Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-8IHXP

Originally posted by cods69
    One strange thing....I still got partially corrupt graphics (no where near as bad as before) with my ti4400 and another old cheapo PCI card (the same ones I tested with when pc first died).
    I put in a different PCI cheapo which has never been on this board and the graphics are clean! Reset BIOS to defaults cause it complained about settings.

All I can surmize of this is that there are still bad caps on the board, or the 2 cards I tested with may have been fried? Testing further.
    Back when I said this, I did not quite realize how close I was.
    The board is working, and as I see it, was possibly working when I posted the above message.
    What has actually happened, is when the cap went, it has fried not only my ti4400 AGP, but another 2 old PCI vid cards as well, when I put them in for testing/diagnosis.
    I probably fixed it when I replaced the first cap, as Gigabyte/Synnex have done. I just did not know, 'cause of corrupt grafx/hanging system which was largely intermittent until an OS was loaded. (although the ti4400 graphics is VERY corrupt even in BIOS screens)
    Another thing that threw me was the UltimateBootCD's version of DocMem, which I have since found hangs on any system I run it on...ie. bad version on the CD.

I have since burned in with a crappy new AGP ATI 9250, which has been rock solid for 24hrs.

I guess I should be thankful that all is working and Gigabyte actually replaced a bad cap on an out-of-warranty board, even though it took 6 weeks and they have only done the one cap replacement (with an OST of all caps! )
    Not to mention that it was probably working when I replaced that same cap first up (see previous posts), but the mobo had already fried 3 of my vid-cards, thus tricking me, the dirty dog....

I'm now waiting for some 6.3V 3300uF and 1500uF caps from RS to do a complete cap replacement (even the Sanyo's) on this board.

Ahhh....the saga is nearly over it seems.

Originally posted by kc8adu
    you can bet the others will go soon.
    sounds shoddy to me.
    time to send it to tc or me to get it done right!
    Shoddy is right (the OST replacement).

Thanks for the offer to send it to you guys.
    After I replaced virtually all caps on this board, then changed them back to the originals just to RMA the board (while destoying flux evidence), then getting it back from Gigabyte with only 1 changed cap, and the mobo still being functional, has given me the confidence to run with the ball.
    Last edited by cods69; 11-28-2005, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I have had numerous problems with GA-8IHXP (REV 3.0) "Devil boards". The original came from my computer manufacturer. It burned out after 6 months.

The manufacturer then replaced the board, memory, and CPU.

That board burned out in only a few weeks. I contacted the manufacturer again shipped the board out and, it was returned DOA...

I contacted the computer manufacturer yet again, they stated I needed to contact gigabyte.

I contacted gigabyte, and they were very fast processing the RMA etc…

I received the same board, DOA…

I tried to contact gigabyte a few times and got no valid response… (see letter to gigabyte)

I just recently got back to Ohio and I'm requesting an RMA# for the DOA board here is what I sent gigabyte.

-----------------------------------------------------letter to gigabyte-----------------------------------------------------------
      Hello,
      I sent my mother board in for repairs (approx 12/27/04). When I received it,( approx 1/9/05) it wasn't working properly! I then took it to Tech Computer 1/14/05 to insure it was in fact the mother board and not the CPU. I didn‘t have a mother board to test the CPU… Tech Computer, insured me it was not the CPU as it worked on another mother board! I have also tested all of my hardware, and found none of the hardware to be at fault, only the mother board itself.

When I had gathered this information 1/14/05 - that the board was at fault - I called gigabytes office and they issued me another “RMA#” for the DOA Motherboard, they also issued me a UPS “ticket” (VIA E-mail). When I got home I noticed the “ticket” had the wrong name, and address. I had called gigabyte numerous times after, and received no response to the problem… I would have e-mailed gigabyte back, but I had no computer! The response I did get was, “you have the UPS ticket send the board in (they specified packaging).” They totally ignored the fact that the ticket had the wrong name and address… I think it was an issue of English. I had asked to talk to someone that spoke fluent English numerous times also, they told me the same thing about the ticket, and would say thank you and hang up…

I then received a call from my aunt about 12 hours later, saying my uncle was sick, I had to move to New York to help take care of him, as she works full time… I just got back to Ohio a week ago, after my uncle had passed… I have been going threw paper work, and found these forms… I am very disappointed with my motherboard not being fixed, and the lack of response I have gotten from gigabyte on the issue… I would like my DOA motherboard fixed… I have been through enough these past months, and I have the right to a proper working mother board which I paid for.

