Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Experienced with Server 2003 TS & AD ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone Experienced with Server 2003 TS & AD ?

* FYI - I did try running the 2nd drive's system with the /PAE switch. It still did not see any more than the 4 GB.

T
    veritas odium parit

Comment

>>So the RAID stopped working when someone upgraded the TS server from Win2K3 32-bit to Win2K3 64-bit?<<

No. The RAID was turned off in BIOS. Drives were set to SATA compatibility mode instead of RAID.

T
      veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
        * FYI - I did try running the 2nd drive's system with the /PAE switch. It still did not see any more than the 4 GB.

T
        Yea, the Standard edition can only address 4GB, as I wrote before:
        "for licensing reasons and general MS bullshit this only applies to the Enterprise Edition & Datacenter Edition"

That is also what is missing, the Domain login option that we used to get on RDP. From various clients you would get the drop down box for the address 192.168.xxx.200, or the name TS or the domain. The domain is not there now...?
        Well did you join it into the domain after the reinstall?

I'm sorry but without more details it's neigh impossible to help you further, you still did not answer if it's possible to login via RDP to the TS directly, not via domain login?
        Last edited by Per Hansson; 12-27-2012, 04:10 PM.
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Turned out this was a licensing issue. Once reestablished (and the paperwork was found!), all is well.

The previous install was using the 24G, when it had the license.

Since this install was x64, it had all the RAM it needed, just not the license.

Yes, it was joined into the domain. Both when I tried the 2nd drive and when I did the clean install of 2003 R2 x64. Sucker runs like a bat outta hell now!

The license issue took <20 mins to resolve. Reestablishing all the printers (12) was another matter... UGH! Finding 64 bit drivers for some was a hassle. Found that using XP x64 drivers solved most of the headaches for us. A lot of the drivers labeled for 2003 x64 just would not work!

A couple minor issues remain, but that is most relinking and pathing from the various software.

One curious issue has come up when a client goes to log out. Keep getting a message about a program that is still running. The numbers vary, but it's a DOS box with something like 3789652/2694 as the header. If you click close, it goes away and doesn't seem to have any effect. The numbers vary every time. I suppose a perusal of the event logs may reveal something... Very odd.

Thanks for all the input, gents!

T
          veritas odium parit

Comment

The license issue took <20 mins to resolve. Reestablishing all the printers (12) was another matter... UGH! Finding 64 bit drivers for some was a hassle. Found that using XP x64 drivers solved most of the headaches for us. A lot of the drivers labeled for 2003 x64 just would not work!
            Yea finding x64 drivers can sometimes be impossible, that's why I said that if the need arises you can always run the 32bit version of Enterprise Edition or Datacenter Edition Server 2003 which will allow you via PAE to address up to 64GB & 128GB RAM respectively... (Of course if you are able to find drivers it is much better to run x64)
            Btw, XP x64 & Server 2003 x64 are the same OS, they even share service packs & hotfixes...
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

The original clone of the hard drive is probably the reason you lost domain trust. The machine Sid changes which results in your trust being lost with the DC. Leaving and rejoining the domain will repair that. It will Also happen if the machine is off the domain too long and computer password looses sync.

Reference your kill commands at log off, do you have log off scripts enabled at all? If so this maybe your issue... It may have used to run a script which referred to a location of program etc which used to be on your old config which it can no longer find.

Comment

Interesting and something to remember. Thanks!

No log off scripts. There is a log on script that is "supposed" to run when each user logs on to TS. Basically sets printers, groups, and some shares. It's and old script and several of the shares are no longer used.

Trying to get the RAID set back up. No sure of how to get it working? I did clone the current working drive to a new one and installed an identical blank drive in the second slot. Turned the RAID on in BIOS and booted from the HP setup disk to enable it. It only gave me a RAID 0 choice though, not RAID 1. Enabled the second disk through HP's utility.

