*Craigslist Special* Admin Password Locked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Craigslist Special* Admin Password Locked

So, I bought a computer off of Craigslist and the Admin Password is locked in BIOS. I took the time to disconnect the BIOS battery and when that failed I even jumped the BIOS chip to come up with yet another failure. Now, this computer is so old, I don't even know why I'm wasting my time with it but does anyone have an unlock code for a Dell Latitude C840 (Service Tag# FWTHJ11)? Thank you in advanced for any help you're willing to give!

-Peter

Re: *Craigslist Special* Admin Password Locked

What I've found so far:

Code calculator generating a password out of the laptops serial number
    http://dogber1.blogspot.de/2009/05/t...ered-bios.html
    https://rapidshare.com/#!download|54...ygen.zip|9|0|0

Paperclip trick (erasing a 24C02 EEPROM which contains the PW)
    http://web.archive.org/web/200311030...ell/dell6.html

Comment

I tried the paper clip trick, it didn't work, for some reason... I will give that code calculator a shot a little later when I get home from work! Thanks for the help!

Comment

I know it's been a while but I completely forgot about this post... the serial# code calculator did not work. As you can tell it's nothing urgent but if anyone has any other ideas as to how I can get this admin password cracked, I would highly appricate it.

Thanks in advanced!

Comment

Recently I came across a Dell that had a BIOS password I could not crack. I wanted access to the BIOS to change the boot order (to reinstall Windows). If you are in the same situation, you can do what I did: Install the laptop's HDD in another laptop (preferably with same/similar CPU, GPU, chipsets, etc). When the installation is done, transfer the HDD back to the "problem" laptop.

Comment

^Will only work if Windows installs multiple chipset drivers, or the chipset is very similar/the same, or it will bluescreen on boot.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yea, I know that trick I need to get this cracked... I think I might just replace the BIOS chip, that should do the trick! Lol! Thanks for the suggestion though! I do appricate it!

Comment

-595b or -2a7b or -1d3b

Comment

TRY THIS (fn+ENTER TO VALIDATE)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nope... they don't work. This is what the problem is. I have to enter a code for the Config Password for this to be able to disable the admin password. If that makes any sense! If you go to the Admin Password field it says it's enabled and you are not allowed to disable it unless you enter the Config Password. Now this shows the Config Password as disabled, and you have to enable this, but the code in unknown. Unlike the other fields when you go to put a password into it instead of being a blank box there is a line of stars, so you would figure the password is entered already. I'm about to give up on this, this computer is so old anyways and it's been sitting on my shelf for over a year. I think I might just use it for target practice! lol!

Comment

The other codes didn't work either, even with using the fn+enter.... I'm telling you this computer has been a thorn in my side!

Comment

loooooooooooooool

Comment

Thanks for the help!!!!!!

Comment

Find eprom or bios chip that holds passwords. look for tools to decrypt bios to find password. I would just replace chip if you can confirm it will work

Comment

The only thing that makes me worried about replacing the chip is that I reset the chip and it will not reset. So if I replace it and it still is stored I will go ape shit that I wasted $5 on this old computer.

Comment

Hate to tell you this but Dell laptop BIOS passwords are virtually uncrackable.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter9DO View Post
                                  So, I bought a computer off of Craigslist and the Admin Password is locked in BIOS. I took the time to disconnect the BIOS battery and when that failed I even jumped the BIOS chip to come up with yet another failure. Now, this computer is so old, I don't even know why I'm wasting my time with it but does anyone have an unlock code for a Dell Latitude C840 (Service Tag# FWTHJ11)? Thank you in advanced for any help you're willing to give!

-Peter
                                  Try this pal.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Do NOT touch heatsinks when testing for voltages as they may be LIVE!

Comment

@Sparky, I'm starting to realize that... lol!
                                    @gilly1984, I will try that next, thanks for the help!!!!!!

Well, I was working on the laptop and retrace my steps, make sure I was doing things right seeing that I have worked on this so long ago I don't remember what I had completed (seeing my notes on this one were not very complete, I'm sure out of pure frustration ). So, I want to make sure I'm shorting this BIOS chip properly, I found a webpage that says you have to short either 2 & 7, 3 & 6 or 4 & 5... I have done all 3 of these combinations with no results! I believe I have found the schematics for this chip, but seeing the actual chip is obsolete I'm going off of an ROHS version that I think is the same. Also, I took a picture of the chip itself.

If someone could please help me and just run through the process of shorting the chip to verify that I'm doing this all properly and to make sure I have done the right pin combination, I would be in debt to you! lol! Thank you for all the help that everyone has provided thus far!

Thank you in advanced,
                                    Peter

Attached is an image of the chip and a data sheet for 24c02-x
                                    Attached Files

Comment

I'd like to mention my own input on here, as not one person (after looking through at least 40 forums and tech website searching for the right jumper location on one of them) I almost bricked one myself before it hit me. If you are going to do the jumper cmos to ground for 30 seconds to attempt to erase it then PLEASE USE A 100 OHM THROUGH HOLE RESISTOR - NOT A PAPERCLIP. Why you ask yourself? this is why, with a paperclip on the wrong jumpers you just destroyed your motherboard. A 100 OHM resistor will still drain the circuit completely may hold it 45 seconds instead of 30. But the resistance will stop complete destruction if it slips or you get bad advice on which spots to connect. Because you did not want to destroy the CPU with 19V input.

I have a theory on the Bios password issue as well so don't throw it away yet. Sorry but If it works I'll present it at the next white Hat maybe. Or It will be a complete waste of time and not yours ass well for attempting it. Sorry It's working these damn corporate jobs. I'm getting distrustful of people stealing my ideas (it happened many times in the past 10 years or so) But I'm learning not to play well with others. Isn't that great.

Comment

iirc i zerofilled one and it went into manufacturer config mode.
                                        it posted as a compal.next reboot it was again a dell.

Comment

Working...
                                        X