The time span has been wide but it isn't my fault I got no response to the issue… I went to a computer repair shop to insure it was the mother board, it cost me 50.00, but I did it to save gigabyte, and myself time. I called gigabyte numerous times and ran my phone bill up. I do hope with my situation's with gigabyte that there will be no issue in replacing the mother board. I have the tech computer invoice, as well as the papers from gigabyte I can e mail them...

Thank you,

Brandon *********
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm awaiting gigabytes response currently… Please note with every problem I've had with these boards , I've tested all my hardware with the exception of the CPU. The cpu and the mother board were tested at tech computer! My advice would be to stay the heck away from this board… I will stay the heck away from all gigabyte products in the future…

Comment

Did I mention I'm out of $415.00 for 1 gig of pc1066 Rdram. (BRAND NEW NEVER RAN)

a p4 2.66 ghz cpu. (BRAND NEW NEVER RAN Still has the intel stock thermal pad on it...)

a 500 watt Power supply. (like new)

a ati radeon 9200 vga vid card. (like new)

If i don't get this board repaired, I'm out all of that. The only other option I haveis to - get a new board! What boards support rdram anymore? I have no other MB that will support any of that hardware except the power supply. All my current PS's work fine in my other computers... IF gigabyte WILL NOT FIX THIS BOARD I'M screwed... I'm disabled and don't have the money to buy a new board or pay someone 50+ $ to fix it... Sorry I'm just upset, venting and warning others...

here are the papers...
        Last edited by Brandon; 12-17-2005, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Couldn't edit post after 10 mins so, heres the papers...
          Attached Files

Comment

are the caps blowing up?
            any visible damage?
            or just no post?

Comment

Brandon, its ok to vent but you have to give us some more info about the issues your board is having and perhaps some photos if you want us to help you fix it.

The only other option I haveis to - get a new board! What boards support rdram anymore? I have no other MB that will support any of that hardware except the power supply.
              there are always 850 boards on ebay. i would recommend you get an intel original d850 board if you eventually decide to go that route.
              capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                Brandon, its ok to vent but you have to give us some more info about the issues your board is having and perhaps some photos if you want us to help you fix it.
                there are always 850 boards on ebay. i would recommend you get an intel original d850 board if you eventually decide to go that route.

I thought 850e was wiped out like DOS.
                I've never used e-bay *earth quakes*. Have you ever used e-bay for mb's etc? I'm worried I won't get the product, or get burned with a burned out one.

Ok back to the board.
                I just reseated cpu, memory, vid card, power switch, reset switch, power led, and all the others on the panel...I get no post, but everything runs, MB-CPU-Case *fans*... I even have a light on the board glowing bright. (light for memory)

I have 256 mb pc1066 rdram x4 mods installed. (If your not familiar with rdram you need crimm in empty slots, and must run atleast 2 mods at a time.) no empty slots! The case is not grounding the board out. (tested out of case)

The PS runs fine on p3 box. Memory is new, cpu is fine. (see tech computer invoice above)

There are no cracks in board, and from what I remember no bad caps . As for the caps/cracks, I will check again, as soon as I find a darn mag glass.

Thanks for the replys, and understanding in this situation. I will reply soon.

Brandon.

EDIT: No video. shorted cmos also...
                EDIT: video card meets voltage standard.
                Last edited by Brandon; 12-17-2005, 07:52 PM.

Comment

I also forgot to mention... The power switch will not turn off comp, the rst switch won't restart comp, and the comp has been running about 10 mins in hope it will do something...

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon
                    I get no post, but everything runs, MB-CPU-Case *fans*... I even have a light on the board glowing bright. (light for memory)
                    That is exactly the same symptoms I got with an 8IHXP replacement I bought on ebay. (got my money back) See my previous posts for more details.
                    I did not attempt a fix on it due to it still having a return option, which I took.

Another board you can use is the Asus P5T533, and there is an Intel D850EMV2 board, both with 850E chipsets that can run @ 533/1066 bus.

Comment

Ok as for the board, I think I know whats wrong! I won't state it until i find out what gigabytes says. Lets just say theres no visable cracks/bad caps, and I'm searching e-bay.

Comment

if you are using ebay then always check the feedback of the user. you want to buy from someone with a lot of good feeback. The feedback you want to see should be from "Buyer" and not "Seller". People doing a lot of selling on ebay want to avoid having bad feedback so try hard to be good sellers.

