Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polymodding Asus A7V266-E, Capacitor Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Polymodding Asus A7V266-E, Capacitor Recommendations?

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
    The three caps on the VRM input side are 1500uF 6.3V Nichicon HD. They are used interchangeably with Rubycon ZL, Sanyo WX, and Chemi-con KZE in this position. Looking carefully at the second and fourth photo reveals part of the “HD(M)” series designation (“D(M)”, somewhat cut off in the photo but still quite visible) on the sleeve. Given that they’re seventeen years old now, it can’t hurt to replace them (or for that matter the OST capacitors scattered about the board). But I don’t think it’s mandatory.
    The larger capacitors I'm replacing are definitely HM series, I will confirm the capacity of the slightly smaller capacitors, I might just do similar capacitors that I'm using on the larger capacitors, just lower capacity.

This is what I was thinking, just need to verify what is currently on the board:

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...313-ND/5824536
    Last edited by gryffinwings; 09-16-2018, 03:26 PM.

Comment

The three caps on the VRM input side are 1500uF 6.3V Nichicon HD (not to be confused with the failed 3300uF 6.3V Nichicon HM that are awaiting replacements, located on the VRM output side). They are used interchangeably with Rubycon ZL, Sanyo WX, and Chemi-con KZE in this position. Looking carefully at the second and fourth photo reveals part of the “HD(M)” series designation (“D(M)”, somewhat cut off in the photo but still quite visible) on the sleeve. Given that they're seventeen years old now, it can't hurt to replace them (or for that matter the OST capacitors scattered about the board). But I don't think it's mandatory.
      I have confirmed you are indeed correct, they are Nichicon HD series 1500uF 6.3volt capacitors, not sure what to replace them with, here a link to the Nichicon HD series capacitors, need help understanding what I am reading here. I'd like to get the appropriate replacement capacitors for these.

http://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/pr.../pdfs/e-hd.pdf

While prepping the board for desolding and soldering operations, I went ahead and removed the northbridge cooler and found this nastiness:

Last edited by gryffinwings; 09-16-2018, 04:38 PM.

Comment

The three caps on the VRM input side are 1500uF 6.3V Nichicon HD (not to be confused with the failed 3300uF 6.3V Nichicon HM that are awaiting replacements, located on the VRM output side). They are used interchangeably with Rubycon ZL, Sanyo WX, and Chemi-con KZE in this position. Looking carefully at the second and fourth photo reveals part of the “HD(M)” series designation (“D(M)”, somewhat cut off in the photo but still quite visible) on the sleeve. Given that they’re seventeen years old now, it can’t hurt to replace them (or for that matter the OST capacitors scattered about the board). But I don’t think it’s mandatory.
        Man, you have good eyes!
        Nichicon HD are okay, and indeed it's not necessary to change them. However, the o/p can use that spare Chemico PSG 16V, 2200 uF polymer cap to replace one of them. It should hold the board working just fine, even if the others happened to fail for whatever reason (which probably won't happen if they worked for that long).

As for the OST caps... I wouldn't bother replacing them on this board, especially if they are RLS series (RLP and RLG are a bit more iffy, but still okay in low-stress applications). There are no other buck regulators other than the CPU VRM, so these OST caps don't get stressed much. Only liner regulators, and those don't care too much about low ESR. If you do really want to replace them for the sake of consistency, then *don't* use polymers, as some linear regulators may actually get upset.

Originally posted by gryffinwings View Post
        I have confirmed you are indeed correct, they are Nichicon HD series 1500uF 6.3volt capacitors, not sure what to replace them with
        The 16V, 1500 uF Chemicon PSG caps you mentioned in your above digikey link should be fine... as would the 16V, 2200 uF PSG caps you are using for replacing the failed HMs. Doesn't really matter. The input/high-side of the CPU VRM doesn't care if you go very low on ESR.

While prepping the board for desolding and soldering operations, I went ahead and removed the northbridge cooler and found this nastiness:

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...8c&oe=5C356705
        Nothing nasty about it. Just over-applied white thermal compound.
        Those VIA chipsets don't get too hot anyways. You could probably go with a bigger heatsink (but still with a fan) and have the fan run at a very slow speed so that it's both quiet and won't wear out as fast. (In addition to that, it will also collect less dust over time).

