Xbox 360 caps keep failing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox 360 caps keep failing

Hello all, I am a new member here and I was hoping to resolve an issue I am having with my Xbox 360. So a couple of years ago, I got my hands on a brand new day one Xbox 360 with the xenon motherboard that was never opened or used. Thinking I had a great gaming collectible and thinking I could overcome the infamous reliability issues, I decided to power it up. However I was dissapointed to find the console was completely dead. But, after several power cycles I managed to get the console to stay on longer and longer until it appeared to be working. I did some research and came to the conclusion there may have been some capacitors to fault. So I decided to undertake the repair myself and learn a new skill while I was at it. I opened it up, and discovered there were about 3 capacitors that where blown. So I bought a soldering iron, solder, flux, a few tools and a few replacement capacitors off eBay. Changing them proved trickey, but I managed to replace them to the best of my abilities. I then powered on the console and it worked flawlessly... for about 3-4 months. Then the console had some startup issues again and it took a few power cycles to get it going, but when it was on it worked perfectly. So I opened it back up, and sure enough 2 more caps had blown. So I have repeated this process of replacing caps every 3-4 months about 5 times now. At this point I have replaced ALL of the Nichicon 6.3V 2200uf and the Nichicon 16v 1500uf with some Panasonic’s with the same value but I continue to have power up issues. Am I missing something? We’re the replacement caps supposed to be the same brand and series that was in the original? (Some of the new caps were smaller then the originals, but they still fit and we’re the same rating.) any help would truely be appreciated! I would love to figure this out!
    Last edited by MaxRocker247; 02-12-2018, 02:01 PM.

Re: Xbox 360 caps keep failing

If I’m reading right, you replaced all the failed 2200uF 6.3V Nichicon (I’m guessing there were either the HZ or HN series), and the console is still having problems staying on even after you replaced all the caps. What series of Panasonic capacitors did you use as replacements (you need to match the specs of the originals insofar as voltage, ripple current, and ESR)? I hope you used 16V rated capacitors for the +12V input of the buck regulators on the board. The previous caps would have been, or should have been, 1500uF 16V Nichicon HN.

Comment

Yes they were 16V I typed 10 but changed that. And they were fj series for the smaller ones. I believe the originals were 10x20. I’m unsure about the other ones but the voltage and uf matched. The console stays on fine, but getting it to turn on takes a few tries, but once it is on it stays on and works perfectly. Thank you for the quick reply!

Comment

So it seems matching the series was an important factor that I didn’t consider. I’m doubting that the new ones matched the esr and ripple of the originals. Would this cause the other older caps to fail as well? Maybe putting the correct series back in would solve the problem.

Comment

I recommend avoiding eBay in the future when buying caps as eBay mostly sells counterfeits. There could be an issue with the power brick if it has trouble powering on the first few times, so I suggest opening it up and seeing if anything (caps, etc) need replacing inside (so we can rule out the power brick first). It's possible a small start-up capacitor is high ESR, or that there's a cold solder joint somewhere.

Comment

Occasionally I get the 1 red light error with code 1020 which says cold solder. I believe I have a spare 203w power brick that I could use as a test. Would changing my replacement capacitors with something proper be the first thing I should do? If so what are good replacements and where can I get some?

Comment

That depends on what the series is, as well as the case size. You said you used the Panasonic FJ series, but what else did you use and what were the specs of those caps?

Comment

The FAQ section of this forum lists good replacements and where to get them. But you also need to compare datasheets of both original and replacement capacitors to ensure ESR and Ripple current are suitable.
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

I replaced the nichicon 6.3v 2200uf hz(m) with Panasonic 6.3V 2200uf FJ. And I replaced the nichicon HN 16V 1500uf with chemicon 16V 1500uf kzj. I left all others alone because these were the only ones blowing. I have changed all of them at this point

Comment

Well, I do find the fact that the 1500uF 16V Nichicon HN were blowing too to be a bit worrying. It could suggest that either the PSU is at fault or someone “oven tricked” the 360. Your power brick could have bad caps in it too - it wouldn’t hurt to open it up and see. BTW, (M) is not part of the series name but it denotes the common 20% -/+ capacitance tolerance rating of many capacitors. KZJ is also a fairly unreliable series of capacitors.
                    Last edited by Wester547; 02-12-2018, 05:28 PM.

Comment

the 360 couldn’t have been oven tricked because it was brand new. And it seems more likely that the power supply is the culprit. And are those replacements fine or should I change those as well?

Comment

And is it possible the caps dried up with age? The console was in a box for 10 years before it was ever turned on. Maybe they failed in groups because I only replaced a few at a time. And I never had to re-replace any that I put in.

Comment

I would do a full recap on the power supply and most of them on mother board
                          Can you please post the photo of the mother board to what type of caps it has
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply
                          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I replaced nichicon 6.3v 2200uf 10x20mm hz with Panasonic 6.3v 2200uf 8x20mm fj. I also replaced the nichicon 16v 1500uf hn with chemi con 16v 1500uf kzj. Console still has trouble starting up but none of the new replacement caps are blown or swollen. I have not checked the power supply. Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by MaxRocker247 View Post
                              the 360 couldn't have been oven tricked because it was brand new. And it seems more likely that the power supply is the culprit. And are those replacements fine or should I change those as well?
                              Does the motherboard look brand new or do you see any signs of discoloration or heat damage on it? If the latter, someone definitely put it in the oven and it was used.

Wet electrolytics do dry up with heat and age, especially as the rubber bungs deteriorate, but they aren't supposed to bulge and leak just sitting in storage... unless the electrolytic composition is poor. It would be interesting to see the condition of the PSU caps.

Comment

The motherboard is bright green with no discoloration. Warranty seal was intact before I opened it, and the seal to the box itself was still intact before I opened it so it was definitely brand new. I am tempted to crack open the power supply and see if I can figure something out. Is there any obvious things I should look for?

Comment

I would look for any swollen or leaking capacitors, possibly bad solder joints on the underside of the PCB. But it's possible that the capacitors went bad without signs too.

Comment

Ok I’ll take a look and in the meantime I’ll just use my extra power supply. And what would be a good replacement for the nichicon hz 6.3v 2200uf and the hn 16v 1500uf capacitors that came on the board? I’m having trouble tracking down nichicon hz... thx

Comment

Nichicon HM, HN, and HZ went out of production years ago (although there’s still some stock for sale on this site). You should be able to successfully polymod the VRM input and output using these replacements:

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=76
                                      https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=78
                                      Last edited by Wester547; 02-13-2018, 10:26 AM.

Comment

So these capacitors should replace all 16v 1500uf and 6.3v 2200uf? And which one replaces which? Im unfamiliar with polymodding

Comment

Working...
                                        X