e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Well even tho no one is responding ill post that my repair was a success. Worked exactly as detailed in this forum. Send me an email (my user name @ gmail) if you need a transistor Ive got 9 more.

Comment

Hey guys! Thanks for all this information!

I ordered a new tcon for a Vizio e701-a3. I disconnected the left side and got half of a white screen. So then I disconnected the right side and got the other side as a white screen.

Both times, half of the V logo would show up. One side showed more of an orange V (the left side, when the right side was white)

And the other time, the right side of the TV showed more of a silver V with the right side all white.

Now the tcon board is blown and I'm not sure which side is the culprit. Both sides show no sign of a blown driver.

HELP!

Comment

Originally posted by jjhollen View Post
        Hey guys! Thanks for all this information!

I ordered a new tcon for a Vizio e701-a3. I disconnected the left side and got half of a white screen. So then I disconnected the right side and got the other side as a white screen.

Both times, half of the V logo would show up. One side showed more of an orange V (the left side, when the right side was white)

And the other time, the right side of the TV showed more of a silver V with the right side all white.

Now the tcon board is blown and I'm not sure which side is the culprit. Both sides show no sign of a blown driver.

HELP!
        Hello,
        the left side with orange tone is not normal. The right side is okay with the silver logo on half screen. If you can solder smd components, there is a guide along the posts how to change the blown fet on the TCON.
        After this, I believe you know what to do.
        Cheers, Janos

Comment

Thanks, I was thinking that of course, but just wanted to check. I'll let you all know how it goes. It'll take a week or two for the replacement board to come in.

Comment

Another successful repair. I had sound, no picture. Got new tcon board. disconected right side and got a faint picture. Removed it and it is as good as new.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Would anyone have any of the ribbons that connect the bottom driver boards to the side drivers, I just damaged mine trying to connect it back without pulling the side bezel all apart.

This is the bottom to the right side (looking from front)
              Attached Files

Comment

I have a 70 inch Aquos no display, tested by unplugging t-con ribbon connectors one side at a time. Ended removing right side tabs. Been on every day for almost 2 years. No problems

Comment

Originally posted by kevinm34232 View Post
                  Would anyone have any of the ribbons that connect the bottom driver boards to the side drivers, I just damaged mine trying to connect it back without pulling the side bezel all apart.

This is the bottom to the right side (looking from front)
                  not that it helps but why were you pulling it... to find a panel problem? If so, use the other one because if you have a panel problem, one side will no longer be used anyway.

Comment

Yes, I disconnected it to test for the panel issue. But you're right, I think that's the same side with the bad drivers anyway. I am waiting for the T-Con transistor to arrive to verify.

I actually was trying to reconnect it so I can demonstrate another test I found for checking what side of the panel is bad that should help everyone, but I wanted to confirm first with a working T-Con..

Comment

I have a ?, I replaced the transistor on T-Con. The right side ribbon drivers are disconnected (by the connector on the corner of the screen which is damaged anyway, but the tabs not yet torn off the LCD panel). This is the picture I get. Just distorted in the middle of the screen. Is this right?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by kevinm34232; 01-30-2019, 04:07 PM.

Comment

well... what happens is that the side tabs are still there BUT they are "unpowered" because the corner cable is disconnected. The result is that they "load" the other side "a bit" such that the dark area of the screen shows up.... middle to the side disconnected. IF you actually put in a "nice known test pattern", you could readily see any other potential issues. Having said that since you did replace a component on the board and now you get a picture and the card works, this is a strong indication that the problem was related to that side and thus like many in this thread, you are likely able to save the set by removing the side tabs on the bad side.

Comment

The problem is, I damaged the small ribbon cable feeding the right side. So I can't hook it back up to see. So that picture is left side hooked up only. I just wanna make sure before I rip the tabs off that the right side is the issue, which I think it is.

Comment

But... IF you want to check (and probably blow the FET again), you can just swap the cable to the other side.... no problem. You will likely not get any picture.

Comment

i bought 5 of the transistors so I'll try

Comment

Hi guys, first time poster here but been stalking since last year. WOW!! You guys are incredible!!! Geniuses I say!!! Well, Here is my story. I have read this a few times. First time can be a bit confusing but second time makes better sense. I was given the Vizio 70 by my brother about a year ago. He works for a real estate builder and this TV came out of his model home. They were gonna land fill it and being the fixing tinkyer I am, of course I took it. Needless to say this tv sat in the model home all day “ON”. Has all the same issues, back light but no pic. Last year I replaced the Tcon board (Ebay $20) plugged it in and I got a perfect V on the screen. Unfortunately it lasted 15 seconds. LOL. I am gonna Replace the transistor on both Tcon boards. Need to order the Transistor. I inspected the side drivers on the left side since that seems to be where most have been having problems. They all looked good to me. Tonight I looked at the right side facing screen. I am pretty confident I found my Burnt driver but the burn looks different than what I have seen posted. Want to share so others can get a idea of what it could look like. I would like a confermation that it's burnt before I peel the ribbons off the panel tho. I will replace the transistor and run the test before peeling the ribbons from panel. Note-the suspected burnt driver was at the top of the driver board on right side facing screen. Not exactly sure how to post my pic I uploaded to the album here. Will try. Wow that was not easy. 1st pic is the suspected burnt driver. 2nd pic is the next driver just below it. Thank you for any insight.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Dirtyphinger; 01-31-2019, 08:25 PM.

Comment

So I am currently at the same point you are with this same TV.
                                  I want to say first to be very careful with the ribbon cables in the bottom corners, as I damaged mine, and even though I think that's the bad side, I cannot confirm with picture test. If you look at this photo, that's what my screen looks like now after disconnecting the right side ribbon.

And then check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyCKoMi_5IA

On my TV I had about 9.5k resistance only after disconnecting right side.

According to that resistance test (if this is a true test), the right side on my tv is bad.
                                  I just haven't ripped the tabs off yet hoping someone would comment on my screen photo first.

As you can see only the middle of the picture is bad and confusing me..

If I didn't damage the ribbon I would at least be able to connect the other side only to see what it looks like.

By the way there is no visual sign of any failures on mine.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by kevinm34232; 01-31-2019, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Well this one is fixed. I finally got up the nerve to remove the right side tabs. Note that my TV showed different issue when I replaced the transistor on the T-Con and disconnected the right side (bad) ribbon. When I reconnected the right side (bad) and disconnected left side (good), I just had a blank screen but the transistor did not short out.

I relied on the video I put in the previous post to use the resistance test to see what side was bad, and it turned out to be true. Hope this helps some others in troubleshooting..

Do we have an idea if this fix works for long term from the people who did it years ago?
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Mine gave out after about a week, though it was due to a panel issue. The initial trauma might have been too much for the remaining drivers to hold up. Most people have had no issues, so I wouldn’t worry about it. There’s no other option aside from junking it.

Comment

KevinM, first off, congrats on the working tv and thanks for posting that video. It’s very helpful. I plan to order the new transistor tonight so I can get this thing up and running. Just curious where you purchased the transistor? I have already disordered the transistor off boath boards.

Comment

What do you mean in that last sentence?

Here's the part:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/755-RTR020N05TL

It's just one component on the T-Con.

Comment

Working...
                                          X