Upon boot it saw both drives and looked like it was going to work. The initial Server 2003 Windows screen appeared for about 15 seconds then it Blue Screened and rebooted. I'm assuming it needs the RAID drivers installed, but when I do a repair of the Windows installation (not Repair Console), I press F6 to install drivers. It gets into the setup and asks for the drivers in Drive A:... Uhhh..., there is no Drive A: !!

It does not prompt to browse for any other drives nor will it let me swap the CD with the HP one to get them.

At a loss here as to how to get the drivers in that it needs? For now it's running on the original disk in SATA mode with the 2 new ones disconnected.

There is no "makedisk" utility on the HP Setup Disk that I can find. I'm going to try perhaps extracting the files to a Flash Drive and see if it will recognize that. Don't know...?

From the HP Setup Disk - ML150 G6
                --------------------------------------------------------
                HP Proliant Smart Array Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2003/2008 x64 Editions version 6.6.0.64 (15 Apr 2009)

Click the link below to download this software: cp010380.exe

This driver provides support for the HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller on Microsoft Windows Server 2003/2008 x64 Editions.
                --------------------------------------------------------

If I extract it and try to run the install, it says the hardware doesn't exit (because it's not turned on in BIOS). Can I install it some other way that Windows will see upon reboot, or will I still have to do the Repair Installation?

T
                veritas odium parit

Comment

The proper method is to make a new installation CD and integrate the drivers into that...
                  You may also be able to use certain USB floppy drives.

Comment

You mean a Server 2003 installation CD, i.e., a slipstreamed CD, correct?

Can you recommend a good (easy to follow) guide for creating one?

Server 2003 R2
                    Standard x64 Edition
                    Service Pack 2

T
                    Last edited by Toasty; 02-03-2013, 04:27 PM.
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

^^yes correct...
                      I think nLite can do it, I never did try myself though...
                      http://www.komku.org/2007/11/integra....ztFSYcr6.dpbs

Comment

Alittle late.. - sorry!
                        Should have joint the forums years ago.

On servers (apart from domain controllers) you always have alocal administrator account.

When you have an error .. "cant connect to domain as its unavaliable" normally indicates a service to do with networking that has not started or the network adapter has not been installed.

If you have an error to do with domain trust, the server /pc needs to be deleted from AD, removed from domain and then readded in.

to actually logon to the PC you can logon using the local administrator account, to do this you need to set the logon to section to this computer and entre the username and password for the local administrator account or, type in the username field \administrator and whatever the password is.

This will get you on the domain, set the network card ip address and proper DNS.

DNS is important, if the server does not gain a valid Domain Naming Server it will not be able to find the correct route.

edit .....
                        If you are having issues with a domain controller you will need to login with "directory restore mode". Rem... DNS needs to function for Active Directory to work! to check the status of your domain controller you need to run DCDIAG.

I am around, so your server problems can all come to me! but can someone help me fix my broken LCDS/TFTs!
                        Last edited by cmia; 09-03-2013, 08:30 AM.

Comment

I never did get the drives connected through the onboard RAID. I went with the Windows management console and turned on mirroring there. I simply was not going back through setting up this server again.

I now have a different problem as one of the 2 AD/DC's seems to lose its' connection to the rest of the network. Or, it becomes painfully slow and may take 5 minutes to be found. Rebooting it on a daily basis seems to be the only way I can keep it accessible.

I can remote in at 4AM and everything seems fine. But by 9AM they can't get into the folders needed. I remote back in and sure enough, a connection that was fine 5 hours prior takes at least 5 minutes to come up. The other servers can't see this server, but it can (once it's up) see them...?

Sometimes this will run fine for days and days with no issues. Then suddenly, it goes to hell in a handbasket.

veritas odium parit

Comment

I never did get the drives connected through the onboard RAID. I went with the Windows management console and turned on mirroring there. I simply was not going back through setting up this server again.

I now have a different problem as one of the 2 AD/DC's seems to lose its' connection to the rest of the network. Or, it becomes painfully slow and may take 5 minutes to be found. Rebooting it on a daily basis seems to be the only way I can keep it accessible.