On a slightly related note, you can do something similar for the CPU heatsink: get a bigger/oversized heatsink (provided you can even find a good one for socket 462, as they are kind of rare these days) and put a slower-turning fan on it. That's one way to make these oldschool PCs just a bit more quiet... unless you actually like jet-engine sounds all the time.
        Last edited by momaka; 09-17-2018, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Here are pictures of the leaking that has started, compared with the pictures posted at the top, it's already going downhill, wasn't expecting it to be this soon, oh well.
          in this forum, we keep telling people: if a board has bad caps, STOP using it until u fix the bad caps. running a computer with bad caps could cause further damage.

actually, in my case, it WILL cause further damage. when i was a comp newbie, i ran a few of my boards with bad caps thinking it still worked until i ended up with a dead board. recapped the bad caps but then the board will still no longer post even after the recap. many here have also experienced the same thing after running a board with bad caps until they no longer work even after a recap. so let this be your warning against running a board with bad caps on it!
          the thermal paste is old and has caked up and dried up. it should be replaced. u can use grey metal oxide paste like arctic mx-2 or mx-4. however, since its a wire-bond die chip and it also doesnt run hot, using grey metal oxide paste over the large area of the die may not be cost effective. u can use white silicone paste which may be more cost effective. good white silicone pastes are arctic ceramique, anabond and servisol.

also remember to remove the cpu and cmos battery BEFORE u start (de)soldering!!! i still see the cpu on the board in the previous picture u posted!

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
            in this forum, we keep telling people: if a board has bad caps, STOP using it until u fix the bad caps. running a computer with bad caps could cause further damage.

actually, in my case, it WILL cause further damage. when i was a comp newbie, i ran a few of my boards with bad caps thinking it still worked until i ended up with a dead board. recapped the bad caps but then the board will still no longer post even after the recap. many here have also experienced the same thing after running a board with bad caps until they no longer work even after a recap. so let this be your warning against running a board with bad caps on it!

the thermal paste is old and has caked up and dried up. it should be replaced. u can use grey metal oxide paste like arctic mx-2 or mx-4. however, since its a wire-bond die chip and it also doesnt run hot, using grey metal oxide paste over the large area of the die may not be cost effective. u can use white silicone paste which may be more cost effective. good white silicone pastes are arctic ceramique, anabond and servisol.

also remember to remove the cpu and cmos battery BEFORE u start (de)soldering!!! i still see the cpu on the board in the previous picture u posted!
            I don't think the board suffered any real damage from me running it, I wasn't really putting it through strenuous use anyways.

Arctic MX-4 is what I have already, it's not like it's expensive stuff. So it will be what I use.

Anyways I haven't desoldered anything yet, no point until I receive the parts, the narrower soldering tip and the solder that I ordered. The pictures posted were for reference for the chipset having what I believe was too much thermal paste.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              Man, you have good eyes!
              Nichicon HD are okay, and indeed it's not necessary to change them. However, the o/p can use that spare Chemico PSG 16V, 2200 uF polymer cap to replace one of them. It should hold the board working just fine, even if the others happened to fail for whatever reason (which probably won't happen if they worked for that long).

As for the OST caps... I wouldn't bother replacing them on this board, especially if they are RLS series (RLP and RLG are a bit more iffy, but still okay in low-stress applications). There are no other buck regulators other than the CPU VRM, so these OST caps don't get stressed much. Only liner regulators, and those don't care too much about low ESR. If you do really want to replace them for the sake of consistency, then *don't* use polymers, as some linear regulators may actually get upset.

The 16V, 1500 uF Chemicon PSG caps you mentioned in your above digikey link should be fine... as would the 16V, 2200 uF PSG caps you are using for replacing the failed HMs. Doesn't really matter. The input/high-side of the CPU VRM doesn't care if you go very low on ESR.

