This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

I know I already posted it, but I think it's bad enough to warrant posting again. Power board for a Philips CD-i 910.

Comment

That's nasty. The only time I've seen anything that even comes close to that was the PSU from a computer that lived near the coast. One day it went BANG. I opened it and noticed that the PCB was wet (salt water?). Unfortunatly, when this PSU died it took the motherboard out. It was a shame as it was a good PSU (FSP).
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

The machine it came out of seems to have been around moisture for quite some time, an almost cough-syrup like substance, as there's a whole bunch of dust stuck to one part of the unit. I REALLY need to repair it, as these machines are quite rare, and a new one costs upwards for $200 if you want something that won't break (I paid $40).

Comment

Originally posted by cheese007
          To be fair, that one is actually rated for 150w (the label pictured is from another PSU on that site), but still...
          I believe leadman/sunpro/Powsun makes psu's that can run their ratings, and when OEM's look to buy them, they simply ask "what wattage is it", to which they reply "what wattage do you need?"

Comment

This is an old 400W Generic PSU. It would make some strange hissing and zapping noises when plugged in, me and my best friend sprayed lots and lots of WD-40 in it and dropped a match in. Here's the carnaige.

PS. I removed the fan first so I can use it as a case fan.
            Attached Files

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

you should have rescued the cables first - i find lots of short cable very usefull.

Comment

Now you can post an ad on Ebay................one slightly burned computer power supply, $75. As is, no return!
                Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Originally posted by stj
                  you should have rescued the cables first - i find lots of short cable very usefull.
                  I have lots of wires from other faulty PSUs.

Comment

Here's another one, an Excel 450W (I doubt if it would actually be 450W, probably 250W MAX). It wouldn't even turn a computer on. Note the burn marks in the pics. I'll probably do the same thing to this as I did to that other cheap one (set it on fire). I LOVED hearing those caps pop.
                    Attached Files

Comment

why not put a big load like a 100w lamp or 3 on it and power it up outdoors to go boom?

Comment

You need to be more eco friendly :P

Comment

It's already fried. I also like using WD-40 or something flammable like that as it keeps it burning for longer (long enough for all the caps to pop). Also, if I do want it to explode like that, I just put the voltage selector in 110 volts (We have 240V here in Australia). If it doesn't have one, short the two pads fhere it was meant to go on the PCB.
                          Last edited by c_hegge; 01-06-2010, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge
                            Here's another one, an Excel 450W (I doubt if it would actually be 450W, probably 250W MAX). It wouldn't even turn a computer on. Note the burn marks in the pics. I'll probably do the same thing to this as I did to that other cheap one (set it on fire). I LOVED hearing those caps pop.
                            Doesn't look that bad really. Might be useful for powering up something like this:
                            http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...8volts-DC-at-/
                            Just remove the 5vsb circuit on the primary side, then find an adapter anywhere between 7v and 40v to power the PWM controller (since 5vsb is dead) and the PSU should be working again.

Comment

Can't be bothered re-capping it as well as finding a substitute for the dead rail. It's full of fuhjyyu (and the 5vsb one is leaking). I don't usually bother repairing PSUs unless they are really good in all other ways (like the Channel-well made Antecs).

Comment

I know what you mean, I wouldn't put money in repairing a PSU like that either (let alone putting it in a computer). But if I find the right parts for free, perhaps I would. The good thing about broken stuff like that is that you can try and fix them with whatever you find, and even if it doesn't work or if it blows up, you don't loose much (except for some time). And if you do manage to fix it, you see what works and what doesn't (kind of like one of 370's threads where he swapped transformers from one PSU into another and it worked).

Comment

Took this one home from work today, along with 2 Fuhjyyu'd Antecs. It's a Sun Pro, supposedly 550W, although I doubt it would be anywhere near that. The caps are either branded "CS", "GL", or "JEE". Two caps are bloated (although it may not be obvious in the pics) one is a 2200uF 10v JEE and the other is a 1000uF 10v CS. Note the discolouration around the middle of the PCB.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

"jee"!

4 diodes! so you are right, i'd say 200-250w max

look at the heat damage.

edit- OMG! look at that fake y cap on the secondary board attached to the ac plug! one of the leads is shorting the AC!

gut it!
                                    Last edited by ratdude747; 01-19-2010, 09:44 PM.
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Actually, it probably can really manage 550 Watts.....For half a second!

Comment

Also note the second primary switcher that is split in half

Comment

That size of recifier bridge diodes on input side. That won't let PSU go all the way. These is rated 1A max.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Working...
                                          X