Cheap Source for Racks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap Source for Racks?

Question: I'm going to be (hopfully) moving into a house sometime in the next handful of months, and I'd like to have a rack for my blade server(s) that will be doing NAS and the like along with a 24 port gig switch (they're like $25-$40 shipped used on ebay right now )

However, the only used ones I've seen are 3 hours away at Purdue Surplus, and they're massive full height ones (for $50-$150 a pop usually), all OEM.

New ones at Fry's and online seem a bit cheaply made for the asking price. $175 for two metal poles and an anchoring plate? No thanks.

I don't need (or want) that big of a rack... 12U would work but 20+ would probably be safer, especially if I ever add anything else. Having a shelf on top would be nice as that would allow me to set my AP and (if I stay with cable) modem on top, not buried inside the rack.

It also would need to be deep (or have an open back); I have a long 2U IBM X3650 server to put in. She's a tad heavy though (40lbs?) so it would also need to be sturdy

I have heard of people using generic shelving for rackmount gear; I'd like to avoid that as I'm afraid of a cable getting snagged and things flying off the shelf.

Suggestions? Or if you're looking to sell a rack and don't live ridiculously far away, I'm interested.
    Last edited by ratdude747; 07-16-2017, 06:07 PM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Cheap Source for Racks?

AP goes in the middle of the house not on top of a big pile of metal.
    Old dinosaur 40lb servers will happily stay where you put them on the floor they don't need a rack.
    But if you want to have more stuff then I'd think about where and how when you have the house.
    And do you really need more stuff to have to move ?

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
      AP goes in the middle of the house not on top of a big pile of metal.
      Old dinosaur 40lb servers will happily stay where you put them on the floor they don't need a rack.
      But if you want to have more stuff then I'd think about where and how when you have the house.
      And do you really need more stuff to have to move ?
      Ah, didn't think about that. I'd have use one of the room connections for the router/AP then... Basically I'd a scaled up version of what I have in my apartment (two switches and the router, router on one end of the apartment, one switch midway (which connects to a 1U server on a rickity shelf in a closet), and one switch in the office which connects the magic Jack (VOIP), Laser all in one, and two workstations to the rest of the network.

The house I'm focusing on (after looking at several with a realtor) has Cat5E run from the garage to 4 locations, hence why I'm doing my planning and research now, so if and when I buy it, I already have an attack plan. Even if I get something else to live in, if it's not another apartment, I'll still want to put the 2U IBM into service and I don't want to breathing dust from the floor.

The servers (1u dell and 2u IBM) were freebies by the way... Father in law had to "dispose" of them. They're long and flat, not suited for floor use (not like the 200lb Netfinity 7000 Topcat gave me). They'd breathe in dirt all day and get stepped on/kicked. They're not that old (2006 hardware IIRC, I don't call Core2-based Xeons "old")

I don't have the 24 port switch yet but I've see unmanaged full-gigabit ones for under $50 (and 10/100 w/ a few ports of gigabit ones for even less). I put a low ball offer on one as the switch itself doesn't take a lot of space.
      sigpic

Comment

cant you get stuff like this?
        https://www.rapidonline.com/sealey-a...-level-89-8657

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          Answer:

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          I have heard of people using generic shelving for rackmount gear; I'd like to avoid that as I'm afraid of a cable getting snagged and things flying off the shelf.
          So yes, but I'd like to obtain a real rack.

Like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studio-Rack-...oAAOSwaEhZD7zr

only not likely to tip backwards due to a heavy >27" long blade server installed.

I saw wall mount cabinets but the cheap ones are only 16" deep.

That said, I may have found a winner:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/41U-2-Post-O...sAAOSwq1JZHuOS

I think that will do it

I'd have to store it someplace temporary... like my parents' house or the like.

Hell, I'm putting in a lowball offer (intent being local pickup, I can do a lot better in my truck than $110).
          sigpic

Comment

Best offered it down to $65. Picking it up tomorrow. My parents are cool with storing it in their basement temporarily.

Also scored a 24 port (unmanaged) full Gigabit Switch for $38. It's a 3com.

No advice needed, unless we want to talk rackmount stuff...
            sigpic

Comment

UPSs at the bottom, then the servers then switches then patch panels. It won't fall over that way.

Comment

UPSs at the bottom, then the servers then switches then patch panels. It won't fall over that way.
                I won't be running UPSs, at first at least (cost). My plan was to mount the servers low (perhaps with the Netfinty 7000 as ballast if nothing else) and the switch above with a rackmount surge protector on top
                sigpic

Comment

Well crap.

I'm going to have to put the server on the bottom (or install a reasonably strong shelf underneath), as apparently IBM GenII rails are built for 4 post racks. What I am buying is a two-post rack. I could try to make it work but I have feeling all that would happen is the rack frame warp from too much weight. The rails will install, but the back mounts won't have a place to mount.

Not a fatal mistake, but a setback. Fixable at least?

edit- another option:

https://www.racksolutions.com/4u-flu...rsion-kit.html

But too pricey. I think a shelf would be the better option.

edit2- upon further inspection the way the rails are built, with a threaded (not cage nutted) rack like this I should be ok if I use the optional reinforcement screw option on the rails. The screwless pins are tapered so they'll lock down on the uprights... as long as I screw it (not just the clamp spring holding tension) I might be OK.

