Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to find broken LCD TV's in your area. Recycled Electronics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to find broken LCD TV's in your area. Recycled Electronics.

I have heard it's possible to get TV's and other Electronic Items from Recycling Centers, does anyone know how to go about finding them in your area?

Thanks!

Re: Where to find broken LCD TV's in your area. Recycled Electronics.

I used to get them from recycling facilities, but they became arsey with it, so now I just buy them off individuals -- good supply if you have a large town nearby.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I been trying to find the electronics collection truck around to talk to the guy I think that would be a good way..

Comment

I use to get everything from local factories, they always have a large amount of ewaste. If you can give them a speal about how you are trying to help the ewaste problem and that you will properly dispose of all of their ewaste for free. If you're convincing enough they should be able to give you ALL of their ewaste and there are some jems in factory gear! Finding a buyer is sometimes harder, for the bigger price tagged things! But I have got everything from a lot of LCD monitors, computer towers, brand new wireless network barcode readers system. It's fun sometimes you won't have a clue as to what it is they gave you but you will have to do a lot of reasearch to figure out what it is, what it does, who would want it, what it's worth and what companies will pay. It's fun sometimes, if you're into that kind of stuff, it's profitable but it takes a lot of work!

Comment

Craigslist, set a price for what you would pay for a TV and stick to it. Folks around here think that because they paid a lot money for a TV when it was purchased , they believe they should be able to get a lot for it even when the screens are damaged. I still go after ones with damaged screens but don't pay more then 25.00 (if they have remote). picked 2 up yesterday both 37" one sharp with a bad bulb and a Hannspree with bad caps on power supply. both ready to give to someone deserving. Got both for 65 total.

Comment

Mike, believe me Virginia Beach is not the only place that people think poop is worth money!

Comment

Yes, I know its just cazy.... here we are not allowed to pick though any recycled places. Once they have them its gone.

Comment

Recycling tech told me most of the TVs they get are crushed for raw materials... quite a shame, really, when many of them are fixable.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yea, when it goes to the recycler they won't let it go. You have to do whatever you can do to intercept the products before it reaches the recycler. I think my best pick was this guy who wanted me to pick up his his 52" Sony Bravia LCD that won't turn on. He said "if you will get it out of here, you can have it for free". So, I picked it up and got it into the workshop, took it apart and busted out the old DMM to start probing and boom! The fuse on the main input was blown!!!! I just so happen to have a ton of fuses, I think I might have paid $0.25 for it. Swapped it out and fired right up! Turned around and sold it for $500 the next day... That was a good day, and days like that make me LOVE this business!

Anyways, you have to be creative sometimes go against the grain and don't think that posting "I buy broken computers and electronics" on Cragislist will get you to victory. Because, in just about every home and business there are valueable electronics that will break just figure out how to get your hands on them first. Also, just to throw out there I make sure that I do the right thing with all the stuff you don't want, I'll post it on Craigslist for free or I have a local recycler for ewaste that takes EVERYTHING for free (as long as you drop it off). But get your money out of it and make a difference by making sure the waste gets disposed of properly. The good karma will bring you more of what you're looking for! I wish I had the time to put into this like I did last year, since the birth of my son 8 months ago, I just don't have time to do much of anything than my customer's computers on the weekends. I hope I could help a little...

Comment

Will the local dumps and garbage pickup i.e. Waste Management take the LCD screens for free if you bring them in? I have like 20 I need to get rid of that had broken screens, just the LCD panel left and a few parts of front bezel.

I used to take every bit of metal off each set and put it aside and then had it taken to recycle but it didn't add to more than a few bucks so not worth the time..

Comment

In my state once trash or recycled goods are in the hands of the company they cannot do anything but break it down.
                      in my town twice a year a non profit program for children does electronic recycling( they charge more than the city). i talked to them and they wouldnt give or sell me anything, even after they were already paid for it.

craigslist is good. i actually bought 1 for $40. the guy said he got no picture and when he changed channel it just changes inputs.
                      first thing i did was autoprogram channels and everything seemed to work.
                      the next day i bought a replacement original remote online.
                      while waiting a week to get my $30 remote i used the tv with no problems.
                      remote came in mail and turned $70 into $250 flipin it on cr.
                      Last edited by ryan74; 10-28-2012, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinm34232 View Post
                        Will the local dumps and garbage pickup i.e. Waste Management take the LCD screens for free if you bring them in? I have like 20 I need to get rid of that had broken screens, just the LCD panel left and a few parts of front bezel.

I used to take every bit of metal off each set and put it aside and then had it taken to recycle but it didn't add to more than a few bucks so not worth the time..
                        Well, I know in NY it's against the law to put electronics to the curb. I'm almost sure every state has followed suit. Just check WM's website and see what they do for e-waste collection. Normally the garbage companies will charge you to dispose of items. However, if you Google, e-waste disposal in <your city/ state> see what that list gives you and either check out the their websites or call them you should be able to find somewhere.
                        The e-waste center I go to is about 20 miles from my house so I like to collect a bunch of stuff before I bring it over there. Also, don't forget to strip EVERYTHING off that might have some value (even plastic) you can make money off of everything if you find recyclers. I understand t=your not going to get much for the metal but hey, if you collect it for a year you might get a couple of hundred dollars and even a few dollars is better than nothing!

Comment

I have heard it's possible to get TV's and other Electronic Items from Recycling Centers are : A - PC Recycler, Inc,AERC RECYCLING SOLUTIONS.

Comment

I'm using craislist also.
                            Here in LA area there is big competition for these TVs and prices are pretty high.
                            If the seller is honest and deals with the first buyer(me), then I can get sometimes good deals, but other then that, I'm paying between $50-100 for a TV.
                            I also pick up monitors, lately I'm trying laptops(2 until now, but haven't sold them yet) and cell phones(not much luck repairing them yet).
                            I'm thinking of trying digital cameras also, above 10MG pixels. I have fixed one which I'm using for myself. There is not much money in these devices, but when the season is slow at the TV department,
                            then I still have somethig to do.
                            By the way anybody have noticed whe the season for TVs is high and when it is low?
                            Right now in LA it's pretty low. Just before the schools began(or maybe some sports, not following) it was a small spike, but then became very slow again.
                            Last edited by tibimakai; 10-29-2012, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Put an ad on Craigslist. I get a few a week with this method. I live within around 3 cities though.

Comment

Working...
                              X