Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMD diode with Red-orange-blue

Or blue-orange-red.

Anyone any idea? I need to replace one, but i really have no idea what knd off diode it is?

It's probably a switching diode, but i need it's specifications so i can find one to replace

It's ZD6, just below and to the right of the circle.

See this picture, which is made by another member who had the same problems!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...chmentid=13706
    Last edited by koektrommel; 05-22-2010, 06:01 PM.

Re: SMD diode with Red-orange-blue

That's a Zener diode, probably 6.3 v but don't take my word for it.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

yes, 6.3V zener, red denotes cathode. Did the location marking on the PCB say Zxxx, ZDxxx or ZVxxx, or crooked line touching the triangle? If it says Dxxx or like or with straight line touching a triangle is diode.

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=h...dc6da03facde11

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

You can see the diode on the picture at the link. It's marked as ZD6 on the psu, so i think it's indeed an Zenerdiode.

But, what's strange is that on a similar PSU, there's on position ZD6 a diode with only a yellow stipe on.

I'm thinking this red-orange-blue is not good anymore: when using the digital multimeter in diode testing mode, it's measuring 45 and 45 out of circuit. Is it correct, that that diode is not good anymore?

The diode at the same position on the working PSU gave different measurements: 1 and 7-800 which is what it should be. That makes me think the red-orange-blue diode needs to be replaced.

(On the board, one transistor Q1 was shorted and bulged. Replacing it didn't work, so that's what makes the diode suspect for me, even because of the two different measurements of one and the same diodes on the same position of the PSU)

Do you think this diode is faulty?

Comment

Measure cathode side of the zener to the ground, carefully when plugged in. If 6.3V, it should be appox 5.8V to 6.2V. Rememeber this is on hot side ground.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

yea i know all about that hot side ground crap. just make sure the multimeter you use isnt a AC powered one. things explode.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it!

I'll try to check the voltages if that's possible. I found out that according to the colours it should be 6.3V or 3.6V

Comment

It is most likely to be a 3.6V device, because there are no 6.3V devices (6.2V is the closest but no match) according to the E24 values.
                My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Did you ever find the right zener diode (ZD6), because i have the same one blown on my psu 17" ALS Imac, and I want to try and replace it, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by humango View Post
                    Did you ever find the right zener diode (ZD6), because i have the same one blown on my psu 17" ALS Imac, and I want to try and replace it, thanks.
                    I have the same one as well on several power supplies. When I go to mouser I"m lost on what the package size should be, current, temerature, etc. Does anyone have an exact part number, Digikey would be fine too.

Comment

Working...
                    X