Wireless access point losing wireless security settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless access point losing wireless security settings

Today, I found that a Telstra-issued ZTE wireless broadband modem from a client of mine lost its wireless network security settings (through no fault of her own), and became "unsecured".
    In the past, I found that a Linksys wireless router from a client of mine suffered the same fate not once, but twice.

Has anyone else ever experiened such a problem?
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Wireless access point losing wireless security settings

I had an old Linksys (wired) firewall/router which started giving poor Internet download speeds- some of the time. It would choke and then work fast etc. Then I logged into it and found the security settings had gone to defaults (OFF!)
    I think it progressively got worse, crashed/rebooted and loaded factory-default settings. I don't know how long I was naked (no firewall) but it's always a shocker finding that out. Like leaving your car unlocked in the ghetto...

Once the speed got really poor, I tore it apart and found the problem was bad capacitors in the router. Changed a bunch of 100uF's and it never happened again.

Another possibility, if a remote firmware upgrade (Telstra) was done and things went back to factory-default settings.

Comment

Working...
    X