Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fsp250-60hen

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
    the capacitors are a selection of teapo sy, capxon kf and ost rlp. Guess what! The teapo and ost caps look fine, while all the capxon caps are bulging. This adds to what i'm claiming for years, that capxon are awful and should not be considered on par with teapo, ost, samxon, taicon and other non-japanese caps.
    Originally posted by stefan payne View Post
    you make one mistake:
    Look at the series charts of the manufacturers.
    Teapo sy is some mid range one.
    Capxon kf is the worst they have to offer. Gl seems to be much much better (and reliable)

what really would help if we had the prices of the caps from the manufacturer directly...
    If we had that info, we could better assume the quality...

My guess would be that capxon kf might be a bit cheaper than even teapo sc...
    Stefan, you talk so much about your specifications but seem completely unable to understand that they are bullshit.
    They can print whatever shit they want in their "datasheet" (which they just copied from someone else).
    But what's even funnier here is that you are trying to make it sound like the OST caps which have not failed.
    That they would somehow have better endurance specs than the Capxon caps.
    Well let's have a look shall we?
    Code:
    OST RLP
    Load Life of 2,000~3,000 Hours at 105°C

Capxon KF
    Endurance 2000~5000 Hrs at 105℃

Teapo SY
    105℃ 2000~6000hours+R
    Oh, and lets also check at the relevant size: 8mm
    Code:
    Teapo SY: 4000 hours
    Capxon KF: 3000 hours
    OST RLP: 2000 hours
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 02-10-2018, 03:33 AM. Reason: add quote
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
      why??
      when 270uF is sensible for 400W and 180uF for 300-350W, then 100uF for 250W seems logical.

Well, those seem to explode from time to time...
      Nope, it's too low. 120uF should be the minimum requirement for ATX smps and even then, the holdup time must be terrible.

I would rather my psus not explode, but even if it does, it wont take the motherboard with it.

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post

You make one mistake:
      Look at the Series Charts of the manufacturers.
      Teapo SY is some mid range one.
      Capxon KF is the worst they have to offer. GL seems to be much much better (and reliable)

What really would help if we had the prices of the caps from the manufacturer directly...
      If we had that info, we could better assume the quality...

My guess would be that CapXon KF might be a bit cheaper than even Teapo SC...
      So, now you are implying that Capxon GL are reliable and don't bulge.

I have pulled out too many bulging caps from power supplies, more than I can remember. If there was a pattern where the low end series failed more often I would have noticed it.

Some years ago, someone on this forum (not you) said that it makes sense for Capxon KM, that are general purpose caps, to fail in ATX psus and that Capxon KF/GL/GF should do better. Real life proved him wrong. I say that Capxon are bad, no matter the series.

Teapo SEK are GP caps but many times they are used in smps output with very good endurance. Search Thermaltake TR2-500 thread that I opened a couple of years ago. This is not a coincidence.
      Last edited by goodpsusearch; 02-10-2018, 06:04 AM.

Comment

So, now you are implying that Capxon GL are reliable and don't bulge.
        No, just that GL are better than KF.

Some years ago, someone on this forum (not you) said that it makes sense for Capxon KM, that are general purpose caps, to fail in ATX psus and that Capxon KF/GL/GF should do better. Real life proved him wrong.
        Probably because KM are not water based, KF/GL/GF are water based.

Then again, would be nice to have (factory) prices of the caps mentioned here...

My guess would be that the KF are the cheapest, Teapo SC and OST RLP are more expensive than those...
        Last edited by Stefan Payne; 02-10-2018, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Check out these older proprietary albeit venerable (and built like a tank with mostly Japanese capacitors and very large heat sinks) Dell Newton Power 250W supplies with APFC:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=266
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...012#post146012
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=267

Notice how despite the modest 250W rating, they have a 180uF 450V Nichicon LU as the primary capacitor. As goodpsusearch said, the hold-up time of a 100uF primary in an APFC PSU won’t be very good at 250W.

I guess this is the one who mentioned that CapXon’s low impedance series would last longer in applications “suited” to them. And I doubt KM use anything but a water-base electrolyte (at least in the low to medium voltage caps), as electrolytes based on organic solvents are rather expensive for a cheap brand like CapXon to produce on a mass scale. That said, it is possible to design a PSU such that GP caps can be used without issue. Bestec seem to be capable of it, so long as high quality GP caps are used (but I get the impression that using GP caps in place of low impedance caps in a SMPS is more a sign of cheapness rather than “good” design).
          Last edited by Wester547; 02-10-2018, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
            Notice how despite the modest 250W rating, they have a 180uF 450V Nichicon LU as the primary capacitor. As goodpsusearch said, the hold-up time of a 100uF primary in an APFC PSU won’t be very good at 250W.
            Exactly.

And I doubt KM use anything but a water-base electrolyte, as electrolytes based on organic solvents are rather expensive for a cheap brand like CapXon to produce on a mass scale.
            KM series is as bad as any other Capxon series is. I had good luck only with Capxon primary caps, but this is not a big achievement...

I believe that the datasheets they publish is bs too. I have measured the esr of non bulging KM and KF/GF 2200uF 10 and 16V same diameter and height and found no notable difference. They might just be the same caps with different sleeve label.

(but I get the impression that using GP caps in place of low impedance caps in a SMPS is more a sign of cheapness rather than “good” design).
            Most of the time I see GP caps in smps output it's just cheapness and cost cutting.
            Last edited by goodpsusearch; 02-10-2018, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X