Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KSGER T12 OLED - says ERROR or INVERT

Hi guys
    I bought myself a KSGER T12 soderig station. This one from ebay - I thought it was a bargain for £43 inc postage with all those tips and the alloy handle

It's this exact listing
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KSGER-MIN...72.m2749.l2649

Anyway, it arrived and is as described with all the tips included as seen in the pics but it doesn't work properly

When I power it on, it takes several seconds for the OLED display to come on. Is that normal?

Then it flashes a temperature 27C then ERROR then 34C then ERROR. The tip does not get warm and I tried several tips

I also bought a separate BCM-2 tip
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1piece-T1...72.m2749.l2649

and I tried that. This tip behaves differently and said INVERT (or it could have been INVERSE), then says ERROR

I've read around the net that this problem could be caused by the tips not inserting far enough into the handle but they seem to go all the way in up to the raised flange on the T12 tip.

I know I could send it back but if it is something simple to fix it would save me some hassle

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by dicky96; 02-02-2020, 02:03 PM.
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Re: KSGER T12 OLED - says ERROR or INVERT

I have a Bakon 950D that uses T12 tips. I've had to bend the contacts out slightly in the handle to ensure they made decent contact with the tips.

I've also had the bottom of a tip come off and get stuck in the bottom of the iron stopping further use until it was removed.

Perhaps dismantle the handle and have a look to check the wiring is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
      Hi guys
      I bought myself a KSGER T12 soderig station. This one from ebay - I thought it was a bargain for £43 inc postage with all those tips and the alloy handle

It's this exact listing
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KSGER-MIN...72.m2749.l2649

Anyway, it arrived and is as described with all the tips included as seen in the pics but it doesn't work properly

When I power it on, it takes several seconds for the OLED display to come on. Is that normal?

Then it flashes a temperature 27C then ERROR then 34C then ERROR. The tip does not get warm and I tried several tips

I also bought a separate BCM-2 tip
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1piece-T1...72.m2749.l2649

and I tried that. This tip behaves differently and said INVERT (or it could have been INVERSE), then says ERROR

I've read around the net that this problem could be caused by the tips not inserting far enough into the handle but they seem to go all the way in up to the raised flange on the T12 tip.

I know I could send it back but if it is something simple to fix it would save me some hassle

Any suggestions?
      One note take the soldering handle apart but be careful when pulling out the circuit board out so you do not break the wires bend the spring metal contact make contact to the soldering tip contacts but be careful not to bend them to much or you can break the metal contacts

If this does not stop the error message then do the following

This happens when you buy the non Kesger soldering tips
      But saying this let it keep flashing the error message until it gets to over 300*C then it should stop flashing the error message then turn off and let cool down and turn it back on now it might flash the error message once again but should be brief and maybe a couple of times and then it should be okay at this point
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-02-2020, 02:53 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I'm sure the tip is not making contact. If I measure the resistance between the two rings on the tip then I get a low resistance.

If i insert the tip I don't get a low resistance between any two pins of the 5 pin connector

I do get a connection from one pin to the main body of the tip (ground I guess)

The little PCB seems to be well stuck inside he handle, Is there some technique to getting it out without breaking the wires?

Cheers
        Attached Files
        Follow me on YouTube
        ------------------
        Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

I'm assuming that little PCB must come out forwards, as if it came out the other way (by pulling the cord) there would be nothing to stop it pushing backwards when you inserted the bit
          Follow me on YouTube
          ------------------
          Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

It looks like the silver end unscrews from the black handle
            Attached Files

Comment

I'm sure the tip is not making contact. If I measure the resistance between the two rings on the tip then I get a low resistance.

If i insert the tip I don't get a low resistance between any two pins of the 5 pin connector

I do get a connection from one pin to the main body of the tip (ground I guess)

The little PCB seems to be well stuck inside he handle, Is there some technique to getting it out without breaking the wires?

Cheers
              Does this help?
              Attached Files

Comment

You might not be putting the heater in all the way, it goes in until the flange in the handle end. This is really important dfor the socket - the higher quality handles have a socket instead of pcb.

To take apart a 9501 clone handle, unscrew the end-tube at the heater end and push the cable in, so the insides slide out.

