Zenith Z42PJ240 no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zenith Z42PJ240 no power

Tv was a dumpster find. Powered on and worked. Took home and it powered on again. Now it gets no power at all. No stand by light. I don't like the power button as its touch sensitive (no actual button). Is there a way to bypass the switch to turn the unit on?

Anyway I checked all the fuses and all are good.

Where do I go from here?
    Attached Files

Re: Zenith Z42PJ240 no power

Need voltages from connector that goes from power supply board to main board. Will need pin#- PIN DESCRIPTION -Pin voltage in standby-Pin voltage when pushing power button and picture of connector on power supply board.
    Format:
    Pin# - Pin Description - Pin Voltage standby - Pin voltage power on
    1 - XXXXXXX - XXv - XXXv
    2 - XXXXXXX - XXXv - XXXv
    3 - XXXXXXX - XXXv - XXXv
    4 - etc.
    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Ok this is odd. Before I plugged in the unit I decided to just double check all grounding screws and make sure they were tight. After that was done I plugged in the tv. Power supply board made a click noise like a relay tripped. Standby light came on and I was able to turn the tv on. Turned it off and on a couple times no problem. I then pulled the power plug. Once I plugged it back in the tv was dead again. No click noise from the psu.

In standby i got 3.5v from the standby pin. nothing from anything else on that header. After turning on the tv I got 17v from the 17v pin and i got 5v from the 5v pin and standby went to 5.2v. After unplugging the tv and plugging it back in I get nothing on standby. I do have 119v going to the input plug on the board though.
      Attached Files

Comment

When the TV doesn't want to turn on, check the STBY voltage that goes to the main board. Also check for cold solder joints. I would investigate the STBY voltage circuit. Maybe there is a bad cap or a crack or something...
        You also can try heating the board with a hair dryer, etc.

Comment

When the tv doesn't have a standby light and it will not turn on I checked and I get no voltage.

Comment

Maybe push around on board with nonconductive tool while plugged in and see if anything changes
            I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Poked and prodded around the board and no change. I did however unplug the main board from the ps board and i could get the relays to click again like it was turning on the tv. Unplug the tv and nothing. So I plug back in the mainboard and as soon as i plug in the mainboard with the power unhooked the relay clicks again.

Comment

so is stby voltage there on the PSU with the main board disconnected?

Comment

correct

Comment

I grabbed a manual from this site

Below is the method it shows for testing power on failure.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X