Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lg 60pz550

Hello all ~

I picked up this 60" LG the other day and it has the following signs / issues:

1) Displaying a primarily pink and green screen that alters its look on occasion and particularly can change if the set is turned on and off (see picture set below).

NOTE: All of the pictures uploaded upside down, and I could not correct it. So, please view them as such. You can see the base stand at the top of the photos.

Pic #1 ~ How it looked when I first picked it up.
    Pic #2 ~ The first time it changed shape, of its own accord, after about 3 or 4 on/off cycles I performed as I was trying various things. Suddenly, it just altered itself.
    Pic #3 ~ The 3rd time it shape-shifted, again after an "off and back on" I purposefully performed.

Then, about 20 minutes into all of these attempts, it unexpectedly went back to the original look (see Picture #1 again), and this time of its own accord once again.

So, as you can see, the generalized pink/purple/green look of it stays constant but the particular pattern can and does alter.

2) There is NO sound. The previous owner claimed that the audio existed for him, but I tried dozens and dozens of "blind cycles" with the remote control and the touch-sensitive buttons on the set itself to find one of the several audio sources I had hooked up to both the HDMI ports and the Component port and was never able to "hit" upon any audio. So, I think it is being denied by the current scenario, although I may be wrong about that.

Note: Tried the MUTE button in these various combinations as well, and made sure the VOLUME was up high. The remote control was definitely working, however, as the red LED indicator on the front of the set flashed just as one would expect it to do each and every time any button on the remote was depressed.

3) The set takes an unusually long time to move from a black screen to whatever pink/purple/green screen it chooses to display after I hit the power button. I counted between 10 and 12 seconds each and every time. It simply stays on that black screen for that 10 to 12 second duration, giving the initial impression each time I power it on that nothing at all is going to happen and then it will consistently move to one of the pink/purple/green screens. Odd for any tv, and in particular these LG plasmas in this case, to behave that way so it might be an important clue. To be clear, it is definitely powering on and the plasma is being "fused" each time as I do see a slight flash on the screen immediately as I hit the power on button .... it's just remaining as a black screen with no visible display until the 10 - 12 seconds have elapsed and then we get the colorations as seen in the photos I have provided.

4) The lines on the pink/purple/green screens are exceptionally still and stationary. I have seen other sets with vertical line issues similar to this where the pixels tend to shimmer or to flash on and off ..... or appear and then disappear only to (perhaps) reappear again. None of that is going on with this particular LG set and this scenario. It is as if it is a still photo, no matter which iteration of the pink/purple/green screen it takes on. See Picture #4 below ~ a close-up of what I am describing .... knowing that this photo was turned 90 degrees upon uploading to the Badcaps site. So, the lines displayed are really VERTICAL lines. You can match it up with the Green to Purple to Pink pattern you see in Picture #2 as proof of this.

5) I am thinking its either the Control Board, or perhaps the Main Board that is the culprit here. I have not opened it up yet, but will do so soon and will provide more pictures. For now, I am simply hoping that someone out there can add to this thread by virtue of the fact that they easily recognize these types of pink/purple/green screens (as displayed by an LG plasma) and can point me in the right, or at least the probable, direction as to which board or component is likely at fault.

Thanks much. I always appreciate the assistance from this incredibly helpful group of folks.

~ kca
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kca; 07-15-2019, 12:02 PM.

Re: Lg 60pz550

Pull out the zsus board and inspect the solder joints on the 3 copper coils, probably cracked. Put everything back together and try it. If it dont work, unplug the ldvs going to the logic control board, then put a piece of wire in the two holes on the control board marked auto gen and plug tv back in. If the color test patterns show, the mainboard is bad.

Comment

I had a look on shopjimmy and I don't think the auto_gen pins are marked, I do believe they are the ones connected to R51 and R52

Comment

Thanks much, tvtimmy and R_J. I will try those steps in the morning and let you know if any of it works. I am, by a stroke of luck, going to be able to pick up a 60" LG 60PV450 tonight and the Control Board is exactly the same as found in the LG 60PZ550 ..... so I can swap those if need be. Unfortunately, the two Main Boards are not the same (the 450 has 3 total HDMI ports and the 550 has 4), but that's okay.

I will start with the Z-SUS Board in the morning as suggested up above.

~ kca
        Last edited by kca; 07-15-2019, 07:09 PM.

Comment

The pv450 will have the same zsus coil cracking. Check it.

Comment

Okay. Will do. Thanks.

Comment

Took out the Zsus and saw no visual evidence of cracked solder joints, but touched them up anyway along with several other smaller ones. No change when I put the Zsus back in the set, as I kind of expected at that point.

DID get the test patterns to show, however, when I next tried the jump between the auto_gen pins. All patterns look to be in good order and the screen shows no visual signs of fault at this juncture. Test patterns are: Full white screen, full red, full green, full blue, full white again, followed by a short series of black and white horizontal and vertical scroll tests. Then it turns full white once again and the pattern repeats itself over and over from there.

So, it looks like it is definitely the Main Board, then?

I plan on baking it because I have had about 5 or 6 other sets where the Main Board was at issue and the simple baking technique brought them all back to life.

If there is another step I should take before the baking of the Main Board or something to check on this Main Board (or any other board), please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks much.

~ kca

Comment

Its the mainboard. A reflow might bring it hack for a while.

Comment

Okay. Reflowing it now. Will update you soon.

In your experience, tvtimmy or others, how long do these reflows usually last? Any ballpark figure would prove helpful. I used one for about 6 or 7 months one time without issue, but have always been curious if it might really last a couple of years or more. Or, it is just too hit and miss on individual sets to really establish any kind of average(s)?

{Large, LG plasmas (or similar brand), I am referring to in particular.}

~ kca
                  Last edited by kca; 07-16-2019, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I have done 6 of them. The first one was 4 years ago and is still working.

Comment

Reflow worked! All is perfect. Every HDMI port and all other ports are functioning without any issue and picture is crisp and clear.

Thanks to all for helping out. Seems like it's the Main Board on these LG plasmas from the early 2010's about 7 or 8 times out of 10. Baked it at 380 degrees for 10 minutes. That's all there was to it.

Comment

That's great to know, tvtimmy, re the 4 year longevity. That's what I was thinking and hoping for. Somewhere between 2 and 5 more years.

Comment

I've done this to some Vizios and they only lasted for a few months.

Comment

Yes, the LG Main Boards do seem to have more resiliency built in.

Now that the 60PZ550 is fixed, I am going to start on the LG 60PV450 I picked up the other day. I will start a new thread for that one and post the link back here.

Will take a look at the Zsus and perform the same auto_gen test on the Control Board on the PV450 and then post if anything reveals itself. I think it might be a different issue, though, because there appears to be a high-pitched sound coming from the Ysus area and there is no picture (or sound) at all. I'll know more after I open that one up tonight.

Comment

Working...
                            X