resistors

Original --> New

5vsb: 50ohm --> 180ohm

3.3V: 15ohm (!!) --> 50ohm taken from 5vsb

5V: 50ohm --> 150 ohm

12V: 240ohm --> 1000ohm

-12V: 470ohm --> no change

Capacitors

5vsb: 2x1000uF 6.3V Rubycon YXG

3.3V: 2x2200uF 6.3V Ltec LTG

5V: 2x2200uF 6.3V Ltec LTG

The Ltec LTG caps were taken from Delta GPS 350W psu I repaired and recapped. Usually they are fine in Delta psus for a couple of years. It would be interesting to find out how long they last in a non Delta power supply.

12V: 1x1000uF 16V Rubycon YXF & 1x3300uF 16V Panasonic FR

-12V: 1x120uF 16V Panasonic FC & 1x120uF 35V Nichicon PM

Fan Capacitor: 1x220uF 16V Τaicon VZ (correct me if I am wrong but this cap is identical to Nichicon VZ)

Primary caps: 1x800uF 200V Panasonic EE 105C (real C:767uF) & 1x820uF 200V Teapo LXK 85C (real C: 810uF)

When I received this psu it had its main switching transistors blown. I replaced them with 2x13009 from Fairchild Semiconductor TO-3P package.

I think it is a decent power supply now!
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by goodpsusearch; 06-13-2015, 06:31 PM.

Comment

I think you mean Taicon VZ, not LTEC VZ. Taicon VZ is almost a direct cross to Nichicon VZ but both have a different temperature range (-40C to +105C for Taicon and -55C to +105C for Nichicon except for the 160V ones and higher which are rated for -40C and the 450V ones which are rated for -25C). Also, Taicon VZ is rated for 2,000 hours @ 105*C and the Nichicon VZs of the -55C to +105C range 1,000 hours @ 105*C. And since Nichicon only owns about 1/3rd of Taicon, I doubt that they source all their materials from them. I don't know how long those LTEC capacitors will last in that unit. We all know they don't deal well with heat. I don't consider Taicon capacitors so bad because I've only seen two series from them fail with disconcerting frequency (HD and HI, equal to HM). Good job on the repair though!
                                      Last edited by Wester547; 06-13-2015, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Yeap. I meant Taicon VZ! I messed it up

I know Delta knows how to keep those Ltec alive. On the other hand CWT has a bad history with thermal management! That's the reason I changed the minimum load resistors. Let's see how well they will do
                                        Last edited by goodpsusearch; 06-13-2015, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X