Or I pass up this server, use the 1U Dell (which will fit a 2 post rack) and save up for a supermicro rackmount system as supposedly supermicro makes 2 post solutions. Damn rack mount hardware is ex$pensive.
                  Last edited by ratdude747; 07-17-2017, 06:05 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

i'v never even heard of a 2-post rack.
                    the ones i used to see had 6, 4 corners and 2 extra for the sides.
                    they also had a fan-tray in the base - they where *real* racks.

not like these coatracks you linked!!!

Comment

I've seen very small 2 post cabs but they were for switches and patch panels.

Comment

My understanding is the load limits are the same (for a well build unit) but the intention was more for relays (a so called "relay rack", largely made obsolete by PLCs) and AV equipment. As a result, when relay racks became obsolete, there was a lot of 19" two post racks floating around (such as what I'm buying).

It looks like I can just put a 1U or 2U shelf underneath to support the server and use the front clamps on the rail to make it work.

4 post racks are $175 shipped and up (cheap chinese) with quality racks being even even more $$$. Hence how a company can market a hunk of metal for $200 and get customers. I don't feel like spending $200 so I'll pass on that option.
                        sigpic

Comment

As long as the load in the server is balanced it should be ok. With having four mounts instead of two the weight distribution inside the servers is irrelevant. The load is spread better with four not two mounts.
                          I've seen quality 42U server racks go for next to nothing.

Comment

i used to see these things just dumped - i used to take the fan trays out of them.
                            keep an eye on company computer centers & such - they use them to hold big UPS's

Comment

As long as the load in the server is balanced it should be ok. With having four mounts instead of two the weight distribution inside the servers is irrelevant. The load is spread better with four not two mounts.
                              I've seen quality 42U server racks go for next to nothing.
                              I'll put a long shelf underneath. The center mount adapters cost less and distribute the weight better, but make it so ALL things must use the adapter. Flush adapters (or far cheaper shelves since I don't need all 41/42U for equipment) let me only put shelves/adpaters on things that need them (blade servers, etc.). Switches and the like only mount to the front so 2 post is fine.

It's a start. Shelves are cheap enough ($15-$30 a pop, depending on size).

Thoughts?
                              sigpic

Comment

Brought it home tonight.

It's missing some screws and is a bit wobbly as a result... easily fixed at least.

The Dell R200 1U fits like a glove:

...but will need a shelf underneath for support:

Still, not bad?

The IBM will require drilling out a location, as the rail's pins are at the right pitch but too big for the threaded holes. Or I trade/sell/ditch the IBM all together and go for a Supermicro blade (which reportedly are 2-post compatible, besides, Supermicro kicks ass!)

Also I was refunded on the Gig Switch... apparently it was found to be damaged and the seller wasn't going to sell me that. I asked what whas damaged as if it's cosmetic damage, I really don't care and if they still wanted to make a buck on it, I'd be willing to buy. 3Com isn't exactly throwaway garbage...
                                Attached Files
                                sigpic

Comment

^ took another look, I'd need to cut 1/4" out of the back side flange of the uprights for the IBM rails to pass. Nothing an angle grinder and 20 minutes can't fix, but it is annoying. Basically I'd have to make an IBM specific slot in the rack.

That said, I did score a 100LB rated 4U shelf for $30 (and offered on a 2U 55LB shelf for the Dell R200) so there is hope here.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Gig switch is a confimed bust. Off-topic rant:

This is what the seller replied with on what was wrong with the gig switch they refunded my on:

We are what's called an E-Steward certified company, and as a part of our audit we can not send out any items that are not in perfect working condition.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
                                    What???

Yeah, either they have another account that isn't or they're seriously going to shitcan the thing. Thank you ebay scammers for forcing legit (or "legit") seller down the road of tossing anything not perfect

Back to the drawing board. The house this rack was intended for probably won't be mine (some **** beat me to the punch, VIP members will see why in my other thread), so this is train wrecking fast. It will still get used eventually... hopefully?
                                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                      Gig switch is a confimed bust. Off-topic rant:

This is what the seller replied with on what was wrong with the gig switch they refunded my on:

What???

Yeah, either they have another account that isn't or they're seriously going to shitcan the thing. Thank you ebay scammers for forcing legit (or "legit") seller down the road of tossing anything not perfect

Back to the drawing board. The house this rack was intended for probably won't be mine (some **** beat me to the punch, VIP members will see why in my other thread), so this is train wrecking fast. It will still get used eventually... hopefully?
                                      Never mind, I ended up nabbing an identical (black instead of white) for $30 (less than the $38 the other one was listed at):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Com-Baselin...QAAOSwfRdZG1z3

If you need a gig switch, there be a score. I'd nab more of them but I only need one (trying to save money here).
                                      sigpic

Comment

Looking at power strips/distribution, I'm set on the Middle Atlantic PD-915R. It's what the rack at church (for AV) uses and it kicks ass. 8 in the back, one in the front (good for servicing things, I'm thinking my tiny 15" LCD for servicing the blade servers offline)

Turns out I found one 20 minutes from me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=222025805885

If they're cool with local pickup, I can head that way and grab dinner with my dad (who works in the same town). If not, they can be had for $30 shipped elsewhere.

Yeah, it's a power strip, but life is too short for shitty power strips.
                                        Last edited by ratdude747; 07-18-2017, 09:03 PM.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X