Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 17r-5737 (la-9984p) - Turns off after few seconds

Hello,
    I've got a Dell 17r-5737, model with intel i7-4500u and amd radeon 8870m, board number la-9984p. When I press power button it turns on, shows dell logo and after that shuts down. It doesn't matter if I let it continue booting from hdd or I enter into BIOS, it shuts down. Whole process takes about 6-7 seconds from moment the fan starts spinning.
    I have already tried reflashing BIOS using built in recovery process(holding end key while plugging in power, with connected usb with fresh files) from this tutorial.
    What is the next course of action, does anyone have any experience with this or similiar problem?

EDIT: Fun thing is that laptop remained turned on during that flash, which took maybe 5 minutes, although with screen off, if that rules anything out
    Last edited by ivmilicevic; 11-11-2017, 02:20 PM.

Re: Dell 17r-5737 (la-9984p) - Turns off after few seconds

If you enter BIOS page at startup, does the laptop display any page correctly?
    does any IC get hot on the mainboard?
    when it shuts down, do you see any bad graphics on the screen?
    remove all removable parts from the laptop and test it again.

Comment

If I enter BIOS everything shows up correctly, I can switch pages without any defects on the screen. When it shuts down there isn't anything strange, it's just pulling a plug from the wall while laptop is working.
      Nothing gets too hot too touch, general area around CPU and GPU gets a bit warm after few startup attempts, but nothing out of ordinary.
      I have tested board out of the case, with only 1 stick of known good ram and only power button and screen connected, it still does the same thing.
      Also there are not signs of water damage, nothing strange looking on the motherboard

Comment

Have you flashed Bios?? Might be bios issue

Comment

I have already tried reflashing BIOS using built in recovery process(holding end key while plugging in power, with connected usb with fresh files) from this tutorial.
          Can you make bios upgrade from tutorial, from start to end?

Comment

Turns it off while executing this job?

Comment

I have tried writing two bios dumps and still no luck, both by desoldering eeprom and programming it with CH341A. First one is dump from tutorial linked in first post, and with that one there is no image on screen, just fan spinning, laptop turns off after few seconds.
              Second dump is from this forum post. Same thing as with first one, no image and turns off.

At the end I have restored original dump taken before flashing anything, and now there is no picture on the screen, even though it was functional before flashing two other dumps.

Also few times, with that original bios, laptop beeped 7 times and didn't shutdown until I removed charger. It doesn't have any rule when it happens, it's random. Apparently 7 beeps indicate cpu failure, but I can't get it replicated.
              All voltages are present, cpu_core is 1.75V which seems bit high but I can't find what voltage it's supposed to be in schematic. I have no ideas on how to proceed, maybe disabling discrete gpu and see what happens(according to this post just one coil needs to be removed?)

Comment

I have removed GPU Coil(PL802) from motherboard and that didn't make any difference. So laptop now doesn't show any image on screen and turns off after 7-10 seconds, even with dump of BIOS I made before flashing newer ones. Is there anything else I could check or is it beyond repair?

Comment

probably it is an easy repair, but finding the faulty component takes time. probably the GPU is healthy. it may be a faulty capacitor. but I am not sure. you may have to check various sections of the board to find the faulty component. take a lot of care to avoid more damage.

Comment

Hi, Iam facing same problem, did you ever solve this issue?

Comment

Working...
                    X