It takes several seconds for the 24V PSU to come up, and then a few more for the RTOS to boot up. I think my station takes 5 seconds before the OLED is on.

edit: added pics of pcbs
                Attached Files
                Last edited by redwire; 02-03-2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Cheers
                  You have to move down the strain relieve boot from the soldering iron handle and push the wire cable up the handle and gently pull up the circuit board
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

I got it sorted - there isn't a circuit board inside the handle it is a plastic thing with clips to connect to the bit (so this is one of the higher quality handles?). The silver part unscrewed from the handle section with the stain relief and the plastic part with the clips was screwed onto that

with the iron disassembled and a tip pushed in I could get it to work, but wiith it reassembled it would not. After having a very close look I figured out that the tip can not insert far enough into the handle to contact the clips

This is because there is a white silicone insert in the front section of the handle (the end where the tip inserts) and it is a bit too long so the tip can not insert far enough. I had to tease it out a bit with a small sharp screwdriver and slice a couple of mm off with a Stanley knife.

The soldering iron now works fine

Having done a bit of soldering with it my first impressions are very positive.

I think this was a bargain at £43 inc postage for the 220V version with a built in 24V PSU, with the aluminium handle and the following tips included

T12-BC1
                    5x T12-BC2
                    T12-BC3
                    T12-BL
                    T12-D12
                    T12-D16
                    T12-ILS
                    T12-J02
                    T12-KU
                    T12-K

And I also bought a T12-BCM2 tip separately

The seller seems to be a general shop and they just had one of these. They listed it as new and it does look new but maybe they got it somewhere and thought it didn't work or never tried it?

If anyone else has the same problem the attached pics should help
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by dicky96; 02-04-2020, 06:11 AM.
                    Follow me on YouTube
                    ------------------
                    Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

i use T12 all the time - love it!

but
                      T12-BC1
                      5x T12-BC2
                      T12-BC3
                      T12-BL
                      T12-D12
                      T12-D16
                      T12-ILS
                      T12-J02
                      T12-KU
                      T12-K
                      is that "5x" an error?
                      those tips are normally about €3 each - that's €42 worth of tips!!
                      original hakko are about €35 each!

Comment

No it is 5x

One was loose and the other 4 are KSGER branded in sealed plastic, unopened . You can see them in the photos of the original ebay listing I posted

I don't know why this was so inexpensive - they even had a best offer option but I just payed the £43 before someone else did - this was in UK pounds but it is still only about 49 euros
                        Last edited by dicky96; 02-04-2020, 05:24 PM.
                        Follow me on YouTube
                        ------------------
                        Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

I got it sorted - there isn't a circuit board inside the handle it is a plastic thing with clips to connect to the bit (so this is one of the higher quality handles?). The silver part unscrewed from the handle section with the stain relief and the plastic part with the clips was screwed onto that

with the iron disassembled and a tip pushed in I could get it to work, but wiith it reassembled it would not. After having a very close look I figured out that the tip can not insert far enough into the handle to contact the clips

This is because there is a white silicone insert in the front section of the handle (the end where the tip inserts) and it is a bit too long so the tip can not insert far enough. I had to tease it out a bit with a small sharp screwdriver and slice a couple of mm off with a Stanley knife.

The soldering iron now works fine

Having done a bit of soldering with it my first impressions are very positive.

I think this was a bargain at £43 inc postage for the 220V version with a built in 24V PSU, with the aluminium handle and the following tips included

T12-BC1
                          5x T12-BC2
                          T12-BC3
                          T12-BL
                          T12-D12
                          T12-D16
                          T12-ILS
                          T12-J02
                          T12-KU
                          T12-K

And I also bought a T12-BCM2 tip separately

The seller seems to be a general shop and they just had one of these. They listed it as new and it does look new but maybe they got it somewhere and thought it didn't work or never tried it?

If anyone else has the same problem the attached pics should help
                          i got from 2 years "quicko" t12-952 station modified with this handle and still working great.

Comment

mine is over 4 years old now, and i still have not had to replace any tips - these things never pit or burn away!!!

Comment

The T12-clone stands suck! Good tips but the handle leaps out and burns carpet! How hard is it to clone a Hakko stand. LOL
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by redwire; 03-02-2020, 11:28 PM.

Comment

I found the same thing with the one that I have but I think it because the angle is not quite enough and the center of balance is off so the back end with cord is heavier than the front end of it
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

i made a stand - it's in the ghetto-mods thread.

Comment

I want one of these

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...ing+iron+stand

The reviewers say it works perfectly with the aluminium handle
                                    Follow me on YouTube
                                    ------------------
                                    Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Ooops that was the wrong link

This one....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3299...archweb201603_
                                      Follow me on YouTube
                                      ------------------
                                      Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Ooops that was the wrong link

This one....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3299...archweb201603_
                                        Stand looks good but avoid using the sponge, they can thermally shock the tips which decreases their lifespan on the long run.

Get one of these instead. Try coaxing the seller in sending you one(they are already sending the metal wool as per the link you provided)
                                        https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3245...archweb201603_

Comment

Working...
                                        X