Carlsbro Colt 45K Audio Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carlsbro Colt 45K Audio Amp

Got one of these to repair and need some advice please.

Basically it's blowing the two input 2AT fuses after the transformer on power up.
    I upped them to 3.15A but they also blew.

The transformer output is ok and the speaker reads 4 ohms in circuit.

As you can see the board is a bit burned at the power transistors (TIP137 & TIP 132). One of them is reading 1ohm across two of its pins. The three serial diodes look ok.

I haven't been able to find a circuit for this amp online. Anybody got one?

Obviously I suspect one of the power transistors but I'm reluctant to take them out as the board is old and burned in that area and once I go at it I'm probably only going to get one chance before the tracks start lifting.

So I'd be thankfull for any advice on which components to lift and check first. And I'd be a bit rusty on checking the power transistors, in or out of circuit, if anybody has a good guide.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Carlsbro Colt 45K Audio Amp

Seemingly these Darlington transistors don't test very well in circuit, or out of circuit for that matter. So I took them out and built a simple ciruit up on a breadboard. Sure enough the one that was almost short above was blown.

Amp back working............

Comment

Re: Carlsbro Colt 45K Audio Amp

Good to hear you got it working!

But yeah, low-resistance between two terminals on a BJT (regardless if regular type or Darlinton) out of circuit usually indicates bad part.

Comment

Working...
      X