Panasonic Plasma - 10 red blinks TH-P58VT20A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic Plasma - 10 red blinks TH-P58VT20A

Well it looks like I'm not the only owner of a dead Pano plasma.

Mine went 'pop'
    I was sure it was something power related as it was a decent pop when turning the set on. It flashed white, something went pop then it went blank and started with the 10 blinks. It does this once the cord is plugged into an outlet not when you try to turn the TV on when on stand by.

So I thought I'd find a capacitor is a bad way but nothing is overly evident to my problem. No obviously blown caps, no discharge, no burnt sections on any board.

So I took a pick of what I think went wrong. If anyone with more experience than me can chime in that would be great.
    Next I'll start unplugging boards just to cancel them out as a cause to the 10 blinks.

The caps most far left of each board are the ones in question. The one top left of the left board is most definitely convex at the top.
    I was expecting it to be split. Surprised it wasn't from the noise it made.

Many thanks Steve.
    Last edited by HDS; 12-19-2016, 04:52 AM. Reason: adding attchment

Re: Panasonic Plasma - 10 red blinks TH-P58VT20A

Check out the SC board for shorts, It'll be loads of IGBT Transistors on the SC short-circuit Start with Q661 (That one Always goes when they 'Pop')
    --It Wont be the PSU pictured, That'll be fine.
    Last edited by Alastair E; 12-19-2016, 02:00 PM.
    TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
    http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
    PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Agree with Ali this set uses the tnpa5081 or tnpa5105 SC board known to fail. I dont like your diagnoses though could of done some research on panasonic plasmas with 10 blinks first.
      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

I've read a few nights worth of stuff on the 10 blinks and found this place to have the best answers and advice.
        I didn't realise a tiny transistor could make a sound like that but after looking up what they do and the loads they carry it makes sense.

I'll check the part number on my SC board and pull it out for inspection.

Thanks Steve

Comment

OK so my board is a TNPA5175 (SS is a TNPA5176)

The SC2 plug comes as a short.

I found several of the IGBT's to have a short between their source and gate pins but after reading about them they normally short between their drain and gate pins?
          I tried the method of charging the gate pin then testing the drain but still couldn't find a short through any of the IGBT's drain pins and their source pins.

You guys were right about the SC board and saved me a heap of time. Many thanks, especially at this time of year.

So if I've diagnosed the IGBT's as the cause of my short properly do I replace the blown ones or take the easy option and replace the SC board if I can find one?
          Last edited by HDS; 12-20-2016, 06:24 AM.

Comment

i would personally get it refurbished as you only have to miss one part and all your new parts can blow again also theres a risk of fake parts etc this is a company i see recomended on this forum
            http://www.ptselectronicsinc.com/txnsc1lzuu/

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
              i would personally get it refurbished as you only have to miss one part and all your new parts can blow again also theres a risk of fake parts etc this is a company i see recomended on this forum
              http://www.ptselectronicsinc.com/txnsc1lzuu/
              Thanks for the link.

After looking at a youtube video on how to replace the components with a service kit I'm pretty sure that's not for me.
              Time to find a second hand board or get mine repaired.

Anyone from Australia that can recommend a repairer please let me know.

Thanks and a Merry Xmas to you all.

Comment

also a lot of service kits dont include all the faulty parts so you still have to buy some other parts.

Comment

also a lot of service kits dont include all the faulty parts so you still have to buy some other parts.
                  Yeah. She made a almighty pop.
                  No way of knowing for sure which components are toast or not without the proper equipment and testing.

I found this link
                  http://www.cradeal.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=1180

States that these are new boards. I find that hard to believe as they list 9 in stock and a a really good price it seems to good to be true.

There's is listed as TNPA5175AB, my board has TNPA5175AG.
                  The listed part number is TXNSC1LYUU where as I've found other listed as TXNSC1LZUU.

I'm guessing the Y/Z and AB/AG are regional codes and the boards are interchangeable?

Comment

OK CraDeal.com is a no go. Dodgy prick.

http://badbuyerlist.org/buyer/b532469bc59bc9bac08f

Comment

Originally posted by HDS View Post
                      OK CraDeal.com is a no go. Dodgy prick.

http://badbuyerlist.org/buyer/b532469bc59bc9bac08f
                      i was just looking at the site reviews too does look a dodgy company
                      https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...2180820AAKc8es

Comment

i was just looking at the site reviews too does look a dodgy company
                        https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...2180820AAKc8es
                        Yeah I found out even more than that. The 9 boards in stock was a dead give away

Comment

maybe tw2005 (a member on this forum) will have a idea as hes good with panasonic plasmas plus from australia so may know someone in your area to repair it for you.

Comment

maybe tw2005 (a member on this forum) will have a idea as hes good with panasonic plasmas plus from australia so may know someone in your area to repair it for you.
                            Thanks for the tip. Time to get the ball rolling. Footy season is fast approaching.

Comment

So I've had the SC board looked at and it's fine.
                              So I'm confused.
                              So I went through the flowcart again and removed the S11 and S33 plugs from the SS board (with the SC board still out) and got 6 blinks.

Still have to test the SS board for a short but after finding a short on the SC board without there being one I don't want to make the same mistake.
                              Is it possible the SC board showed a short at SC2 because its ribbon was still plugged in?

Comment

Ok. I found a short at SS11 and across most of the IGBT's of the SS board.
                                I've also been told that IGBT's can go 'pop' without showing any signs of failure.

So with the SC and SS boards out I go from a 10 blink to a 6 blink code.
                                The 6 blink code is due to Open connection between connector D20 on the D board
                                and SC20 on the SC board. (the ribbon cable)

With the SC board in but the SS board out it powered up green for 20 seconds then came back with a 10 blink code.

There is no short of the Vsus or Vda at the power board.
                                So with the short at SS11 my 10 blink fault code should come down to a short across the Vsus due to the SS board, even though it blinks 10 blinks with or without the SS board in the TV?
                                Last edited by HDS; 01-24-2017, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Just letting everyone know I received the SS board back with all the failed IGBTs and what not replaced and she's back up and running.

Thanks to everyone who helped out. Learning how to diagnose the problem and the successful outcome was quite an enjoyable experience.

Comment

Working...
                                  X