Read the description also carefully. does the seller state that the product has been tested by him or not. ask questions if you are not sure about something. Finally it is a good idea to use paypal and not send checks/western union. dont close the sale outside of ebay because then you have no protection from ebay. If you follow all that you will have a happy shopping experience. i have bought quite a few items happily on ebay.

Regarding your board, i have re-read your posts but still have no idea. There are quite a few posts on the net with similar problems and the same board. If you get it working it will still need recapping because it has many crap cap brands on it.

Comment

cods69 :
                          Another thing that threw me was the UltimateBootCD's version of DocMem, which I have since found hangs on any system I run it on...ie. bad version on the CD.
                          i have had similar experience with docmem on one chipset (i think it was 875) memtest86 is an alternative.

Comment

Will this board support Kingston Rdram? KVR1066x16-8/256 http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd...nternalmem.htm
                            Intel 850 that is. I found one "never opened".
                            Last edited by Brandon; 12-19-2005, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Kingston says it does, intel didnt check all modules.

Intel D850EMV2 Motherboard

PLEASE NOTE
                              This system/device is listed by Kingston as "No longer supported". We provide part number and upgrade information as a courtesy to those visitors that might need it.

Part Number Description
                              KVR1066X16-4/128 128MB 1066MHz 4-Device RIMM
                              KVR1066X16-8/256 256MB 1066MHz 8-Device RIMM
                              KVR1066X18-4/128 128MB 1066MHz ECC 4-Device RIMM
                              KVR1066X18-8/256 256MB 1066MHz ECC 8-Device RIMM
                              KVR800A16-16/512 512MB PC800-40 Non-ECC 16-Device RIMM
                              KVR800A16-4/128 128MB PC800-40 Non-ECC 4-Device RIMM
                              KVR800A16-8/256 256MB PC800-40 Non-ECC 8-Device RIMM
                              KVR800A18-16/512 512MB PC800-40 ECC 16-Device RIMM
                              KVR800A18-4/128 128MB PC800-40 ECC 4-Device RIMM
                              KVR800A18-8/256 256MB PC800-40 ECC 8-Device RIMM

Comments
                              MODULES MUST BE ORDERED AND INSTALLED IN PAIRS. Only one bank of 512MB 1066MHz modules are supported. This system supports ECC (A18) and non-ECC (A16) modules.

533MHz system bus requires PC800-40 or 1066MHz RIMMs. Current P4 processor speeds capable of 533MHz are: 2.26, 2.40B, and 2.53GHz+.

System Memory Configuration
                              Standard Memory: 0MB (Removable)

Maximum Memory: 1GB using 1066MHz Rambus modules
                              2GB using 800MHz Rambus modules

Expansion: 4 Sockets (2 banks of 2)

CPU & ChipSet: Intel Pentium 4 2 GHz
                              Intel Pentium 4 2.53 GHz

Bus Architecture: AGP; PCI
                              Mfgr's System P/N's: MARYVILLE II

Comment

Reporting speed?

willawake, I wanted to post this info here for other people with 850e/Kingston pc1066 RDRAM. (I'm sure you understand) If anyone has more info on it please post. Thanks!

there is probably no over clocking on those 850 Intel boards though.
                                There is no need to OC. When the gigabyte MB was working, this comp would [STRONG] seriously[/STRONG] cook. (If you could/can OC them I'm sure you would have a small gain)

the only problem I see is a possibility your ram causes problems for you on the new board. Kingston did release some of their 1066 sticks which were not perfectly according to the specification. I think this is a remote possibility though and you will have to see how it goes.
                                I assume your talking about the memory/chip reporting it's speed? If not please let me know!

I am aware that the current RDRAM I have does have problems with the GA-8IHXP board. It may have just been the chip on gigabytes board, But I think it is the RDRAM, and I think it effects other boards also. The pc1066 would report to the bios as being pc800, and not pc1066. EASY FIX on GA-8IHXP, I just went into BIOS, and set speed at pc1066.

My main concern here is, the Intel 850e board (D850EMV2) doesn't allow you to change memory speed in BIOS. Well from what I've read you can‘t change the memory speed in the Intel BIOS. Now I'm not sure if this is correct because of the 850E being old, and the net having old information on the boards BIOS, or what. If the memory reports pc800 to the BIOS on the Intel MB, I couldn't change it like I did on the old gigabyte MB! EEEKK!

I will continue searching.

