MS-6701 OEM for Medion MD5000 aka Titanium MD 8000 XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS-6701 OEM for Medion MD5000 aka Titanium MD 8000 XL

I have done a great deal of troubleshooting and I have concluded that bad capacitors are the most likely cause of my continued problems.

Here is the history;
    1. Purchased a Medion Titanium MD 8000 XL from Aldi in November of 2002. It was a great buy at the time. My brother bought the same system a couple of weeks after me.
    2. Over the course of the next 2 years and 9 months the system operated well and I added memory to take it from the original 256 MB to 512 then 1 GB, and also added a DVD burner and a larger hard drive.
    3. Some time in late 2004 my brother started experiencing some issues with his Medion and he found the bad cap information on the Internet and opened his system and sure enough he could visibly indentify some bad caps. He is in the electronics business and replaced them himself but only 4 or 5 that he felt needed to be replaced because there were close to other power related components. He also replaced his power supply because he felt that it was under sized for the system. I didn't agree with him about the power supply. I opened my system and inspected the capacitors, including the ones on the inside of the power supply. They all looked fine and I wasn't having any problems.
    3. Around July of 2005 I started getting BSODs, with "stop" messages that were erractic as to cause, but they were relatively infrequent, probably once every 2 weeks. I suspected it was a driver issue. I did run a memory test for over 12 hours from a bootable CD and concluded that it wasn't memory.
    4. I have troubleshoot these BSODs for about three months now and finally have concluded that it is not a Windows driver issue and it is not overheating. After running a diagnostic Linux boot CD and doing diagnostics with that, I concluded that the problem is hardware and most likely bad capacitors because I found one capacitor with a slight bulge in it. All the other capacitors look fine. BTW, the Linux diagnostic boot CD was dowloaded from here http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ . When I ran the Lucifer system stress test I received errors but there was virtually no information as to what the errors were and my system got hot enough (checked with PC Wizard 2006) that I wondered if overheating could be the problem. The errors took a half an hour to start occurring and there weren't many of them. I couldn't find any information about Lucifer so I tried running some CPU stress tests with my case open and a large fan blowing directly into the open case. That didn't produce any errors but I only ran them for a short time before I switched to memory testing using Memtest86+. This did produce errors, not a great amount though, and at that point I did some more research. That research has led me to believe that replacing my capacitors is my best bet. If that doesn't work, then the power supply will get replaced. At that point if the problems still exist then this motherboard is destined for retirement.

I will keep this thread updated, as the whole process has been time consuming and frustrating. If I can save some people from the same frustration and time, it will make me feel better.

BTW, I called MSI's tech support and mentioned "bad capacitors" and they issued me an RMA after I provided my serial number. After holding my MB for 8 business days (so I was without it for 16 days total), MSI returned it and said they couldn't fix it because it was a MB manufactured for Medion. I called them and complained vehemently that they shouldn't have issued an RMA. MSI claim that they don't have information to differentiate between OEM boards and boards they sell under their MSI brand. I told them that they should have that information and why did it take 8 business days for them to return my motherboard! The person I was speaking to was not fluent in English and I decided I was wasting my time.

Re: MS-6701 OEM for Medion MD5000 aka Titanium MD 8000 XL

MSI was stupid with Kiwi's case.

RMA with these companies are horrible with bad capacitors, and MSI is one of the known ones. Now they hold on to the board for 16 whole days and then send it back saying that they can't do anything. What a shame for MSI.

My cousin's computer has an OEM MSI board manufactured for Compaq and there is not much of a difference between the Compaq OEM and original retail board, just the BIOS (PhoenixBIOS instead of Award BIOS). The capacitors are all still the same.

Another reason could be that because you said your brother replaced a few of the bad caps, and motherboard manufacturers don't accept recapped boards, even if there are only a few caps that didn't originally come with the board.
    Last edited by Newbie2; 03-09-2006, 01:39 PM.
    My gaming PC:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
      ...... Another reason could be that because you said your brother replaced a few of the bad caps, and motherboard manufacturers don't accept recapped boards, even if there are only a few caps that didn't originally come with the board.
      You misunderstood, my brother bought the same Medion system and when he had some BSODs with his system he replaced some of his capacitors. My system was totally original as manufactured by MSI.

Comment

oem systems can have a different support agreement with the manufacturer and the duration of support may not be so long. Commonly this is due to some price agreement, so we want these systems for this low price and we will warranty them for only 1 year instead of your normal 3 year manufacturer gurantee or whatever. ok we can do that price but you must support your end users direct thereby saving us money and then you will send us batches of broken stuff for replacement periodically.

i just build systems from parts now, even for the office. i pick and choose the best parts and deal with manufacturers direct for each failed part. it is more expensive though.

it is shitty that msi could not identify your serial as not supported by them, thereby dissapointing you. Regarding the support agreement, i am not suprised.

are you going to recap the board now? i am sure you can succeed. your brother can maybe help you. tell us if you have any problems and we will help you.
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
          oem systems can have a different support agreement with the manufacturer and the duration of support may not be so long. Commonly this is due to some price agreement, so we want these systems for this low price and we will warranty them for only 1 year instead of your normal 3 year manufacturer gurantee or whatever. ok we can do that price but you must support your end users direct thereby saving us money and then you will send us batches of broken stuff for replacement periodically.
          Yes, I understand all of what you stated. You can read my post and you will notice that I had no issue with the fact that MSI would not repair the motherboard. I also did not raise an issue about Medion not stepping up and fixing the motherboard because the warranty had expired, although companies that understand the value of future business would have offered to do something e.g. provide replacement capacitors.

