Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sacon on Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Ultra Platinum: Rounded tops, not popped, not leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sacon on Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Ultra Platinum: Rounded tops, not popped, not leaking

My motherboard stopped working two or three years ago. I believe that at the time I looked at the caps but didn't notice anything wrong. Maybe I did not look closely enough.

Anyway now I look at the board, and I am not sure whether I see bad caps.

The board has exactly 9 Sacon 3300 uF 6.3 V caps, and all of them are near the CPU. They are all marked "SZ305" and have rounded tops. The tops have not popped, and I don't see signs of leakage. It is just that the tops are dome-shaped. They are about 1/2 to 3/4 millimeter higher at the center of the top than they are at the perimeter of the top. I hope that's a clear enough description.

There are more than 50 electrolytics of other sizes on the board. All of them are Sacon, but none of them have rounded tops or look unusual otherwise.

Can I be pretty sure that the rounded ones are bad?

If they are bad, what are the prospects for a successful repair by replacing just those 9 domed caps?

Re: Sacon on Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Ultra Platinum: Rounded tops, not popped, not leaki

A domed top means that the caps are definitely bad. Sacon caps are the most unreliable brand in existance. Replace all Sacons 470uF and up, bulging or not.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Re: Sacon on Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Ultra Platinum: Rounded tops, not popped, not leaki

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
      A domed top means that the caps are definitely bad. Sacon caps are the most unreliable brand in existance. Replace all Sacons 470uF and up, bulging or not.
      Okay, thanks for your reply. Domed => bad.

Now what about the effects of the bad caps on the other components? Could they have hurt the CPU for instance? They are all in a row near the CPU and northbridge. My interest in using the board is kind of marginal, but I would like to get it running again ...

Comment

CPUs are pretty tough, so it should be fine. I haven't seen a fried CPU since the socket A days, unless you were pushing the envelope and overclocking with very high voltages. A recap should be all that's needed to get it up and running.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Sacon caps are the most unreliable brand in existance. Replace all Sacons 470uF and up, bulging or not.
          What if I get lazy and just replace the bulged ones for now? I mean maybe there isn't much load on the others and they are going to last another ten years. Could it be that way?

Comment

You risk running into random freezes/crashes/BSODs. At the very least, replace all the caps in the VRM, around the chipset, and around the RAM slots. Oh wait, that's pretty much all of them.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Junkrepair View Post
              What if I get lazy and just replace the bulged ones for now?
              That's fine for something you keep. You'll get to learn first hand how quickly the remaining caps will fail. When you get tired of servicing the computer over and over you will replace them all.
              sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                CPUs are pretty tough, so it should be fine. I haven't seen a fried CPU since the socket A days,
                This board is Socket A.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

This board is Socket A.
                  Yes, I have an AMD Athlon XP Barton 2500+ in it, if I remember right.

So can I get a guess of how common CPU or other chip damage would be in this situation?

Comment

I have recapped 4 SOYO Socket A boards. On these boards I replace ALL the caps, every one. Why? The little ones are undersized and can stop the entire board from working. Seriously a 4x7mm cap does not belong on a motherboard. The most likely chips to be damaged by these little caps are the onboard sound, the onboard LAN and the Highpoint RAID. Don't operate the thing with bulged caps. All SACON caps are garbage, seriously replace them all!

I recommend Nichicon PW series for the smaller caps. Use Nichicon HM or HN, Rubycon MBZ or MCZ for the bigger stuff.

Comment

Agreed. You don't often have to replace every single tiny little cap, but GSC/Sacon are the exception. You can also use Panny FC and Chemi-con LXZ for the small ones. they have the same specs as Nichicon PW.

Comment

For the small caps (below 470 uF, that is - unless it's a polymer), you can use anything as long as it's rated 105C and is a Japanese brand (United Chemicon, Nichicon, Panasonic, Rubycon, etc.). I usually go with "sort by price" when I shop for those. Every motherboard I have seen uses those after LDOs, so there's hardly any noise for them to filter. But you will often find that low ESR caps are sometimes cheaper than the general purpose ones.

Comment

I found the Sacon SZ spec sheet way back when, and stored it away, but I don't see it online anymore, so I'm posting it here now. I wasn't able to read it using Adobe Acrobat reader, due to missing fonts, but I found I was able to read almost all of it using Evince.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X