Nothing nasty about it. Just over-applied white thermal compound.
              Those VIA chipsets don't get too hot anyways. You could probably go with a bigger heatsink (but still with a fan) and have the fan run at a very slow speed so that it's both quiet and won't wear out as fast. (In addition to that, it will also collect less dust over time).

On a slightly related note, you can do something similar for the CPU heatsink: get a bigger/oversized heatsink (provided you can even find a good one for socket 462, as they are kind of rare these days) and put a slower-turning fan on it. That's one way to make these oldschool PCs just a bit more quiet... unless you actually like jet-engine sounds all the time.
              Thanks for the information, just want to be sure on the other capacitors, I didn't think it was really necessary to replace them, I won't yet, just replace the bad caps now and see what happens when the new ones are installed.

I already have a taller heatsink with a fan for the northbridge on order, this old northbridge heatsink and fan is a bit whiney. I tend to be obsessive about keeping things cool in computers, and eventually, I'll be buying a set of Arctic F8 fans to replace the fans in the case to further reduce noise and also some kind of 60mm fan for the heatsink, after that will be replacing the mechanical HDD with an SSD kit from OWC. The computer is rather noisy considering all the old fans.

As for replacing the heatsink, I've found some OEM AMD coolers for socket 462 on ebay that came with a copper slab on the bottom. Here's what I am talking about:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Athlon-...sAAOxyyghQ6NWz

Also this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Ajigo-MF035-0...hlon+xp+cooler
              Last edited by gryffinwings; 09-17-2018, 07:11 AM.

Comment

You're welcome!

The copper piece on the bottom of the heatsink is a nice touch but not necessary for socket 462 CPUs. I'd be more worried about the fan size. The power dissipation of socket 462 CPUs doesn't vary much between idle and load (i.e. these CPUs are pumping out heat pretty much at "full tilt" regardless of whether you have the CPU loaded). Because of that, you will want a 70 or 80 mm fan to keep noise down. With a 60 mm fan, the fan will have to be almost running at 100% speed the whole time to keep temperatures in check.

IMO, 70 mm is the best for socket 462 heatsinks, as these fans are usually slim high-pressure ones. I've seen (and own one) socket 462 CPU HSs that have 80 mm fan attached to it with a "funnel" piece. But because the fins are dense, the fan isn't very effective at moving air through, so its speed has to be turned up... usually until the fan gets too noisy.

And man, over $30 for a socket 462 HS?
                I guess because they are rare now. You can grab a 4-heatpipe modern cooler for the same money from pretty much anywhere (sometimes even cheaper when on sale).
                If you're handy/crafty, feel free to make your own. There's nothing special about socket 462 heatsinks other than their weird attachment. Come to think of it, an Cooler Master Evo 212 might be moddable into a socket 462 heatsink if you can somehow attach the retention bracket from another 462 heatsink (preferably one with a strong retention). I think that's the most effective way to keep these CPUs cool and quiet... though that will depend on what you have for the CPU (which I am curious... what do you plan to use in this board? )

Comment

You're welcome!

The copper piece on the bottom of the heatsink is a nice touch but not necessary for socket 462 CPUs. I'd be more worried about the fan size. The power dissipation of socket 462 CPUs doesn't vary much between idle and load (i.e. these CPUs are pumping out heat pretty much at "full tilt" regardless of whether you have the CPU loaded). Because of that, you will want a 70 or 80 mm fan to keep noise down. With a 60 mm fan, the fan will have to be almost running at 100% speed the whole time to keep temperatures in check.

IMO, 70 mm is the best for socket 462 heatsinks, as these fans are usually slim high-pressure ones. I've seen (and own one) socket 462 CPU HSs that have 80 mm fan attached to it with a "funnel" piece. But because the fins are dense, the fan isn't very effective at moving air through, so its speed has to be turned up... usually until the fan gets too noisy.