it is shitty that msi could not identify your serial as not supported by them, thereby dissapointing you. Regarding the support agreement, i am not suprised.
          That was the point of my comments about MSI. They not only dissapointed me but cost me money (~$8 to send the MB to them) and time (16 days I was without a computer).

are you going to recap the board now? i am sure you can succeed. your brother can maybe help you. tell us if you have any problems and we will help you.
          Yes, I am going to have my brother recap my motherboard this weekend as he is visiting me. I ordered the capacitors from http://www.computekinc.us/ based on a recommendation on this forum. I was surprised when they told me they have a minimum order quantity of 20 for each type of capacitor you need as their website leads you to believe they do orders for specific motherboards and the recommendation on this forum. They do state elsewhere on their website about the 20 quantity minimum. When I told them I had read about their site on badcaps.net they fulfilled my order though it cost me $20 for 26 capacitors.
          Last edited by willawake; 03-22-2006, 12:20 PM.

Comment

With some concern about the high temperatures I was experiencing and good advice from gonzo0815

Originally posted by gonzo0815
            Do you cheked the FSP 250w-MDN psu ? Medion usually build the system with that psu and there are bad fuyuhi caps which are leakiing after probably 2 to 3 years. Sometimes earlier.
            I checked the power supply (FSP250-60MDN-120US) and there were at least 3 bulging capacitors. Due to the tight packing of the components I decided that replacing the bulging capacitors wasn't practical and I purchased a 350 watt power supply at CompUSA (free after rebate!). I haven't recapped my motherboard yet but I thought it would be worth while to run the tests (memtest 86+ & Lucifer) off my bootable Linux CD. I still saw some errors but there were fewer over the same time period. I then booted Windows and did some temperature checking and things are running much cooler now.

Is excess heat generation a typical symptom of a power supply with bad capacitors?

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi
              Is excess heat generation a typical symptom of a power supply with bad capacitors?
              Yes
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

What brand of power supply did you buy?
                The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1992
                  What brand of power supply did you buy?
                  An el cheapo CompUSA model as I needed one quicker than I could get it by ordering one and having it delivered.

I might replace it with this model that I can order from Radio Shack for $10 after rebates. The main reason I would replace the CompUSA power supply is noise because the Radio Shack model has a 120 mm fan and the CompUSA has a 80 MM. Neither one of them is a noteworthy unit. If you are looking for a top notch power supply then the Seasonic SS-300SFD is a great choice though finding it can be tough and you also need an adapter I think.

Comment

I know my PSUs. That one you bought is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1992
                      I know my PSUs. That one you bought is pretty good.
                      Care to elaborate? There are very few specifications that came with this PSU and the technical support website listed on the small note of documentation has absolutely no information.

I do know this;
                      1. the fan runs at the same speed regardless of load (original Fortron PSU was thermostactically controlled)
                      2. the fan is smaller (80mm or 92mm) than the 120mm fan in original Fortron unit
                      2. The fan is mounted at the back of the PSU so the noise is directly transmitted into the room (the Fortron had the fan on the top of the PSU so that the noise of the fan was mostly contained inside the case).
                      4. runs much cooler than my Fortron FSP250-60MDN with the bulging capacitors.

So I am happy that this PSU is running cooler however the noise of the unit is distracting and I think I will order the PSU from Radio Shack, although I am trying to verify if the Ultra PSU has a thermistor controlled fan .

Comment

anything free is definitely suspect, anything from RS also. you wanna give us a peek inside that freebie to check it out. perhaps it is ok?

Comment

the Radio Shack units I am considering are from Ultra Products and the specific models are theULT31840 and the ULT31845. There is an excellent review of the ULT31845 at SilentPCReview.com

I won't take photos of the Power Master PSU as it will void the 90 day warranty though once the 90 days have passed then I will, if I keep it.

Comment

hmmm and you can get one for $10 well i would say get me one also. whether you will need dual 12v is up to you. if you dont require for any specific future purpose then personally i believe it is better to have single and the full amps.

Comment

the ULT31840 is $10 after rebates. It has a single 12V rail.

the ULT31845 is $30 after rebates. It has dual 12V rails.

I am leaning towards the ULT31840 but I don't know if it has the variable fan thermistor.

Comment

Sorry, I was referring to the Seasonic. Ultra don't have a great reputation, their original X-Connect was prone to failure and made by Taiwan Young Year, an unimpressive manufacturer.

Comment

status update;

New power supply on Wednesday at 6 PM.

Saturday March 25 at 6 PM - Replaced all caps over 1000 uf with Rubycon capacitors.

My brother did the cap replacement and it was a delicate situation as he didn't have the best tools for the job but he got it done on Saturday evening. I have had the system powered on and operating at close to 100% or CPU since then and everthing is fine. I will not consider this computer fixed until it has run for more than a wekk without a Blue Screen Of Death.

I did run some Linux memory tests (memtest 86+ v1.65) and I did get errors though I believe the real test is stressing the systems using Windows applications.

Comment

If you get errors in Memtest your system will not be stable, try to relax the memory timings in the BIOS, perhaps they are higher than what the memory is rated for?
                                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                                      If you get errors in Memtest your system will not be stable, try to relax the memory timings in the BIOS, perhaps they are higher than what the memory is rated for?
                                      There is no provision in this OEM (Medion) BIOS to alter the memory timings.

At approximately 3 PM US CST my sytem had a BSOD and "stop error" with an "IRQ_NOT_EQUAL..." message, so things are not rectified. I am ready to throw in the towel on this motherboard and purchase a more recent one that is directly supported so I can be assured of support and adjustment.

Comment

test your ram in another computer. it should have no errors if it is ok. there is a possibility your ram is bad.

Comment

Working...
                                        X