Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 REV.5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 REV.5.0

Hello there, I recently discovered a missing cap on a motherboard of mine while removing the GPU to replace the TIM, whether I knocked it off removing the GPU or if it was already missing I do not know. To avoid the question, there was clearly a cap there before as the leads are still poking out of the board. I have identified the missing cap as an APAQ 560uF 6.3v 6mmx9mm solid cap, identified as EC40 on the PCB. I am trying to figure out what this cap is actually for. My two options to fix this bored are to RMA (if they will take it, still trying to get them on the phone) or to replace the cap myself both of which will take about a month as there is nowhere local for me to get caps. I have included a picture of the board with the missing cap marked in red. A schematic for the board would be excellent. If I can run this board without issue until the caps get here I won't even bother trying to RMA. Any help determining the related functions of this capacitor would be most appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 REV.5.0

that cap appears to be near a mosfet and near the usb headers so it could be a regulator for the usb 5v rail. it could also be a regulator for the 5vsb rail due to its proximity to the cmos battery. because of the above, do NOT run the board without the cap. the mosfet near the cap may blow due to the excess energy being unable to go anywhere due to the missing cap. it may also fry the usb ports, southbridge or bios chip.

if there are only a few months left of the warranty, i suggest u replace the cap yourself. the rma process will take awhile by which time when u get the rma replacement back, the warranty would have already lapsed.

Comment

Working...
    X