And man, over $30 for a socket 462 HS?
                  I guess because they are rare now. You can grab a 4-heatpipe modern cooler for the same money from pretty much anywhere (sometimes even cheaper when on sale).
                  If you're handy/crafty, feel free to make your own. There's nothing special about socket 462 heatsinks other than their weird attachment. Come to think of it, an Cooler Master Evo 212 might be moddable into a socket 462 heatsink if you can somehow attach the retention bracket from another 462 heatsink (preferably one with a strong retention). I think that's the most effective way to keep these CPUs cool and quiet... though that will depend on what you have for the CPU (which I am curious... what do you plan to use in this board? )
                  Wanted a computer for cheap, a project and to play games, play music on a good sound card, which I have on order Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS. I'm essentially working on my computer skills and now the bonus of my soldering skills.

Computer Specs
                  Mobo: Asus A7V266-E
                  CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1700+ Palomino
                  GPU: ATi Radeon 9500 Pro soft modded to 9700 Pro firmware
                  RAM: 512 MB PC2100

Anyways I'm thinking the best way to upgrade the fan is to put in a fan adapter to use 80mm fans on the heat sink as the heat sink isn't dense, but is wide. Or maybe I can get an adapter for 92mm fans.

Comment

Nice. Sounds like you got a plan.

The Radeon 9500/9700 are nice cards, but you also might want to upgrade the heatsink on that. Need something that can handle at least 45W TDP, as those cards run hot and like to develop artifacts (GPU failure) over time.

This was one solution I developed a while back for a Radeon 9700 of mine:
                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...5&d=1444966169
                    I had an 80 mm fan blowing air on the side of that, but it still ran pretty warm. Still, it was many times better than the stock heatsink. So that should give you an idea of what kind of 3rd party heatsink you might want to look for. I can tell you that a Zalman VF-700 won't be enough to keep it cool (but still an upgrade over the original). The VF-900 might be okay, if the holes fit. I think there were a few Arctic Cooling models that fit these heatsinks okay and they cooled them well too. But forgot which ones. ChaosLegionnaire probably knows better here.

Comment

Nice. Sounds like you got a plan.

The Radeon 9500/9700 are nice cards, but you also might want to upgrade the heatsink on that. Need something that can handle at least 45W TDP, as those cards run hot and like to develop artifacts (GPU failure) over time.

This was one solution I developed a while back for a Radeon 9700 of mine:
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...5&d=1444966169
                      I had an 80 mm fan blowing air on the side of that, but it still ran pretty warm. Still, it was many times better than the stock heatsink. So that should give you an idea of what kind of 3rd party heatsink you might want to look for. I can tell you that a Zalman VF-700 won't be enough to keep it cool (but still an upgrade over the original). The VF-900 might be okay, if the holes fit. I think there were a few Arctic Cooling models that fit these heatsinks okay and they cooled them well too. But forgot which ones. ChaosLegionnaire probably knows better here.
                      I've got a temp cooling solution on the card right now and it doesn't seem to have issues, the old one was shot as the fan wasn't working anymore, I found a sort of universal cooling solution on eBay sorta like the ones that Philscomputerlab mentions on the way it looks like the VF700 except for that it is aluminum. But at the moment, the current cooler that I got for the GPU doesn't really get hot and I keep it at 1024x768 resolution and that works fine, but then I probably haven't pushed it very hard to begin with, I think the VF700 should be more than enough, considering all the copper, I may actually get that one in due time.

Comment

the board can take up to a 2600+ tbred. I might have a 2400+ lying around I can sell you. I would have to test it first
                        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                          the board can take up to a 2600+ tbred. I might have a 2400+ lying around I can sell you. I would have to test it first
                          I'll PM you.

Comment

Capacitor replacement was a complete success!!! The first time I've soldered something that small. The blue and silver caps are the new ones I installed today.

Last edited by gryffinwings; 09-18-2018, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Looking good. Caps properly oriented too!
                              I really like seeing classic hardware like this getting restored again. Good job!

Comment

Looking good. Caps properly oriented too!
                                I really like seeing classic hardware like this getting restored again. Good job!
                                Thanks, I keep getting recommended to fill the empty capacitor spot, but I'm not sure what the point would be in doing so.

Comment

Well, like I said, it's just an extra option when doing a recap, as it allows you to have more choices in what caps to use. And if you are doing overclocking, you might see a benefit with more caps, as the voltage might be a bit more stable.