I can remote in at 4AM and everything seems fine. But by 9AM they can't get into the folders needed. I remote back in and sure enough, a connection that was fine 5 hours prior takes at least 5 minutes to come up. The other servers can't see this server, but it can (once it's up) see them...?

Sometimes this will run fine for days and days with no issues. Then suddenly, it goes to hell in a handbasket.

Network hardware failing under load?
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Just for clarity, here are the individual servers and their roles in the domain:

192.168.xxx.200 = Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition SP2

- Terminal Server
                              - File Server
                              - Print Server
                              192.168.xxx.201 = Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2

- Domain Controller (Active Directory)
                              - DNS Server
                              - Terminal Server
                              - Application Server
                              - Print Server
                              - File Server

Runs Advantage Database Server

192.168.xxx.202 = Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition
                              { This is the one that seems to get lost}

- Domain Controller (Active Directory)
                              - DNS Server
                              - DHCP Server
                              - Print Server
                              - File Server

192.168.xxx.203 = Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (64 bit)

- File Services
                              - Web Server IIS ( Why? I do not know...? )

Server runs PostgresSQL Server for Electronic Medical Records program.

All 4 are tied together by standard patch cables into a 24 port switch - HP Procurve 2724 J4897A.

It's setup as it has been for many years. I'm thinking something else is awry.

T
                              Last edited by Toasty; 09-03-2013, 09:23 AM. Reason: Add missed info.
                              veritas odium parit

Comment

@Ratdude - I had a problem twice in the past year with the problem server (202) with it taking out the 4th (bank 2, #2) of the 4 - 1GB memory modules.

( Yes, this is the one that I was looking for a matched set of RAM for in the Wanted thread.) Turns out they used both 184 pin and 240 pin in this model. Depending on the motherboard. The documentation was not clear on this and allowed me to get my information crossed. Very confusing if you weren't expecting 2 different styles of mobo's in the same model server. Turns out this took "normal" 240 pin ECC RAM after all. Picked up a couple for <$15 and all is well.

Since replacing it, it has been fine. There are warning lights on the mobo and front panel when there is a memory fault.

T
                                veritas odium parit

Comment

Picked up a couple for <$15 and all is well.
                                  I love how cheap used/old ECC is....
                                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

This server that is having isssues, are you having any errors like 333 or i/o registry errors in the eventviewer ? any RPC events ?

does the server have any addtiontal roles ? eg print server ? backup jobs over the network ?

It could be dropping off the network due to a faulty network card or to many tcip connections/ runs out of ports to hand out. (this is a know issue with server 2003, and MS issues a regfix)

when your having issues with the server, and you try to map to it via hostname so
                                    \\servername and Ip address \\ipaddress, what error do you get ?

can you mmc from another server onto the console? open up a command prompt and type in
                                    tasklisk /S /SERVERNAME does it respond?

logged onto the server if you restart the server service what does that do?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions!

- No errors like those

- It is a print server as noted in post 34

- But, would it be dropping only on the receive side? It -can- see the other servers. Pinging it from any server or client is fine.

- I will try that the next time it drops off. So far so good this AM.

- re:MMC - I can't see the server from anywhere else, that's the issue. I will try the tasklist at next failure.

- Have not tried the restart of the service. Will give that a try also.

RDC into it from another server also takes ~3 minutes before it gets me in. That's usually how I get to it to restart as the SonicWall times out because it won't connect.

T
                                      veritas odium parit

Comment

If it happens again, try to restart just the server service and see how it responds.

any PCL6 drivers?

Comment

- Will do!

- Possibly. I'll have to review.

What effect do they have?

T

EDIT: Yes there are 2 PCL drivers:

HP LaserJet 4240 PCL 6
                                          Samsung ML-2570 Series PCL 6

Both drivers - Version: Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, x86

T

Also -

On the 201 server - none
                                          On the 200 (TS):

TOSHIBA e-STUDIO455Series PCL6
                                          HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6

Version: Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, x64

T
                                          Last edited by Toasty; 09-04-2013, 12:17 PM.
                                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
                                          X