Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio Plasma 50HDTV10a problem

Hello,

I'm trying to fix my plasma tv that has a white vertical column in the center of the screen. The rest of the screen is black but I do have sound. Does any one have any experience with this or have any idea what it could be?

Thanks!

Walter Runyon

Re: Vizio Plasma 50HDTV10a problem

I have heard this may be caused by a failed Y buffer but to me it would seem more like control board or X buffer. You would do well by taking the back off your TV and photographing it so tests can be indicated.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I tried the other night to desolder one of the chips on the ysus board to see if it was burnt on the bottom but I wound up breaking it. So it definately needs a new ysus board. The ysus wouldn't cause this would it? I unplugged the zsus and the screen got dimmer so that seems to be working. I also did not find any bulged caps on the Zsus or Ysus, nor did I find any blown caps.

Should I still take a picture with the back off with no YSUS board?

Comment

Originally posted by runyonwc View Post
        I tried the other night to desolder one of the chips on the ysus board to see if it was burnt on the bottom but I wound up breaking it. So it definately needs a new ysus board. The ysus wouldn't cause this would it? I unplugged the zsus and the screen got dimmer so that seems to be working. I also did not find any bulged caps on the Zsus or Ysus, nor did I find any blown caps.

Should I still take a picture with the back off with no YSUS board?
        What chip did you desolder from the Ysus board?!

You may as well replace the Ysus board, I'd be 98% confident (**made up figure) that it's not causing this problem.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I tried to desolder one of the big chips with the heat sink on it.....so would you still like me to take a picture of the back of the tv or will it tell you nothing without a working ysus board?

Comment

I tried to desolder one of the big chips with the heat sink on it.....so would you still like me to take a picture of the back of the tv or will it tell you nothing without a working ysus board?
            Can you post a picture of the board you desoldered / attempted to desolder the chip from?

Comment

Comment

Per http://blog.coppelltvrepair.com/2010...-lines-in.html, you likely need a new buffer board. Unfortunately, that y-sustain is very expensive, if you can find one. Maybe you can find a new IPM chip to repair it. If I see anything I'll post it up here.

Comment

I spoke too soon. Assuming you have a 6871QYH039 A/B/C board, which it looks like but I can't make out from the picture, you need this chip: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sanyo-Module...1#ht_500wt_969

39.85 plus shipping if you are in the US.

Comment

To me this is a problem with either the X-Main or the Logic Main boards. The Y-Main addresses the rows, the X-Main addresses the columns. I don't think it is the main (signal) board. runyonwc, does the color and intensity of the central bar change if you change signal sources?

PlainBill
                    Last edited by PlainBill; 02-11-2012, 06:27 AM.
                    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

The screen does not change if I change signal sources. Do you think this TV is worth repairing? Right now it seems I will have to replace 3 boards (YSUS, Main, and X-board)

Comment

The screen does not change if I change signal sources. Do you think this TV is worth repairing? Right now it seems I will have to replace 3 boards (YSUS, Main, and X-board)
                        A new 50" plasma is around $600, the parts will probably cost $150 total, do the math.

Comment

I didn't realize the parts would be that affordable!

Comment

I didn't realize the parts would be that affordable!
                            The main logic is most likely the cause of this problem. You'll also need a new IPM or a new Y-sustain. Fix the Y-sustain first, before attempting to diagnose the main fault. The Y-sustain is unlikely to be the cause of the problem you are seeing.

Comment

Tom, did you read the link to coppell tv blog? It mentions the problem being the Y buffers, what do you think about that? Possible?

Comment

Tom, did you read the link to coppell tv blog? It mentions the problem being the Y buffers, what do you think about that? Possible?
                                That's what I initially thought, because I'd heard it before. But it seems very strange for a Y-buffer failure.

Does this TV have two Y-buffers, or just one?

Comment

It has two. I guess it couldn't hurt to do the resistance tests mentioned in the blog??

Comment

It has two. I guess it couldn't hurt to do the resistance tests mentioned in the blog??
                                    Well, when you replace or repair the Y-sustain, try running it with just one and see if you get half a picture back.

Comment

Will do!

Comment

So I put in a new buffer board and used ysus. The lines in the middle are gone now but I hear a clicking coming from the ysus and the screen kinda flashes on and off with the clicking.

Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                                        X