But other than that... if it already works fine with the new caps, you don't really need to add the missing cap.

Comment

Well, like I said, it's just an extra option when doing a recap, as it allows you to have more choices in what caps to use. And if you are doing overclocking, you might see a benefit with more caps, as the voltage might be a bit more stable.

But other than that... if it already works fine with the new caps, you don't really need to add the missing cap.
                                    Maybe, but the cooling will be an issue finding a suitable cooler, also the caps I have installed are probably overkill anyways for this motherboard. I haven't seen anyway to overclock on this board, the clock speeds are pretty locked in, in the BIOS with is ASUS A7V266-E, so I really don't know what my options would be. Fortunately, I have both the adapter for 60mm to 80mm for the CPU and upgraded Arctic F8 fans on the way, seems like the most cost affective way to improve cooling considering the fans are definitely not pushing as much are as they should be.

Anyways, maybe I will install the last capacitor in some time, I do have one more and it was just in case I messed up one while I was installing.

Comment

well.. as for cooling that 9500 to 9700 softmod card, the ati silencer 1 or zalman vf700 cu should do fine. the r300 gpu used on those cards is only slightly cooler than the r350 gpu used on the 9800 cards; 45w tdp on the r300 vs 50w on the r350.

back in the day, i bought a powercolor 9800se and softmodded it to a 9800 pro and changed the cooler to the arctic ati silencer 1 rev 2 and added 8 copper ramsinks to the video mem. the card lasted me around 7 years of 12x7 usage until it started developing artifacts. so the cooler cooled well and enabled the card to last me a decent amount of time even with heavy gaming and overclocking! so the recommended coolers should be either the vf700 cu or ati silencer 1 rev 2.

if getting the ati silencer 1, make sure its the rev 2 version. the rev 2 version has a raised area on the part of the copper plate of the cooler which makes contact with the gpu core. this allows it to get over the shim on the gpu to make proper contact with the gpu core. the rev 1 doesnt have this raised core contact area so it doesnt make proper contact with the gpu and those gpus will die a fast overheating death.

besides that, the ati silencer 1 also has compatibility issues on some 9500 cards that have the ram chips arranged in an 'I' fashion on top of the card as opposed to the 'L' arrangement. if u have the 'I' ram chip arrangement on your 9500 card, most likely the ati silencer 1 WONT fit. some tall capacitors on the right side of the card will block the cooler from fitting. please refer to this article on rage 3d.

with regards to which one cools better, i have both coolers and i ran tests on both of them and the vf700 cu cools better by a couple of degrees. however, the ati silencer 1 exhausts the hot air produced by the gpu out of the case which leads to cooler overall internal case temperatures. the vf700 doesnt and makes the case temperature hotter, so u may need to improve your case fan cooling if u get the vf700.

i dont recommend the vf900 due to the lack of a backplate on the cooler. both the vf700 and ati silencer 1 have backplates to prevent pcb warping when mounting the cooler. i tried the vf900 on two cards i have that have the r360 9800xt core and they both failed shortly after i mounted the vf900 on them. the video card pcb was warped by some 20-30 degrees after putting the vf900 on them. now, that really hurt considering the 9800xt goes for over 80-100 bucks on junkbay!
                                      I found a sort of universal cooling solution on eBay sorta like the ones that Philscomputerlab mentions on the way it looks like the VF700 except for that it is aluminum.
                                      not sure what cooler u got but is it this chinese small qq cooler? or is it this v9 dual flower fin array aluminium cooler?

i have both coolers as well and if its the small qq one u got since it most resembles the vf700, i can tell u that tiny cooler isnt adequate for cooling the 9500/9700/9800 series of cards. i had that small qq cooler on my aiw 9800 pro and the card developed artifacts after only 1.5 years of 12x7 use. that small qq cooler is only good for cooling the 9550 and 9600 series of cards which have 15-25w of tdp.

if u have the v9 dual flower fin cooler then it should be acceptable. i tested it and it performs on par with the ati silencer 1 except it doesnt exhaust the hot air from the gpu out of the case.

Comment

Working...
                                      X