Cellular signal bar scales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cellular signal bar scales

I have noticed on Windows Phone and Apple devices that the cellular signal bar scales have five bars while Android devices only have four, and I am curious why.
    Fortunately, my automotive audio system has a five bar scale.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Cellular signal bar scales

Really? Mine has 8....
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

pointless anyway,
      is it showing strength, or BER??
      because that second reference is the important one.

Comment

On the iPhone you can show the signal strength in dB I stead of bars.

Comment

again, not much use - you need to know the quality rather than strength.
          the tuner can pull a signal from almost nothing, but if it's corrupted by noise then it's not much use.
          a BitErrorRate percentage would be more usefull.

Comment

I know that too, that the BER is more useful for an RF junkie looking at a digital signal, but the signal strength is a simpler useful tool. Not everyone knows about BER what is actually represents and why it is important. However, signal strength understand everyone. At the end of the day, either it works or: “Whaaat? You’rebreaking Up on me!”

Comment

so your saying it's good to have a placebo-guage?
              like the fake pull-out antenna's on early motorola handsets!!!

Comment

stj, your da hoot! I've had some good laughs with you! I remember the placebo antennas in various items, not only cell phones.

Last edited by CapLeaker; 11-19-2017, 07:05 PM.

Comment

There's no standard for what those bars represent, see : https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...ked-an-expert/

This may also be very informative (shows bar thresholds for iphone 4 ) : https://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/...one-4-review/2
                  Last edited by mariushm; 11-19-2017, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X