Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad caps in two digital photoframes

Hi all,
    I have gone round and round with two companies trying to get parts for two digital photoframes with bad caps. It appears both units have the same caps, yet since they oozed out, I can't find any identification on them. I have uploaded a pic in hopes someone may be able to tell me what they are.
    Cheers and thanks,
    Kim
    Attached Files

Re: Bad caps in two digital photoframes

those are crystals, the brown shit is glue!

Comment

stj,
      Pretty quick response, thanks. Any idea why these are in a photoframe? I can't find a schematic and they both will not power on, with solid power supplies. If that is glue, then it oozed out all over the placed in the other unit.

Comment

Those are crystals thatare required by the microprocessor ic, they are glued in place so when people drop and bang the frame around the crystals that have fine wire leads don't break off the board.
        Whats the model number?
        Last edited by R_J; 07-16-2018, 07:01 PM.

Comment

one crystal is probably 32.768KHz for the date/time tracking, the other is probably 24MHz for the cpu
          and they are probably fine, you just need to scrape all the glue off the board.

possible schem.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by stj; 07-16-2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            you just need to scrape all the glue off the board.
            +10

The glue that's on your board is well known here to go conductive over time and mess up circuits. I suggest removing as much of it as possible and then cleaning the board with IPA. If that doesn't bring back the board, then we will go in further and try to see what is wrong. But with the brown glue in there, there's no telling if that's the problem or not (in many power supplies, it is, hence the suggestion to remove it.)

Comment

Working...
            X