PS3 , Part replacement Issue , found the problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 , Part replacement Issue , found the problem

Hello everyone . For the past few days i've been trying to fix this ps3 that i got... First i thought it was the tantulum caps causing red blinking light but it didnt do anything... Then i realised that 1 chip was getting really hot really fast... and it was this chip "mm1593dfbeg" thats the part number from the schematic (motherboard is sem 001). So its a 3.3v regulator and its not outputing it... I figured that if i replace this chip the sony would be up and running ... Unfortunately i cannot find any local supplies of this particular chip ... i was wondering can i replace this chip with something more readily available ... I can put up a picture of schematic with this regulator and how its connected , so if anyone could help me engineer something that would resemble this chip that would be great... Otherwise i will need to start making some phonecalls to local shops which i doubt they will help me...

Re: PS3 , Part replacement Issue , found the problem

Have you checked aliexpress?
    If you can't find one or a substitute, I have few scrap ps3 boards and can mail you one of those ICs.

Comment

You sending me the chip would be great but i was thinking about getting something local that i could replace it with, waiting for weeks to arrive is painful ...Thinking about replacing it with this LM2936MM ... It doesnt have the noise reduction pins ... other than that is almost identical.. If anyone has any knowledge about this it would be helpful...I dont know much about noise in electronics or how it would affect the whole system...

Comment

I just noticed that on original chip there is also a control pin :S ... so this just got alot more complicated... Cannot find anything on aliexpress or ebay... really weird... How long do you think your chip would take to arrive to serbia?

Comment

Originally posted by sigmeyer View Post
          I just noticed that on original chip there is also a control pin :S ... so this just got alot more complicated... Cannot find anything on aliexpress or ebay... really weird... How long do you think your chip would take to arrive to serbia?
          Probably I will be able to post it on Thursday or Friday.
          From BG to UK takes about a week. Serbia is closer, but I do not know how fast is your postal service.
          If you wish I can send a whole board for .. I don't know.. 10eu(?)+shipping ( or kilo slivovica ).

By the way, why don't you try to inject 3.3 volts on the rail from external regulator or dc-dc board? Just to be sure that this is the problem.

Comment

I just found this chip ... Which seems like a viable replacement... the only difference is that this is 1A instead of 500mA ... But maybe i could fit in a resistor in there to limit the output current and everything should be the same as factory. 661j on ebay

Comment

Haha, im not sure if i could send sljivovica with regular mail , but trust me i would..
              Hmm i might actually try that ... I dont really have a professional lab power supply but i think the PC PSU's have a 3.3volt rail right?

Comment

Haha, im not sure if i could send sljivovica with regular mail , but trust me i would..
                Hmm i might actually try that ... I dont really have a professional lab power supply but i think the PC PSU's have a 3.3volt rail right?
                I wouldn't use other PSU because there might be very high differences in the grounds, frequencies, etc.
                Get LD33V or something similar, connect it to the PS3 +12v rail, filter the output and inject it in the 3.3 rail.
                Keep in mind that there might be somekind of a control feedback from the original IC which, if missing could trigger error on the rest of the board... let someone more familiar with those consoles give more info.

Comment

before you replace the chip, make sure there isnt a short between the output and ground.
                  i dont mean the chip, i mean whatever it powers.

Comment

I just found this chip ... Which seems like a viable replacement... the only difference is that this is 1A instead of 500mA ... But maybe i could fit in a resistor in there to limit the output current and everything should be the same as factory. 661j on ebay
                    What is the number on the replacement? Make sure it is the correct voltage. The current rating is what the regulator ic can handle, 500ma can only handle 500ma of current, a 1amp can handle twice as much current. No need for resistors.
                    Last edited by R_J; 02-03-2020, 08:47 PM.

Comment

UPDATE: OK so.... I have taken out the chip .. and that chip wasnt the one causing the problem... However... i have found the problem .. it was the chip on the other side of the board.Sure enough it had a nice big hole in it(i will upload some pictures when i get the time)..Its the IC 2502 on the schematic. On it it says sillicon village scei and some random codes on the lower part of it... On the schematic it says its confidential..
                      However i now have the 3.3volts and the short is gone... But now the PS3 stays on for a shorter time .. i dont get the really hot CPU anymore and the fan doesnt spin that fast.. and after that it goes to red light and beeps 3 times like usual... I was wondering can the ps3 work without this chip? here i found the picture of it online
                      Think i am on to something here .. but maybe im just wasting my time... btw im just fixing stuff for fun.. im not really looking to make any profit doing this.
                      Last edited by sigmeyer; 02-04-2020, 09:30 AM.

Comment

I might actually buy that board off from you after all

Comment

4 inductors?
                          RGBS?
                          is it a RAMDAC??

Comment

you might be correct... alot of the pins come straight from the RSX graphics chip. i think i need this chip for the ps3 to work...

Comment

Tonight I will see what ps3 boards I have left and will post some photos.

Comment

Here are the photos … 2 nice holes on the chip … and i soldered back the 3.3v regulator … nice and dirty
                                Attached Files

Comment

Here is the scrap board.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Ok , cool , how much would you want for that board? i will buy it off from you, its much better cuz i dont need to order from china.. hopefully will arive within 2 weeks

Comment

PM me.. by the way, I do not know why, but the shipping rates to Serbia are insane! 15eu is the lowest price for a 0.5kg package... which makes the whole thing pointless.
                                      I think the best option will be to make a list of components that you need and I send you just them...

Comment

Honestly i think i just need the sillicon image chip for now... I want to test some power rails that go to that chip first , but i think it was that chip that was the causing the majority of the problem... so if you could desolder that chip and send me that would be great i will pm you my info...

Comment

Working...
                                        X