X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS4 - Blue Light of Death

Model CUH-1116A, Motherboard SAB-001

-Constant blinking BLOD, nothing on display
    -Left console powered on for a couple minutes and still blinking.
    -Unable to enter safe mode, holding power button shut downs console after ~10 seconds
    -Fan is working fine
    -Added washers and nothing

Found 99% info that I can fix that only by reballing APU
    but I found short-to-ground? near hdmi port, aand I'm unable to find a replacement for this mosfet? marked as 9F0DA

Anyone?
    Attached Files

Re: PS4 - Blue Light of Death

Originally posted by meciu View Post
    Reballing / reflowing is only a temporary fix... if it even works. Most likely chip die is just getting separated from the chip substrate, and this is usually a result of excessive heat / inadequate cooling. If reballing or reflowing the chip makes it work again, make sure to ramp up the cooling system. This should prolong the repair a little (or possible more than a little). If I recall correctly, both the PS4 and Xbox One use the Radeon HD5770 graphics chip. The HD5k series of desktop cards are generally more reliable than the HD6k and newer series of AMD/ATI cards, but can still fail over time from excessive heat.

but I found short-to-ground? near hdmi port, aand I'm unable to find a replacement for this mosfet? marked as 9F0DA
    Is it a MOSFET? Or a regulator? Or a BJT? With no board designators, it's hard to tell what this is supposed to be (and I cannot seem to find any info for "9F0DA" online).

Comment

Allright then. I've bought board with ripped off hdmi port and pads (WLOD).
      Will see if replacing shorted elements will hopefully fix this BLOD.

Comment

ps4 and xbox one use the hd 7770 gpu chip not the 5770

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          If I recall correctly, both the PS4 and Xbox One use the Radeon HD5770 graphics chip.
          PS4 and XBoner aren't that old.
          They came out in 2013 or so and use GCN based Chips.
          The PS4 GPU is something like a clock reduced HD7870, the XBox one is way worse and only has 768 Shaders, so something between 7770 and 7790.

So no, shouldn't be that.

Comment

Model CUH-1116A, Motherboard SAB-001

-Constant blinking BLOD, nothing on display
            -Left console powered on for a couple minutes and still blinking.
            -Unable to enter safe mode, holding power button shut downs console after ~10 seconds
            -Fan is working fine
            -Added washers and nothing

Anyone?
            That sounds like a broken HDMI port, maybe HDMI Converter Thingy...

A PS4 won't start if they are unable to detect a Display.
            And sadly they only have one display out that isn't even directly connected to the GPU...

Comment

Originally posted by dragos2009 View Post
              ps4 and xbox one use the hd 7770 gpu chip not the 5770
              Ooops, you're right. Guess my memory went corrupt there. I do remember it was HD something -770. But yeah, come to think of it, HD5770 would be a bit too old.

That makes it even more possible for the problem to be GPU (BGA/substrate) -related... But I agree with what Stefan says too: check the HDMI port connections and see if anything appears shorted. It could also be that the HDMI cable that was used with the PS4 got shorted or the connector on the TV/monitor that it was used on was damaged, and that caused damage to the PS4 HDMI. So rule out the simple stuff first: check HDMI port and the chips related to it. Unfortunately, I personally can't give you more info on that, as I haven't had the chance to service any PS4 consoles yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                That sounds like a broken HDMI port, maybe HDMI Converter Thingy...

A PS4 won't start if they are unable to detect a Display.
                And sadly they only have one display out that isn't even directly connected to the GPU...
                HDMI chip replaced already and hdmi connector is in perfect condition!
                as I mentioned before, will see if replacing some of this small components near hdmi will fix something still waiting for 2nd board to arrive.
                Last edited by meciu; 05-28-2018, 02:31 AM.

Comment

HDMI chip replaced already and hdmi connector is in perfect condition!
                  as I mentioned before, will see if replacing some of this small components near hdmi will fix something still waiting for 2nd board to arrive.
                  I'm sure it's old post but I am wondering how did your repair finished? Any luck with that console ?

Comment

^^ Me too bro.

Comment

LOL can see the pushed pin in the photo.... Anyways, still would not be related to BLOS.

Comment

Just going through the forum and looking at console stuff today.

I realize this is over a year old, but the red arrows in picture in Post #1 is to the same node.

Also, the HDMI port in this picture has two pins pushed back. Looks like it was marked up with grey lines in mspaint as well. Is this a photo of your board, or one that you found online?
                        -Thomas
                        I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

Working...
                        X