Samsung LCD TV has Very Bright Picture - LN40A500T1FXZA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung LCD TV has Very Bright Picture - LN40A500T1FXZA

Hi. I have a Samsung LCD tv that has a very bright picture. I've tried the picture reset in the menu, did'nt help. It powers on normally. Has good sound. I've taken the back off, and inspected it. I did not find any burnt parts or bulging caps. Any advised will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung LCD TV has Very Bright Picture - LN40A500T1FXZA

Well, without any testing my first guess would be the tcon board. Let some other people with a bit more experience chime in but if that's the problem it should be a cheap fix.

Comment

I would say t-con gamma IC.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I second that it has Gamma IC problem.
        Never stop learning
        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Interesting. One of my Samsungs used to do that for about 1 minute, a few times a week at random. Not quite that bright though.
          Hasn't done it for a quite a while now.
          36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I ordered a brand new T-Con board, but the problem did NOT change. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Comment

I would suggest testing the gamma voltages first, to see if the T-con you have is defective ("brand new"? or "used from scrapped TV"?). If it is not, then it is probably panel. A small chance the main is bad.

If you need help testing the gamma voltages, post a close shot of the T-con.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Here is a pic of the T-con board. The board I purchased, was brand new. And yes, I would like to test the gamma voltages. Thanks.
                Attached Files

Comment

Between the two white ribbon cables is a box marked GAMMA. This is your test area. On each gold pad marked with a number measure the voltage there. Red probe on test point black on chassis. DC20V range. You're expecting a monotonic (same direction) increase or decrease from 1-17, in the range of 0-15V.

Comment

The TV it was previously opened?
                    Do you see missing screws?
                    On one of the TVs, I took off the panel's metal frame, and when I put it back I have damaged a tiny pot on the panel's thin board. The screen looked like yours.

Comment

Hi, tom66. Here are the gamma voltage readings:

1. 15.7v
                      2. 14.9v
                      3. 12.4v
                      4. 11.5v
                      5. 11.6v
                      6. 12.9v
                      7. 13.1v
                      8. 9.6v
                      9. 8.1v
                      10. 7.5v
                      11. 11.2v
                      12. 7.1v
                      13. 8.8v
                      14. 8.7v
                      15. 8.8v
                      16. 3.7v
                      17. 2.6v

Comment

Definitely a defective gamma IC there; the voltages are all over the place.

Comment

That's what I thought when I seen the eratic voltages. This is the original T-con board. I've already returned the new board, Personally, I don't think the new board was "NEW", it had several scratches on the back of it. Should I get a different board? And Thanks for your time.

Comment

I would try that. New boards usually mean used on eBay, everyone lies it appears....

Comment

To tom66: Bought a used board from a working TV with a broken panel, and it worked perfectly. So yes, those so called "NEW" boards on Ebay are used and untested. Thank You so much for your help.

Comment

I know this is an old thread and sorry to jump onto this thread, but could someone help me also?

I have these readings on the gamma:
                                -eBay tcon
                                1. 15.4
                                2. 13.13
                                3. 14.66
                                4. 14.29
                                5. 13.5
                                6. 11.85
                                7. 12.45
                                8. 9.34
                                9. 8.15
                                10. 6.89
                                11. 6.14
                                12. 5.56
                                13. 5.08
                                14. 4.72
                                15. 4.36
                                16. 3.45
                                17. 2.62

-original tcon
                                1. 10.53
                                2. 12.43
                                3. 11.89
                                4. 11.02
                                5. 10.6
                                6. 10.19
                                7. 9.32
                                8. 4.79
                                9. 7.5
                                10. 6.93
                                11. 6.76
                                12. 8.95
                                13. 5.65
                                14. 5.95
                                15. 4.83
                                16. 3.6
                                17. 3.11

I wanted to know what are the correct or good reading voltages. I can send pictures if needed.

Comment

Both tcon boards seem to be bad. There are irregular spikes in the voltages. The voltages should gradually only drop down with each prior measure.

Comment

Also, the voltages should be symmetric about the mid point of around 7.5V. Both T-cons are defective.

Comment

What are good voltages?

Comment

Working...
                                      X