• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Great Capacitor Showdown - Rubycon vs Panasonic vs Samxon

what cpu's are you looking for?

Comment

AMD 1GHz~1.2GHz. 1.2GHz is the max the boards support. I need 4 matching, and thats proving to be easier said than done...
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Shroomie
        That a Seasonic-built model? Never seen a CWT that looked like that, or had OSTs (and there's no CWT on the transformer either).

Good stuff!
        The Neo HE is built by Seasonic, but all of the S12/M12s I've seen use a mix of Hitachi, Panasonic, Rubycon, and United Chemicon.

Comment

Originally posted by tazwegion
          Me too... though I think I'm the only member here using a mix of Hitano EXR series & Low ESR SamXon components, to date @ 24/7 100% F@H (3 months) with no signs of instability and/or capacitor bloating/venting

I would be glad, to say the same abouth my K7VZA. Yesterday the system was frozen. I will open the rig in the next days, i hope i will not find some bulged MCZ.

Comment

I have one of each 800 and 1133 mhz if you can find others. 1133 is 133 bus.

Comment

I have a duron 1.2 you can have.
              I searched online and it seems noone even sells socket a with such a low ghz.
              This may be a hard thing to find 4 identical cpus for this project.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
                AMD 1GHz~1.2GHz. 1.2GHz is the max the boards support. I need 4 matching, and thats proving to be easier said than done...
                Check out Pricewatch . They have 100/ 133 FSB 1.0/1.1/1.2 Ghz old style Athlon stuff for about $35 a pop.

Comment

They have some 1GHz CPU's for $28.00ea... I wasn't looking to spend that much, I already have too much in this experiment.... If there's no other way, then I'll grab 'em, I was scouting for used ones first though, which obviously isn't working too well.... lol
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

There's a lot of these CPUs around but noone wants to sell them as they're fast enough for almost anything except games

Comment

Exactly...

(I've got a 1 GHz [7.5x133] Thunderbird here, but I'm using it...Sorry man.)
                      You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
                      Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

All my Thunderbirds are broken by my not that skilled brother ;-) I immagine, that many of those oldies died by HSF replacement from noobs.

Comment

And many boards too.

Comment

Once again one of our members came through contributing parts for this experiment. This time the thanks goes to Mustang. He PM's and asks me where the 4 matching 1GHz CPU's need to be sent........ He wouldn't even let me pay for them!! Thank you Mustang!!

That was the last of the parts needed, I have everything I need now. I'll get the ESR meter out and take some pre-assembly readings on all the caps, and then its time to assemble them and get the testing underway.

I figured the best way to take the readings will be once a month. I'll shut them down the evening before reading them to let them cool to room temp, the next day take the readings. I'll have to remove the motherboards from the cases in order to read from all the caps, so once a month is often enough to monitor degradation over time. Any ideas for monitoring are welcome before the experiment actually begins.
                            Attached Files
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

I LOVE YOU MUSTANG! He has helped me out in the past. If I ever get anything worth a crap, I will send it to him for free!

Comment

Wow! What a great thing to do.

Thanks, Mustang!
                                You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
                                Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Is this still up to date?
                                  Thank you

Sorry if my English is not 100% correct, but I hope you can understand it.

Regards

Comment

cmon get that shit folding
                                    its so uphill from now on
                                    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Hi everybody!
                                      While we wait for the showdown...., I have done some testing here...take a l@@k
                                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2876

Comment

Well, my suggestion was mentioned already (exchange the small caps to new ones using any known reliable brand (Panny's, Rubycons...), remove the fans from cases) so...

Big thanks need to go for Mustang anyway!

Four matching 1Ghz Athlons rule
                                        "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
                                        "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

This is turning out to be a very interesting experiment, and it's not even begun yet. Run all the CPU fans at 5v (Zalman Fan Mate 2, $3 each), so as to warm up the CPUs and VRMs. If Trodas' sister's comp with Samxons is stable, highly OCd, in a fanless case, then you have to make an effort to stress these caps.
                                          The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Working...
                                          X