2.1 speakers burnt resistor of unknown value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.1 speakers burnt resistor of unknown value

I have these 2.1 computer speakers to repair and on the board I found a burnt resistor but I can't read the value. The colored rings are all burnt beyond recognition. All other components seem ok and the speakers turn on but there's no bass coming from the sub woofer. First I want to replace the resistor with the correct value then move on to troubleshooting the other components. Will post some pics tomorrow along with the make and model. Can someone help??
    Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Re: 2.1 speakers burnt resistor of unknown value

Bump

Comment

You should first find the cause of the burnt resistor before replacing it or the resistor may burn up again.

Comment

As always, make pictures... post here.

Some cheap speakers use common amplifier chips, the board may be the reference board in the pdf with the specifications for said amplifier chip or a small variation on that reference design.
        With some pictures, someone may be able to suggest a proper resistor.

Comment

I already found the culprit. It was an amplifier chip with makrings TDA2030A (yet to find a replacement) seen in the lower right corner picture and I already replaced the resistor. Wen I removed the capacitor I couldn't read the values but funny enough I could still measure it It was reading 217 ohms and it was in parallel (Or at least I think it was in parallel ) with two other 220ohm resistors so I'm assuming it's also a 220ohm one. Will post an update later on.

Attached Files

Comment

Update: I replaced the TDA2030A and the 220ohm resistor and all is running fine. Just wondering how can a badly burned resistor give it's correct value after it's been taken out of circuit? Or maybe it wasn't shorted, just the covering layer of the resistor was burned from excess heat while the insides were still good?

Comment

That can happen, usually with carbon-based resistors. They can burn all paint and isolation, even smoke, and they are still good.

Comment

Working...
              X