Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panasonic TC-50PU54 8 blinks picture flashes then dead

Originally posted by tn245 View Post
    Gotta say, although tvtimmy said he never found the resistor bad, that one in the photo looks to have a hole in the top. You sure it's testing ok?
    I know he said that he checked it for "continuity"... but what does that mean???? What was the resistance reading of the resistor in question??? I agree that resistor looks blown. Further, on my tcp50s30 "attempt to repair" resulted in a blown resistor as the "subtending FET's" were shorted. I suspect that resistor is blown and the resulting measurement (in circuit) isn't measuring the resistor but rather the rest / remaining circuit.

You need to check this area again.

Comment

Originally posted by tvtimmy View Post
      Check the connector that goes to the power supply for short.Check all the "Q" 3 legged. Transistors for short.
      If the connector is short, that means it'll show OL on the multimeter, correct? In this case, the power supply is not short. I've also checked all the "Q" 3 legged on the ss board and it's fine. I've also replace the sc board with a brand new board and it's still showing 6 blinks.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
        I know he said that he checked it for "continuity"... but what does that mean???? What was the resistance reading of the resistor in question??? I agree that resistor looks blown. Further, on my tcp50s30 "attempt to repair" resulted in a blown resistor as the "subtending FET's" were shorted. I suspect that resistor is blown and the resulting measurement (in circuit) isn't measuring the resistor but rather the rest / remaining circuit.

You need to check this area again.
        I assumed "continuity" means it's not short. To measure resistance, I need to plug in the power, correct?

Comment

Check everything on the SC/SN board for a short.

Comment

Originally posted by 2myCharlie View Post
            I assumed "continuity" means it's not short. To measure resistance, I need to plug in the power, correct?
            NO... all resistance measurements are done without powering as the meter provides its own power to determine the measurement.

As for "continuity means its not short"... ???? I think you need to go back and learn a little more about electricity / electrical terms.

A "short" is a "continuity" which shows "0 ohms" between the two probes.

further, a electrical path that has "resistance"... ie/ 10, 100 whatever ohms still has "continuity"... meaning there is a "real" connection / path between the two probe point. The term "continuity" just means there is an electrical path between the two probes... the term needs further qualification in terms of resistance to provide any usefulness.... kind of like measuring one's temperature and then saying you have a "temperature". Yes in general that would true, otherwise you may be dead but the useful qualifier would be that you have temperature of 100F, then there is meaning to the "test".

so, some what side tracked but you measured "continutity" but what was the resistance of the "continuity"... 0, 1, 2, 100, ???? depending on what you read, will tell us what perhaps is happening.... assuming of course, we also know which two points you were taking the reading for.

I suspect that based on the "exchange" that you have provided, that perhaps you need to really state exactly what you did when you measure things if you want to get to a good ending as I for one am not very confident that the description and technique is OK. could be wrong but that's my read. It would be shameful if you can't get this thing readily fixed.

Comment

If the connector is short, that means it'll show OL on the multimeter, correct? In this case, the power supply is not short. I've also checked all the "Q" 3 legged on the ss board and it's fine. I've also replace the sc board with a brand new board and it's still showing 6 blinks.
              NO.... "OL" means "OverLoad" which means the meter can't measure the connection... if it is on resistance, it means the resistance between the two probes is beyond the scale of the meter... likely meaning its "open circuit" and NOT "shorted".

with the "3 legged Qs", placing the meter on "resistance" (no power on the circuit), black probe on the large tab of the back to the Q and red on each one of the legs, they should NOT read "0" except for the middle leg which is tied to the large back tab. If any of the other legs read "0", that component IS SHORTED.

Comment

IF I understand this statement, it actually likely means they are all shorted... :-( as your "logic" is kind of "backwards".
                The measurement that you made probably was "0" (zero) which is a "dead short".
                Last edited by budwich; 04-03-2018, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Sorry to bump this thread, I'm having the infamous 8 blink error however, that happens after the TV powers on for 1- 2 minutes. Since the TV DOEs work fine for a few minutes, is it still of value buying the repair kit?

Or are there other areas to check? I've read through the entirety of this and similar threads and there doesn't seem to be any conclusion.

Comment

Working...
                  X