Thanks,
                                Brandon.
                                Last edited by Brandon; 12-19-2005, 08:46 AM.

Comment

I bought my 8IHXP (with Kingston ram) brand new when it was released years ago.
                                  The first lot of Kingston ram was faulty, as was the second lot I RMA'd.
                                  I have copies of email from Kingston admitting they had a huge batch issue with their ram and the 8IHXP/P5T533. Apparently the 'bad' ram worked ok on the Intel 850E boards.
                                  The bad ram failed tests (Memtest) at 533/1066 bus speed, but passed at 400/800 bus speed (which is not ideal with a 1066 capable CPU).

The final (working) replacement ram from Kingston was rebadged Samsung. It still has 'samsung.com' stamped on the heat shield.
                                  I imagine there is still lots of the 'old faulty' Kingston ram out there. (lucky for the lifetime warranty!)

BTW, be careful with the (vast) differences between the 850 and the 850E.
                                  Only the 850E has 533/1066 bus capability.

i have had similar experience with docmem on one chipset (i think it was 875) memtest86 is an alternative.
                                  Yeah - that Docmem on UBCD 3.3 does not work on any chipset I have tried it on (850E, VIA Apollo, 2 different BX boards and some others I can't remember)
                                  I think there is something wrong with it's bootloader.

Comment

Originally posted by cods69

The final (working) replacement ram from Kingston was rebadged Samsung. It still has 'samsung.com' stamped on the heat shield.
                                    I imagine there is still lots of the 'old faulty' Kingston ram out there. (lucky for the lifetime warranty!)
                                    Lifetime warranty is only good for repairs as they don't make it anymore! :/

As for the samsung stamped RDRAM I have it, and had the speed issue on the ga-8IHXP 3.0 board.

Kingston-
                                    "The compatibility problems we had with this memory and this motherboard
                                    were due to the BIOS. I suggest you clear the CMOS, reinstall the
                                    memory,
                                    go straight to the BIOS, and manually set the memory speed to 1066.
                                    Make
                                    sure you are installing the memory in pairs and you have CRIMMS for the
                                    empty slots. After you boot up and get everything else taken care of,
                                    update the BIOS. If this still does not work, call our technical
                                    support
                                    center at (800)435-0640. Since we no longer make RDRAM, you will have
                                    to
                                    send it in for repair per our warranty."

So It was the BIOS on the board.

Cods69 thanks for pointing out the memory will work on an intel 850e!
                                    As for my MB, gigabyte sent me an RMA#. I think it will come back DOA.
                                    Last edited by Brandon; 12-21-2005, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Lifetime warranty is only good for repairs as they don't make it anymore! :/
                                      So.....let them 'repair' the ram. My guess is they will 'find' some that works.
                                      Depending what country/province you live in, local law may 'force' a company to uphold what their Warranty claims.

Kingston-
                                      "The compatibility problems we had with this memory and this motherboard
                                      were due to the BIOS. I suggest you clear the CMOS, reinstall the
                                      memory,
                                      go straight to the BIOS, and manually set the memory speed to 1066.
                                      Make
                                      sure you are installing the memory in pairs and you have CRIMMS for the
                                      empty slots.

So It was the BIOS on the board.
                                      Kingston gave me the same rubbish (deterrent?) when it first happened to me.
                                      It's nothing to do with the mobo/bios etc., as they admitted to me in the end, when I began procedings for a refund/compensation.
                                      I have, in the years since, tested other bios revisions and they all work fine with the Samsung ram - so much for the Kingston bios theory.

Comment

i thought the issue with kingston was that they supplied a batch of ram with slower chips on it that did not meet the specs. i think the specs of 1066 at the time might have been in question anyway, few manufacturers were making it in the beginning.

i am actually steering away from ram with heat spreaders recently. i like to see the chips. actually i started to continue to buy transcend / jetram. i am yet to see a fail after a few years and the price is good. they started to ship now in proper sealed bubble packs. i was looking at OCZ for myself recently but i cant justify the price. i do have kingston hyperx on my main system though without issue, good ram.
                                        Last edited by willawake; 12-21-2005, 04:19 PM.

Comment

i thought the issue with kingston was that they supplied a batch of ram with slower chips on it that did not meet the specs.
                                          Unofficially, I heard this through the grapevine, but never had it confirmed, until perhaps now? Thanks willawake.
                                          That's why I said (above) that Kingston would not 'repair' ram that needed chips replaced, surely!
                                          Last edited by cods69; 12-21-2005, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X